Real Vanilla

themob

1 hour ago, themob said:

What shops at  Cozumel cruise port sells good vanilla and you can use Princess medallion to purchase?

Most of the shops in the cruise port sell good vanilla. We noticed the shops seems to sell the identical bottles of vanilla, all at the same price. I don’t know if you can use your medallion to purchase.  

Looks like you may be driving home, but for those who are flying, be careful of the size of vanilla bottle. TSA confiscated one from us once. I hope they had a nice vanilla latte for their coffee break. 😉

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

Looks like you may be driving home, but for those who are flying, be careful of the size of vanilla bottle. TSA confiscated one from us once. I hope they had a nice vanilla latte for their coffee break. 😉

If it's a liquid larger than 3.4 ounces, it should be confiscated.  No surprise there. 

9 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

8 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

If it's a liquid larger than 3.4 ounces, it should be confiscated.  No surprise there. 

This is not my first time flying ,not sure if you are serious but then again you get a lot of lame responses on here

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

Be prepared, bubble wrap, zip lock freezer bags and then wrap in t shirts. Ship home in checked baggage. Simple.

1 hour ago, ggprincess2004 said:

Be prepared, bubble wrap, zip lock freezer bags and then wrap in t shirts. Ship home in checked baggage. Simple.

We travel with carry-on only.

Okay... Serious question here, not being snarky...

Why do so many people buy Vanilla when they get to Mexico or Colombia and such. What in the heck to you use it for? Sure, Vanilla is good for baking but who bakes all the time? Seriously, what do you do with the Vanilla you buy?

14 hours ago, themob said:

What shops at  Cozumel cruise port sells good vanilla and you can use Princess medallion to purchase?

In case you're interested, you can make your own vanilla. It's very easy and it's just 2 ingredients (Google it).

To the poster from Wisconsin who only uses carryon luggage, probably buying a 500ml bottle of vanilla won't work for you.

Making you own?  Not really close in my opinion but works if you only use vanilla occasionally.  We use about 1 bottle a year.

Why do people buy in Mexico etc, because it is inexpensive and almost always of excellent quality.

• Like 1

You can spend a lot on vanilla, but America’s Test Kitchen sampled real vs imitation vanilla, and tasters couldn’t tell the difference in baked goods. I buy vanilla in Mexico whenever we cruise down there, but I get it at the Walmart in Puerto Vallarta.  It’s good stuff. 

Be careful purchasing vanilla in Mexico.   Pure Mexican vanilla is wonderful but there are some sources made with Tonka beans not vanilla beans.  Tonka beans contain Coumarin which can be toxic to kidney and liver.  It is also the chemical  that Coumadin (a blood thinner) is derived from.  So just read labels carefully.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pivibird said:

Be careful purchasing vanilla in Mexico.   Pure Mexican vanilla is wonderful but there are some sources made with Tonka beans not vanilla beans.  Tonka beans contain Coumarin which can be toxic to kidney and liver.  It is also the chemical  that Coumadin (a blood thinner) is derived from.  So just read labels carefully.  

We always make sure that we get the vanilla without that, it is marked on bottle THANKS

7 hours ago, pivibird said:

I am not sure if I trust the labels in Mexico. I stopped buying Vanilla there many years ago after watching a report on tv about Mexican vanilla.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

Why do so many people buy Vanilla when they get to Mexico or Colombia and such. What in the heck to you use it for? Sure, Vanilla is good for baking but who bakes all the time? Seriously, what do you do with the Vanilla you buy?

Serious answer, as I do take your question seriously. The Mexican vanilla tends to have more floral and richer scent than real vanilla extract we can get in grocery stores in the states. I bake, and go through a large bottle, at least, at the holidays. We also use it year round. It flavors a variety of things beyond baked goods, in particular other dessert items including puddings, and coffees, sometimes a dash in some mixed drinks, lots of possibilities. We give it as gifts too, my baking friends and family appreciate it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Again...   one does not have to travel to get Vanilla.   And, as mentioned, I would not know if I trusted these products sold at tourist locations.

HINT:   It is EASY....  find out where you can locally, or online, Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract.    

Also,  I use this Vanilla for a LOT more than baking....  Frosting, Hot Cocoa, etc...

I am not using cheap or imitation Vanilla for any purpose.

Anything made with cream, sugar, and this vanilla is absolutely addicting!

image.png

Edited by Wishing on a star

Posted (edited)

Mexican vanilla has a much better flavor than the Nielsen Massey, Costco or JR Watkins. 

We don't buy it from small vendors or markets. We buy it from the Chedraui grocery store.

We use it in coffee drinks, primarily. 

Also, many, many restaurants and commercial bakeries use Mexican vanilla in their products.

Edited by startedwithamouse

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

I do quite a bit of baking.  Not sure what else it could be used for.  I use about one bottle a year and do use the vanilla from Mexico.