The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday February 20th, 2024

kazu

11 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

We have several different varieties of crape myrtles here that bloom at different times. Yes, they are cut back every fall and the easy way for us to keep track is by color. The whites are the first to bloom, then the pinks in mid-spring, then the reds in late spring, then the purple (called grapes here) in late summer. They are beautiful when they bud and flower, and they love the sandy soil!  

3zd5vplm.png

Gorgeous photo of crape myrtles.  We have a pale lavender flower on our tree.  I didn't pick it, the landscaping company planted it without our input.  I really like the darker pinks and reds a lot.

• Like 18

Good Morning! 

We had 2 1/2 days and 6.5 in /16.5cm of rain here which is unusual as it's our dry season. This morning it is also cooler at 48f/ 9c. 

Bread & Butter Pinot Noir

This wine goes well with beef, pork and roasted mushrooms. The vintner also seems to think it goes well with cinnamon toast. I think I would like to try that. Pricing on line starts at $13.99

Winemaker Notes

Delicate and silky notes of bing cherry, sweet rhubarb, and strawberry meld together with aromas of earthy forest floor and baking spices. Finishes with bright acidity that makes every sip linger.

Blend: 100% Pinot Noir

Professional Ratings

• 90 Wine Enthusiast

Charming strawberry and red cherry aromas lead to friendly, fruity flavors and a lightly tannic texture in this medium-bodied wine. A sense of sweetness comes with a soothing texture.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 9

Feb 20

I love coffee but not sure I would make a pot roast with it. 

Coffee braised pot roast with carmelized onions

this one from eating well has oven instructions as well as slow cooker instructions 

https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/248530/coffee-braised-pot-roast-with-caramelized-onions/

image.png.5b95143843c3fcebd5385d4872ab61d7.png

Very similar recipe from the spruce eats

https://www.thespruceeats.com/coffee-pot-roast-3059802

image.png.30103095d396322b7ea5c5777e78f333.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 11

Good morning. It will be forty later with beautiful sunshine. One of the woodland creatures from the large park next door must have bothered the skunk who often visits the neighborhood. I could smell it with the window closed! 
We were in the port with DD and DSIL on the best Hawaii cruise ever quite a few years ago. We went whale watching on a catamaran and then walked through the village. I remember the banyan tree well. Thanks to Sandi for the pictures @StLouisCruisers.

@USN59-79, Bon Voyage to you both. It sounds like a wonderful cruise.

@RMLincoln, Maureen, I was so touched by your reunion with your brother and his wife. I am sorry that she is so ill. Sending prayers for all .

@grapau27, Graham, thinking of you and Pauline today and sending my prayers your way. I loved the picture with your Dad and Sarah.

The recipe sounds interesting.I will wait for instructions. I am with Roy @rafinmd, I don’t quite understand the quote. 
I have been clearing out bookcases and closets( very slowly) for the last several month. My, I have a lot of “stuff “!

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Sandi, thanks for the photos of Lahaina.  I was there twice in 1986 and 1990 for company national meetings.  So many happy memories of the small town.  I went on a company sponsored deep sea fishing.  I was the only one caught a fish, a Wahoo. I remember a small submarine was in the harbor.  Such a beautiful place! 🏝️

• Like 20

10 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Sandi, thanks for the photos of Lahaina.  I was there twice in 1986 and 1990 for company national meetings.  So many happy memories of the small town.  I went on a company sponsored deep sea fishing.  I was the only one caught a fish, a Wahoo. I remember a small submarine was in the harbor.  Such a beautiful place! 🏝️

Do you mean a Yellow Submarine (thanks to the Beatles for that)?

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

• Like 18

10 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It will be forty later with beautiful sunshine. One of the woodland creatures from the large park next door must have bothered the skunk who often visits the neighborhood. I could smell it with the window closed! 
We were in the port with DD and DSIL on the best Hawaii cruise ever quite a few years ago. We went whale watching on a catamaran and then walked through the village. I remember the banyan tree well. Thanks to Sandi for the pictures @StLouisCruisers.

