Carnival trying to crack down on scooters

Posted (edited)

Did anyone see the news about CCL testing their new rule that no mobility scooters can be left outside cabins?  Apparently if you show up with one and you don't have a large enough cabin to house it, you will either have to rent one of theirs (via Scootaround) or be denied boarding. Interesting, and though I don't use Carnival, I'm all for it. (And I say this as the wife of someone with mobility issues.)

I can't find it again but a new article dated today stated that they are fully enforcing it on one ship now.  Here are a couple of other links. 

Edit: found it!

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/carnival-cruise-line-makes-a-controversial-onboard-rule-change

Under the Mobility Scooter section:

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/wheelchair-users

Edited by mamafun
add a sentence
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Crack down on scooters or crack down on giant obstructions in the hallway?

Either way, this will not go over well.

Haha fair, my wording was bad. 

I don't see how they can enforce it to any meaningful degree, but who knows? Could be interesting. 

It has always been a rule that mobility scooters cannot be left in the hallways. This is universal on all cruise lines (I believe it is a SOLAS regulation). Carnival is just saying it will be enforced at check in so that no issues arise onboard.

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

It has always been a rule that mobility scooters cannot be left in the hallways. This is universal on all cruise lines (I believe it is a SOLAS regulation). Carnival is just saying it will be enforced at check in so that no issues arise onboard.

^^^!   Nothing new.  Should have been doing it all along.  Some cruise lines (P&O-UK) require a scooter user to book an HC cabin.  If you show up without one and a scooter, denied boarding.  EM

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mamafun said:

no mobility scooters can be left outside cabins?

I also do not think this is a new rule, only Carnival  finally enforcing an old rule.

Blocking hallways with anything is a hazard, especially in the event  a speedy evacuation  would be required in the event of an emergency, such as fire.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

IBlocking hallways with anything is a hazard, especially in the event  a speedy evacuation  would be required in the event of an emergency, such as fire.

Or could also...... be blocking access to a hallway for those with scooters!

• Like 5

I do not get this "is trying to crack down."  The rules of SOLAS mandate that the corridors be kept clear, for emergency purposes.  "Trying" is not the answer.  The cruise line simply needs to enforce its rules that scooters (and wheelchars) not be left in the corridors.  I am surprised that Carnival has not been doing this in the past (it is the norm on nearly all the other lines we have cruised).  There can be no compromising when it comes to safety!

Hank

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I do not get this "is trying to crack down."  The rules of SOLAS mandate that the corridors be kept clear, for emergency purposes.  "Trying" is not the answer.  The cruise line simply needs to enforce its rules that scooters (and wheelchars) not be left in the corridors.  I am surprised that Carnival has not been doing this in the past (it is the norm on nearly all the other lines we have cruised).  There can be no compromising when it comes to safety!

Hank

Agreed.  There should be no debate on whether or not this is ok.  

scooter.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes. I'm all for this. Its for sure a safety issue and shouldn't be blocking the hallways, the photo above is a PERFECT example of this. My dad walks with a folding duel wheel walker, there is ZERO chance of him making it down that hall

• Like 2

According to what I read recently they are going to actually measure the size of the scooter before people are allowed to board.  If it is too big they will not be allowed to board.  About time.  Hope that they have the guts to continue the policy and ignore the outcries of the scooter lobby.

DON

• Like 3

On 3/7/2024 at 4:33 PM, Essiesmom said:

Scooters, wheelchairs…and strollers.  EM

Don't most strollers - I assume you mean for small kids - fold up and could easily be in a cabin? Just asking.

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

According to what I read recently they are going to actually measure the size of the scooter before people are allowed to board.  If it is too big they will not be allowed to board.  About time.  Hope that they have the guts to continue the policy and ignore the outcries of the scooter lobby.

DON

I hope in big bold letters or something that all passengers are notified and can't say they weren't notified.

Posted (edited)

Scooters in hallways block the passage of other passengers who also need mobility devices.  The bariatric models are like mini-golf carts.  If I see a scooter in the hall I give the Purser's desk a ring. 

Carnival's Cunard Line has done this for some years now: require that scooter-using passengers book an HC cabin.  There was a lot of board bickering on the topic:
"This was never a problem on QE2!"

"Mine can fold!"

"I cannot get to the bathroom if the scooter is in the cabin!"

- and, my personal favorite -

"What about the housekeeping carts?  They are in the hall!" 

My booking confirmations for non-premium cabins all had the disclaimer, "Mobility scooters not permitted."

Edited by BlueRiband

1 hour ago, clo said:

Don't most strollers - I assume you mean for small kids - fold up and could easily be in a cabin? Just asking.

and wheelchairs too.

so the problem is only with mobility scooters which do not.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, clo said:

They could but believe me I have seen some big a$$ strollers on ships.  Worse I encountered was a couple with twins who brought their side by side stroller to dining room every night and essentially blocked us in.  Even asking politely for it to be moved so we could move our chairs or go to the restroom was met with noncompliance.   I wondered how they ever got down narrow halls.

4 minutes ago, pedirn said:

They could but believe me I have seen some big a$$ strollers on ships.  Worse I encountered was a couple with twins who brought their side by side stroller to dining room every night and essentially blocked us in.  Even asking politely for it to be moved so we could move our chairs or go to the restroom was met with noncompliance.   I wondered how they ever got down narrow halls.

I wish we could hurl the occasional G-bomb around here. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2024 at 8:22 PM, clo said:

Generally, yes - but on my (only) carnival cruise there was an obviously foldable scooter which was continually left in the corridor next to the cabin next to mine.  It’s not so much the equipment, it’s the entitled attitude of the passenger which makes scooters, walkers, strollers, etc. such annoyances.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

it’s the entitled attitude of the passenger which makes scooters, walkers, strollers, etc. such annoyances.

If they're left in hallways.

On one of our cruises, the cabin crew could not get their cart past a scooter that was always parked in the hallway AND plugged in to a wall socket.  A couple days into the cruise we never saw the scooter again, so I assume they were instructed that they had to keep it in the cabin.

I am all for inclusion and everyone should have the same opportunity to travel, but not at the expense of the health and safety of everyone else on the ship.  Ship hallways are not built as scooter parking lots, and although I see both sides, I support the cruise line mandating that the scooter must fit in the cabin.

Some cruise lines don't allow electric scooters at all.

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I think post 18 adequately demonstrates that such conveyances can be annoyances in other areas as well. 

Sure.

7 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I am all for inclusion and everyone should have the same opportunity to travel, but not at the expense of the health and safety of everyone else on the ship.  Ship hallways are not built as scooter parking lots, and although I see both sides, I support the cruise line mandating that the scooter must fit in the cabin.

Well said.