How fast do boarding times fill during online check-in?

First-timer here. I see that online check-in begins at midnight 21 days out. I'm trying to figure out if I should set an alarm and do this at midnight or if it can wait until 7 AM the next morning. The catch is that I'd like an earlier boarding time (10 or 10:30). How fast do the earlier boarding times fill up? Thanks in advance! 🙂

11 minutes ago, Wisteria13 said:

First-timer here. I see that online check-in begins at midnight 21 days out. I'm trying to figure out if I should set an alarm and do this at midnight or if it can wait until 7 AM the next morning. The catch is that I'd like an earlier boarding time (10 or 10:30). How fast do the earlier boarding times fill up? Thanks in advance! 🙂

You don’t pick a boarding time you pick a checkin time. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cheersforbeers said:

You don’t pick a boarding time you pick a checkin time. 

Apologies! That's what I meant. Thanks, all. Glad to hear I can wait until the next morning and the earlier times won't be full. Cheers! 🥂

Check-In Time:  What time to begin the Check-In at the terminal.

Boarding Time:  Totally different time-- what time you can actually board the ship.  Time will vary from cruise to cruise but usually between 11:00 A.M. and 11:30 A.M.  Cabins however will not be ready until close to 2:00 P.M.

7 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Check-In Time:  What time to begin the Check-In at the terminal.

Boarding Time:  Totally different time-- what time you can actually board the ship.  Time will vary from cruise to cruise but usually between 11:00 A.M. and 11:30 A.M.  Cabins however will not be ready until close to 2:00 P.M.

The earliest checkin get the lowest boarding group = earliest boarding. 

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The earliest checkin get the lowest boarding group = earliest boarding. 

Unless you have status, and then it doesn’t matter. 

Just now, RedwingHockeyFan said:

I've never seen them check anyone's "check-in time".  Just get there when you want. 

Yep!

Generally speaking, the earlier the "check in time" the longer the wait to board.  As pointed out, check in and boarding times are two different things.

9 minutes ago, Wisteria13 said:

Oh shoot. This is what I was worried about. Hmm. Okay, thanks for letting me know!

If you get a 930 checkin  time, you probably won't board until 1130

If you get a 1100 checkin  time, you probably won't board  until 1200.

Is it worth sitting in those uncomfortable plastic chairs for two hours to get on board 30 minutes earlier?

Your hotel room will be much more comfortable.

• Like 3

Keep in mind if you are in the Haven or a suite it won't matter. Our last two cruises my wife and I have 1pm. We arrived at the terminal at 10am and by 10:15 we had our cabin cards and were waiting in the Haven boarding room

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SaveFarris2 said:

Our cruise's check-in opened Friday morning.  My sister hopped on almost immediately and got a 10am.

I waited until Monday morning.  Earliest time available then was 11:30.

YMMV...

Unless you have boarding priority of some kind, it won't matter.  Boarding does not go in order of arrival/checkin.  Handicapped, haven, high lattitude board first regardless of arrival times.

Edited by RocketMan275

Yes but general barding which is after all the priority categories does go by number but the boarding goes pretty quickly.  The only reason, aside from wanting to get your vacation started (an excellent reason) is if you need to make reservations on board and want to get a specific time, place, etc.

But in all honesty, the I can’t say I have ever seen someone with a later time be turned away.  I have seen it with another line, but not on NCL.  

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom

The point is that whatever check-in time you have does not matter.  You can arrive and check in whenever you want, regardless of what your check-in time actually is.  The earlier you check in, the lower your group number, and the earlier you will board.  Your call whether it's worth it to get to the port at 9:30 or so and then sit around for 2 hours just so you can get on the ship at 11:30 instead of 12:00.

• Like 1