@USN59-79, Bon Voyage to you both. It sounds like a wonderful cruise.

@RMLincoln, Maureen, I was so touched by your reunion with your brother and his wife. I am sorry that she is so ill. Sending prayers for all .

@grapau27, Graham, thinking of you and Pauline today and sending my prayers your way. I loved the picture with your Dad and Sarah.

The recipe sounds interesting.I will wait for instructions. I am with Roy @rafinmd, I don’t quite understand the quote. 
I have been clearing out bookcases and closets( very slowly) for the last several month. My, I have a lot of “stuff “!

Have a good day everyone.

Thank you Terry.

I really appreciate your nice words.

Roy was Pauline's dad.

Best wishes to Tana and yourself.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Looking around the room I'm in makes me realize that yes, it's time to clean out the bookcase, although most of the books are DH's books on music.  I'd like to shout Hoodie Hoo at noon, but we still need lots more snow to help replenish the moisture we lost last year, so there's that.  I may just go out and pick up a cherry pie today. The quote is weird.

It's a cool morning out there today, and although the sky is clear right now a couple of weather apps are telling me it'll be cloudy most of the day.  I do have to go out today, so I'm thinking I'll wear my medium weight jacket and be comfortable.  DH informed me we're out of ice cream (he loves having a coke float at dinner while I'm enjoying my wine), so while I'm at the store, I'll get that cherry pie for dessert.

We heard from our friend who came back from "our" cruise and it seems they had quite the adventure, as his a-fib was acting up.  He ended up going to the infirmary where they put him through a number of tests and he said the tests cost more than the costly insurance did.  Apparently they had a very low-key cruise because he wasn't feeling well, and he felt bad that his lady friend didn't get the experience he was hoping they could have.  I told him that it was time for him and DH to get fixed up so the four of us can have a "do over" cruise, to which he heartily agreed.

Had a terrible thing happen in a small town (approx 1,000 people) about an hour's drive from here - on Saturday there was a house fire that claimed the lives of 5 people; 2 grandparents and 3 children while the parents had gone away for the weekend.  I can't begin to imagine the depths of their grief.  I know the community will rally around the parents - who own a business in town - but how do you recover from something like that?

@marshhawk wishing Chuck the best today as he gets his leg surgery.

@USN59-79 Bon Voyage to you and your DW; I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

@RMLincolnI'm sorry your DSIL is failing so quickly; hugs to you as you deal with so much.

@grapau27 Special days always bring back both happy and sad memories of those who have gone before us.  Thinking of you and Pauline today.

As far as the drink of the day goes, I'll take the Scotch and leave the rest for someone else.  I know I'd like the wine, and while I've used coffee in a barbecue sauce, I've never used it in the liquid for a pot roast - I think it would be quite nice.  I have done a beef roast in the slow cooker in which I've poured a jar of dill pickles, so why not coffee?  I don't have a beef roast on hand, so tonight we'll be having breaded pork chops, baked potatoes and asparagus at the kitchen table tonight with our cherry pie dessert.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, or just down in the dumps.  Cheers to all who have celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

A subdued sunrise from my 2018 Crystal Symphony cruise from Buenos Aires to Miami.  On February 20 Symphony was in the middle of a 2-day call in Lima/Callao:

dawn0220.jpg

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report. Three good days to celebrate. Funny quote. I think I will pass on the food and libations   Thoughts are still going to Lahaina. Was supposed to go there. 

IMG_4282.thumb.jpeg.e455961c1cd714244e448d8e1a9bd01e.jpeg

We are pulling into Philipsburg Sint Maarten. I am going on an excursion hopefully to see the planes at Maho Beach. We received a lovely bag last night and a very nice Legendary Tile. Forgot to take a pic of the tile. I will do that later. 

