Carnival Says "Screw You" to Privacy Request

I recently submitted a request via Carnival's website to not have my personal data shared with other companies, here's their response:

In regards to your request to exercise your right, please note this request is applicable to residents of certain states or countries; since you are not listed as a resident in one of these areas within our system(s), we cannot fulfill this request. 

So in other words they're going to keep selling my personal information because it's not a law where I live that they honor my request.  I don't know about anyone else but this just kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, groundloop said:

I recently submitted a request via Carnival's website to not have my personal data shared with other companies, here's their response:

In regards to your request to exercise your right, please note this request is applicable to residents of certain states or countries; since you are not listed as a resident in one of these areas within our system(s), we cannot fulfill this request. 

So in other words they're going to keep selling my personal information because it's not a law where I live that they honor my request.  I don't know about anyone else but this just kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Because you want to pay rack rate for cruises?

10 hours ago, groundloop said:

Start lobbying your state legislators to make one of the states that would force them to honor your request.

• Like 4

….or if it is that important to you, do something else on your vacation.  The US has a much different view on data privacy than the rest of the world.  Whether you like it or not.  That said, thanks for letting us know your thoughts….

• Like 5

This is actually what the response would be for a lot of companies. It is a decent amount of revenue and they aren't going to forego that unless there is a law making them. Truth be told I probably wouldn't opt in even if it were an option. I generally ignore junk mail and junk email anyway.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 5

You want one company to stop sharing your information?  Tell me, how did you get the rest of the Internet to stop sharing your data?? Do you request this on every site or for every company you visit or whos services you use? Just Curious.  I mean I even THINK about looking at something online and ive got tons of ads/emails/etc about what i was thinking about lol

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Discover would not stop sending me junk mail and junk emails. I'd get a junk email every day, and a piece of junk mail at least once a week. I ended up cancelling my credit card with them I got so fed up.

Moral of the story - if a company does something you don't like, stop rewarding bad behavior by doing business with them.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Discover would not stop sending me junk mail and junk emails. I'd get a junk email every day, and a piece of junk mail at least once a week. I ended up cancelling my credit card with them I got so fed up.

Moral of the story - if a company does something you don't like, stop rewarding bad behavior by doing business with them.

There is that, but something like this is so prevalent ultimately it means not doing business with anyone. In the present case not doing business with Carnival and doing business with one of their competitors ends with the same result for the consumer since the other cruise lines would likely respond similarly.  

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

There is that, but something like this is so prevalent ultimately it means not doing business with anyone. In the present case not doing business with Carnival and doing business with one of their competitors ends with the same result for the consumer since the other cruise lines would likely respond similarly.  

They certainly don't have to comply with laws that don't apply in a certain jurisdiction, that's for sure.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

You want one company to stop sharing your information?  Tell me, how did you get the rest of the Internet to stop sharing your data?? Do you request this on every site or for every company you visit or whos services you use? Just Curious.  I mean I even THINK about looking at something online and ive got tons of ads/emails/etc about what i was thinking about lol

Bingo

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I think you had the right idea.  This is not just one company doing things atypical of everybody else in the industry.  It simply is the way it is.  IF the op does not like it, do something else.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, groundloop said:

So does..https://www.cruisecritic.com/about-us/privacy-policy/#category_3

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, kdr69 said:

I worked in electronics for a while. Some people absolutely lost their mind when they heard on the news TVs had some tracking features to make recommendations based on what you watch. Good luck telling them their cell phone, Facebook, email, etc all do 10x more than that. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I worked in electronics for a while. Some people absolutely lost their mind when they heard on the news TVs had some tracking features to make recommendations based on what you watch. Good luck telling them their cell phone, Facebook, email, etc all do 10x more than that. 

The only way to not be tracked when watching television these days is to use rabbit ears on a TV that does not have an internet connection.

Obviously this is all detailed in the terms of service and privacy policies that we all read every time they're updated of course right yes we do.

Maybe the Amish had it right all along.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I live in Virginia and my request was granted in September.  Perhaps email the data privacy officer to escalate your request.

Thank you for your request.This request has been completed. Click here to acknowledge the receipt of this email. We value your business and will continue to deliver on our commitment of excellence.If you have specific questions about this request, please contact our Data Privacy Officer via email at dpo@carnival.com Thank you,Carnival Cruise LineThis is an autogenerated mail, Please do not reply.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

The only way to not be tracked when watching television these days is to use rabbit ears on a TV that does not have an internet connection.

Obviously this is all detailed in the terms of service and privacy policies that we all read every time they're updated of course right yes we do.

Maybe the Amish had it right all along.

Well, the terms and conditions may be presented for people to read but very few do.

4 hours ago, w53097 said:

I live in Virginia and my request was granted in September.  Perhaps email the data privacy officer to escalate your request.

Thank you for your request.This request has been completed. Click here to acknowledge the receipt of this email. We value your business and will continue to deliver on our commitment of excellence.If you have specific questions about this request, please contact our Data Privacy Officer via email at dpo@carnival.com Thank you,Carnival Cruise LineThis is an autogenerated mail, Please do not reply.

Virginia has a law about this, similar to the EU's GDPR. California and a few other states have passed their own variants. I'm assuming the OP lives in a state that has not.

11 hours ago, mz-s said:

Out of all the credit cards, I believe Discover is the worst when it comes to junk mail.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allinwonderland said:

Virginia has a law about this, similar to the EU's GDPR. California and a few other states have passed their own variants. I'm assuming the OP lives in a state that has not.

As I wrote earlier, time to lobby your state legislator if you are not in one of the states protecting privacy.

• Like 1