IMG_4275.thumb.jpeg.1377c1c6deef780c67f8d009e1c0ef77.jpeg

Thoughts for all and cheers to those celebrating!!

Have a great day everyone!!

Love the new Legendary Voyages tote bag.  I wonder if our 42 day cruise this summer is considered one?

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning from North East England where it is 52°F and sunny.

Today is Pauline's late dad's 97th birthday.

He has been in heaven 16 years in July.

Roy was the nicest person I ever knew and this picture of Roy,our Sarah and me was taken in our back garden 35 year's ago.

Thank you to all of the daily regulars who keep the thread interesting.

I am always an optimist.

We tendered into Lahaina from Grand Princess on 

November 26th 2019.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Screenshot_20240220_092145.jpg

Screenshot_20240220_111942.jpg

A beautiful photo of you with Sarah and Roy.  So young!!

1 hour ago, Nickelpenny said:

Here is the tile. 

IMG_4285.jpeg

A great tile, too.  That would be nice to have.

4 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Looking around the room I'm in makes me realize that yes, it's time to clean out the bookcase, although most of the books are DH's books on music.  I'd like to shout Hoodie Hoo at noon, but we still need lots more snow to help replenish the moisture we lost last year, so there's that.  I may just go out and pick up a cherry pie today. The quote is weird.

It's a cool morning out there today, and although the sky is clear right now a couple of weather apps are telling me it'll be cloudy most of the day.  I do have to go out today, so I'm thinking I'll wear my medium weight jacket and be comfortable.  DH informed me we're out of ice cream (he loves having a coke float at dinner while I'm enjoying my wine), so while I'm at the store, I'll get that cherry pie for dessert.

We heard from our friend who came back from "our" cruise and it seems they had quite the adventure, as his a-fib was acting up.  He ended up going to the infirmary where they put him through a number of tests and he said the tests cost more than the costly insurance did.  Apparently they had a very low-key cruise because he wasn't feeling well, and he felt bad that his lady friend didn't get the experience he was hoping they could have.  I told him that it was time for him and DH to get fixed up so the four of us can have a "do over" cruise, to which he heartily agreed.

Had a terrible thing happen in a small town (approx 1,000 people) about an hour's drive from here - on Saturday there was a house fire that claimed the lives of 5 people; 2 grandparents and 3 children while the parents had gone away for the weekend.  I can't begin to imagine the depths of their grief.  I know the community will rally around the parents - who own a business in town - but how do you recover from something like that?

@marshhawk wishing Chuck the best today as he gets his leg surgery.

@USN59-79 Bon Voyage to you and your DW; I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

@RMLincolnI'm sorry your DSIL is failing so quickly; hugs to you as you deal with so much.

@grapau27 Special days always bring back both happy and sad memories of those who have gone before us.  Thinking of you and Pauline today.

As far as the drink of the day goes, I'll take the Scotch and leave the rest for someone else.  I know I'd like the wine, and while I've used coffee in a barbecue sauce, I've never used it in the liquid for a pot roast - I think it would be quite nice.  I have done a beef roast in the slow cooker in which I've poured a jar of dill pickles, so why not coffee?  I don't have a beef roast on hand, so tonight we'll be having breaded pork chops, baked potatoes and asparagus at the kitchen table tonight with our cherry pie dessert.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, or just down in the dumps.  Cheers to all who have celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

That is very sad about the house fire and those poor grandparents and children losing their lives.  The parents must be inconsolable. 😪  Prayers for them all. 🙏

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

Good morning from a mild, sunny day in Wisconsin.  Forecast is for a high of 52F today, I'll take it!  Not sure about the meal today.  We've been to Lahaina, it was beautiful there, along with the other islands we visited.  So sad now.   On our cruise, we stopped in Grand Turk and saw the display about John Glenn and his orbit of the earth on Friendship 7.  @grapau27thanks for the info about Hoodie Hoo day, and warm thoughts to you as you remember Paulines's dad.  

Yay for everyone on cruises now and good thoughts and prayers for all who need them.  

@StLouisCruisersI thought of you when I saw the displays in 2 of the elevator lobbies on the Nieuw Statendam.  They're needle point, not cross stitch, but wow, they were very interesting!  Made me think of your Christmas Stocking!  I used to do counted x stitch when my eyes were younger!  We had the "Caribbean version" of Paczki (a Wisconsin thing) on Fat Tuesday.  I also went to an Origami class and made Valentines!  The suitcases are unpacked and put away.  The laundry is done and now it's back to "normal" life.  We're helping transport grand kiddos while mom and dad take a trip.  I need a spread sheet to keep track of all of their activities!  

Have a great day, K

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

Edited by quilty964
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, quilty964 said:

Good morning from a mild, sunny day in Wisconsin.  Forecast is for a high of 52F today, I'll take it!  Not sure about the meal today.  We've been to Lahaina, it was beautiful there, along with the other islands we visited.  So sad now.   On our cruise, we stopped in Grand Turk and saw the display about John Glenn and his orbit of the earth on Friendship 7.  @grapau27thanks for the info about Hoodie Hoo day, and warm thoughts to you as you remember Paulines's dad.  

Yay for everyone on cruises now and good thoughts and prayers for all who need them.  

@StLouisCruisersI thought of you when I saw the displays in 2 of the elevator lobbies on the Nieuw Statendam.  They're needle point, not cross stitch, but wow, they were very interesting!  Made me think of your Christmas Stocking!  I used to do counted x stitch when my eyes were younger!  We had the "Caribbean version" of Paczki (a Wisconsin thing) on Fat Tuesday.  I also went to an Origami class and made Valentines!  The suitcases are unpacked and put away.  The laundry is done and now it's back to "normal" life.  We're helping transport grand kiddos while mom and dad take a trip.  I need a spread sheet to keep track of all of their activities!  

Have a great day, K

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

Karen, those are beautiful items they had on display.  They're certainly attention getters!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Love the new Legendary Voyages tote bag.  I wonder if our 42 day cruise this summer is considered one?

A beautiful photo of you with Sarah and Roy.  So young!!

A great tile, too.  That would be nice to have.

That is very sad about the house fire and those poor grandparents and children losing their lives.  The parents must be inconsolable. 😪  Prayers for them all. 🙏

Thank you Sandi.

• Like 8

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

My bookcases are in need of cleaning out, but not today. I'll try to remember Hoodie Hoo at noon. I like cherry pie if someone makes it for me. Funny quote. The meal sounds interesting. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I have been to Lahaina, last on Golden Princess in 2012. 4 good days in history.

It's sunny and 32F, up from 21 earlier. We may go up to 50. I had a restless night last night. I haven't heard from my contractor, which is unusual. I'll have to text him. No big plans for today.

@USN59-79 Bon Voyage!

@grapau27 Happy Heavenly Birthday to Pauline's DF Roy.

@StLouisCruisers Lovely photos, especially of you and DH. 

@superoma Thanks for the recipes.

@smitty34877 Prayers for you and Tana.

@ger_77 I'm sorry to hear your friend's heart acted up while on the cruise. I agree, he needs to get that taken care of, so the 4 of you can go and have a great time. So sad about that awful fire.  

@Sir PMP A sad before and after.

@GTVCRUISER Thanks for the photos.

@RMLincoln I'm glad you got to spend time with your DB, although sad circumstances. But I'm sure you were a help to the family in making plans for DSIL.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

A few pictures from Lahaina (my camera broke).

Sunrise as we approach Lahaina

1408305011_219-SunriseinMaui.thumb.jpg.6d8ad23701cbc18605949674184fb94d.jpg

Haleakala Summit

715148726_241-HaleakalaVolcanoSummit.thumb.jpg.6a260bcd8826efd96ae62b6a1ddba1cd.jpg

The famous Banyan Tree

648405939_269-BanyonTreeLahainaMaui.thumb.jpg.5f0b73dbe62089cdab3255f542c1cb84.jpg

Paddle surfer and Golden Princess anchored off Lahaina

786601708_277-PaddlesurferLahaina.thumb.jpg.69b2476fc74f6da3d9e6a440b369b44e.jpg

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

How absolutely horrific, Gerry 😢 😬. I can’t even fathom the pain of losing all your children and parents in one felt swoop.   The poor surviving parents - probably saddled with so much guilt and grief that it is intolerable 😢 

Best wishes to Chuck @marshhawk with his procedure today.  🙏 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Sunny and cold again but no snow here in north Jersey. I did see the tips of (probably) crocus trying to come up a few days ago so maybe spring will be soon. 

I remember Friendship 7’s day vividly!  I never met John Glenn but I did get to chat with astronaut Tom Stafford when he was guest of honor at a Bartlesville OK Biplane Expo; I told him my story of how Friendship 7 changed my life. I was 7, and at supper that night my dad who was not one for any type of encouragement, said that I was the one in the family who had the best chance of going into space!  Because I was the youngest!  Well that moment gave me the hope to dream! Although I didn’t become an astronaut I did pursue my dreams as they unfolded in the next 10-15 years and became what I decided I wanted to be - a geologist!  My father never approved of that path for me any more than if I’d wanted to become an astronaut but that moment was an unforgettable catalyst in my life!  

Bon Voyage @USN59-79!!

I slept better than expected last night!  I’m am still stunned that I saw my brother!  I really had resigned myself that that day might never come. It’s all very sad. The hiatus of him not seeing his family really was to protect his wife who has a long history of difficulties and delusions. I guess it was easier for him to go along. Last night I spoke with my other brother and sister who also haven’t seen him either. Today I will write to my cousins, which my brother gave me permission to do. They too will be surprised that anyone met with him!  My niece is strong and has joined in family gatherings over the years, including one of our cousins reunions in Tuscany. Their path with her mom will be a battle on many levels. One day at a time…. and I have had so many miracles that I’ve learned that there is hope if we choose hope. 

Blessings sent out to you all and our world!  Joys to those celebrating and cruising. Good memories for Pauline!  Gratitude for all the good in Life right now. 

Extra love to Chuck, Terry and household, Vanessa, Gerry’s neighboring town’s unimaginable tragic loss! Thanks to all for being here!  Thanks Paul for your unique interpretation of the drinks!  
Maureen. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lahaina. Hawaii

I'm happy to say we have been to Lahaina while on two Hawaii cruises, and also on two South Pacific cruises.  In 2007 on Diamond Princess we decided to take a whale watching cruise while in Lahaina.  Here's a pic of one of our whale visitors that day.

Afterwards we stepped into a restaurant (Front Street Grill) for a cool drink.  Behind us in this photo is the square with the famous banyan tree.  Shadiest spot in town!

In 2009 while visiting Lahaina on the Golden Princess, we hadn't even tendered to shore yet when what did we see?  A group of whales right off the ship's starboard side.  These photos are from the promenade deck of the Golden.

That day we went shopping with friends Bob and Sandy who were on the cruise with us, then stopped for ice cream at Front Street Grill.

But of course before we left town for our ride back to the ship we stopped to pay homage to the banyan tree.

In 2014 we returned to Lahaina on our cruise in the South Pacific.  This time we walked as far as we could and tried not to stop in as many shops.  We saw the Old Lahaina Courthouse which was being used as a museum, art gallery and visitor center.

Here are ruins of the Old Fort, made of coral blocks and sand.

We even saw the King Kamehameha III school.

Our old haunt, Front Street Grill was now called Captain Jack's Island Grill.

Island architecture.

Shopping, shopping, shopping...

And finally, a church!

And some nice carvings someone was selling.

A Chinese museum

photos taken from the ship later in the day, taking in the scenic island.

In 2017 we visited there on the Maasdam.  Heading to shore on our tender we saw two youngsters surfing nearby.

What a life!

If you stand at the railing and look down at the rocks you see things like this.

There was something in Lahaina for everyone.  I hope the town will be rebuilt soon and the vegetation grows thick and lush again.

We'll be on Maui next month & will definitely miss Lahaina - some of our favorite shops & restaurants were there.  😮‍💨

• Like 17

Good morning from a mostly sunny Quartzsite where it is 56F and heading to 75F this afternoon.  The clouds roll in tonight, and rain is predicted for tomorrow morning.  We had more rain while we were on our cruise.  Even before we left, all sorts of plants which were dormant have started growing.  I think some are wildflowers and will see if the bloom before I spray ground clear.  Almost every part of our lot has some green in it.  In places, the new plants are already so tall and thick they could be mowed.  It's strange having so much green in the rocks.  I suspect this year there might be a super bloom in the desert.

On today's agenda is laundry.  I have most of the cruise clothes washed and put away, and now it's the regular laundry, which should dry nicely outside.

Over the past few years when we were stuck in Texas, I cleaned out our bookcases.  That won't be happening today since we don't have a bookcase here.  I'll not be shouting Hoodie Hoo today.  We won't be having cherry pie either.

The Don Marquis quote is just plain weird.

We'll skip the meal since DH bought some nice ribeyes yesterday.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds like one that would go nicely with our steaks and baked potatoes, if we had it.  Instead, it will be a cardbordeaux.

We have been to Lahaina many times, including on our latest cruise.  We could not go any closer to the town than the bypass road to the resort area.  It was a very sad and sobering experience.  There is still a lot of clean up to be done before they can begin rebuilding the town.  The On Deck for a Cause on our cruise raised money to go to the recovery fund.

Four interesting days in history.  Unfortunately the US postal service needs to get back to its roots.  All mail is taking way to long to reach its destination.  We found out yesterday that one friend got our Christmas card on January 2.  I mailed our cards the first week in December hoping they would arrive before Christmas.  The other events also deserve honoring.  I remember the excitement of John Glenn's earth orbit.

@0106  Welcome home, Tina.

@grapau27  I hope the good memories of Roy out weigh the sadness of his birthday for both Pauline and you.  Great picture of you with Roy and Sarah.

@ger_77  Gerry, that is so sad about the fire and the deaths of the grandparents and children.  Our hearts go out to the surviving family members.

@Sir PMP  Thanks for the before and after pictures of Lahaina.   

@quilty964  Wonderful pictures of the displays in the elevator lobbies.

@marshhawk and @catmando  Annie and Chuck, thinking about you both today.  I hope the surgery is successful and the recovering quick and easy.

366372500_1043136636869236_5830770002057719597_n.jpg.08a71852661d8b55c2d3c6a17b5e870c.jpg

366661951_24442767278655678_5128289824991771014_n.thumb.jpg.edb6723f10d5723f29db0620642c73e4.jpg

420525147_341280635492959_5216573685164252625_n.jpg.9ef9ef19d9c5e6c67db683b37be1ac71.jpg

420638285_677748184574479_6243323404916239802_n.jpg.a393feefefd8391d3f4ec5b38cd28b97.jpg

421569703_122165531198008198_5429942630584918725_n.thumb.jpg.74d62a25ef9c4fe6addc873a5e30e5fd.jpg

423131876_2090825717943246_3180257027036940218_n.thumb.jpg.b7e31363b2001af6dcfd43105416cb50.jpg

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 11

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Gorgeous photo of crape myrtles.  We have a pale lavender flower on our tree.  I didn't pick it, the landscaping company planted it without our input.  I really like the darker pinks and reds a lot.

Between the front and backyard, we have all 4 of those colors. Right now, they all look like sad, dead twigs; including the big white one in the front.

• Like 19

Good morning, everyone!

It is still morning here for a short while.  I had an early morning PT appointment today, so ran out of the house quickly.  Pedicure is this afternoon.  And, sandwiched inbetween is a fight with the insurance company over an incorrect payment.  They are charging me a co-pay when there isn't one.

It is always something, right?

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22

With the exception of one cruise, we have rented cars and toured the island, even going around the northern tip a couple of times and once to Hana.  Of course, we also visited Iao Valley twice and Haleakala and the observatory.  The cruise when we did not rent a car in 2007 was roundtrip to Tahiti from LA, so we called at Lahaina twice.  The first time we did the Atlantis submarine, which was okay, but not like in the Caribbean.  On the return visit, we took the Sugar Cane Train, which is no longer running.  

We've been to Hawaii on several BHBs and on a couple of Princess ships.  Only once, in 2014, on Veendam was it too rough to tender into Lahaina.  We sat in the Crow's Nest and watched the waves and the one tender that went into port because a passenger had to be medically evacuated.  That was the cruise that we had to head back to San Diego the first sea day to get into range for the Coast Guard helicopter for a medical evacuation, and we were met in every port by an ambulance.  When it was obvious that the seas would not calm down, Captain Peter Bos (one of our favorites) opted to leave early and give us extra time in Ensenada.

All these pictures are from our various calls into Lahaina.

The charter/tour boat harbor

IMG_1211.thumb.JPG.89410728444c9238673d13f0b6fdb31f.JPG

P1040036.thumb.JPG.582af0c6133e144af0513a568e4011ca.JPG

And a view of the harbor from the second story of the Old Courthouse.  This was from Ruby Princess in 2016, and the line for the tender.  That is what you get when on a 3600 passenger ship.  We headed to the Pioneer Hotel outside café for a coke and fries until the line shortened.  And it got longer before it got shorter.  😄

DSC04532.thumb.JPG.110e8bddaba756dfda4850a32493beac.JPG

The old courtroom with it's displays in the Old Courthouse

DSC04530.thumb.JPG.1f54ed4cce89fc85059308b8899a6331.JPG

And I couldn't resist a picture of the banyan tree.  It made a nice shady place for the craft market.

IMG_1233.thumb.JPG.7165831a10356d0374d9f4bde74d9853.JPG

The Sugar Cane Train that took us up the coast.

IMG_1756.thumb.JPG.a77f863491e14e0fa061e776a8da0e05.JPG

IMG_1754.thumb.JPG.8ba8f2e5f6e369feef380c3605ccdb2f.JPG

IMG_1768.thumb.JPG.d787952058bfdc484289adcceef406e8.JPG

Scenes from our visits to Haleakala.  The state bird the Nene.

DSC03083.thumb.JPG.edfbce7626761bf1d2cfc993e6e3128d.JPG

Haleakala Observatory.  The second picture is a new telescope under construction, and I think it is the solar telescope.

DSC04513.thumb.JPG.071bd997f69acc93a3371d4f651cee39.JPG

DSC04514.thumb.JPG.6ecaa1b078971b02e8b436a8649f1dd7.JPG

In the distance you can see Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa above the clouds on the Big Island.

DSC04515.thumb.JPG.db0d0fd189414eab22bccfad78c90512.JPG

A view of the crater

DSC04526.thumb.JPG.675f059143429290ee7d13038f5895dc.JPG

Looking up the coast from the tender dock..

DSC08572.thumb.JPG.36364452db61ed67674d0b2f2f421dcb.JPG

Maui as we sailed for the next port.

IMG_1771.thumb.JPG.aed3993cb74f428f5f037a567d5dfcbe.JPG

After seeing the devastation from the fire two weeks ago, it is bittersweet looking at these pictures.  It is very sad to see all the history and places that were lost in the fire.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5