Tips included or not without a drink package?

Been a few years since I sailed without a drink package so I can't recall (or there may have been changes). When I order a drink at the bar and they hand me the slip to sign, is there a tip automatically included on that slip? I know there's an option to add a tip, but checking to see if that would be on top of a percentage that is already added.

If you buy the FAS drink package, you pre-paid gratuities...that's what makes it not 'free'.

Thereafter, if you want to tip cash, b/c that's the person you are, then go ahead.

As for signing a piece of paper, that's long gone....thankfully.

27 minutes ago, MyTMo777 said:

Been a few years since I sailed without a drink package so I can't recall (or there may have been changes). When I order a drink at the bar and they hand me the slip to sign, is there a tip automatically included on that slip? I know there's an option to add a tip, but checking to see if that would be on top of a percentage that is already added.

Yes.  Tips are automatically paid for you if you get FAS.  It amounts to about $300 for a cabin with 2 people on a 7 day cruise.  If you each have 10 drinks a day that is 140 drinks for 2 people on a 7 day cruise.  At approx $300 which you have to pay to get the free drinks that amounts to over $2 tip per drink paid in advance.

Paying extra is not expected or required.  I can only recall a couple of occasions I have tipped extra on the past couple of cruises.  One was when one of the bartenders on the Prima balanced a wine glass on his head and poured my wife a glass of chardonnay.  

If it makes you feel better to tip more tip more.  If you are like me and think $2 per tip per drink paid in advance is enough do not tip more unless the bartender does something above and beyond expectations.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, JGmf said:

If you buy the FAS drink package, you pre-paid gratuities...that's what makes it not 'free'.

Thereafter, if you want to tip cash, b/c that's the person you are, then go ahead.

As for signing a piece of paper, that's long gone....thankfully.

You definitely get a slip to sign if you don't have the drink package.

1 hour ago, scooter6139 said:

Yes, there is an auto 18% gratuity added if you do not have a drinks package.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

18% will be added to the cost of each drink without the FAS.

It's 20%, and has been for years.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

Yes.  Tips are automatically paid for you if you get FAS.  It amounts to about $300 for a cabin with 2 people on a 7 day cruise.  If you each have 10 drinks a day that is 140 drinks for 2 people on a 7 day cruise.  At approx $300 which you have to pay to get the free drinks that amounts to over $2 tip per drink paid in advance.

Paying extra is not expected or required.  I can only recall a couple of occasions I have tipped extra on the past couple of cruises.  One was when one of the bartenders on the Prima balanced a wine glass on his head and poured my wife a glass of chardonnay.  

If it makes you feel better to tip more tip more.  If you are like me and think $2 per tip per drink paid in advance is enough do not tip more unless the bartender does something above and beyond expectations.  

Messed up logic. If you have 2 drinks a day you cover the cost of the package. 

21 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Messed up logic. If you have 2 drinks a day you cover the cost of the package. 

I understand that the drink package is worth it.  My logic is pointing out that tips on drinks have already been ponied up in advance.

The drinks are free as part of the FAS.  If you decline the drink package they will not give you a discount on your cruise.  You just don't have to pay what amounts to about $300 in tips for a cabin for 2 on a 7 day cruise.

38 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

The drinks are free as part of the FAS.  If you decline the drink package they will not give you a discount on your cruise.  You just don't have to pay what amounts to about $300 in tips for a cabin for 2 on a 7 day cruise.

Not getting a discount for declining the drink package does not prove the drinks are free.  You're paying for them as part of the cruise fare which is a far step from being free.  They're 'included', which is not the same as being 'free'.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MyTMo777 said:

Not that I am aware of.  I have never seen an automatic gratuity on a drink tab.  Best thing to do is simply read the slip before you sign it.  If there is a gratuity it wll be listed seprately from the cost of the drink.  If there is an automatic gratuity listed you can adjust it as you see fit.

4 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Not that I am aware of.  I have never seen an automatic gratuity on a drink tab.  Best thing to do is simply read the slip before you sign it.  If there is a gratuity it wll be listed seprately from the cost of the drink.  If there is an automatic gratuity listed you can adjust it as you see fit.

20% added It cannot be adjusted. 

3 hours ago, JGmf said:

the package is absolutely free.  If you would rather pay for the package simply turn down the FAS and pay the several hudred dollars that you don't have to pay for the free drink package.  Paying the gratuities is a separate matter.  The barkeep has to prepare and serve yoru drink no matter if you pay for it or get it free and (IMHO) shoudl get the same gratuity eiterh way.

By your logic, if I won a raffle for a free car, it is not free since I still need to pay my share of taxes that fund the highways. 🙂

@MoCruiseFan I'm on the 'get-the-FAS-drink-package' bandwagon and always get it.

I was trying to highlight that some people get their panties in a bunch b/c there's a cost related to the FAS thinking that it was purely zero out of pocket.  As we all know, there is an upcharge related to the gratuities portion.

5 minutes ago, zqvol said:

20% added It cannot be adjusted. 

So I can't toss the bar keep an extra $1 if I want to?  Damn....

After a little research it looks liek the law changed in 2014 and automatic gratuities are now technically considered a servcuie charge and must be paid,  Oh well, I'm glad I only drink soft drinks now! 🙂

Y'all have a great time on your next crusie...

4 minutes ago, JGmf said:

@MoCruiseFan I'm on the 'get-the-FAS-drink-package' bandwagon and always get it.

I was trying to highlight that some people get their panties in a bunch b/c there's a cost related to the FAS thinking that it was purely zero out of pocket.  As we all know, there is an upcharge related to the gratuities portion.

Understood.

59 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Not getting a discount for declining the drink package does not prove the drinks are free.  You're paying for them as part of the cruise fare which is a far step from being free.  They're 'included', which is not the same as being 'free'.

As far as I am concerned they're free.  As far as NCL is concerned they're free.  If not why do they call it FREE AT SEA?  

It's baked into the price.  If you decline the adult bev pkg you get nothing back.  Other than not having to fork over about $300 worth of tips. I stand by what I posted earlier.

No use slitting hairs over it.  Another tipping thread, another round of bickering and arguing.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

As far as I am concerned they're free.  As far as NCL is concerned they're free.  If not why do they call it FREE AT SEA?  

It's baked into the price.  If you decline the adult bev pkg you get nothing back.  Other than not having to fork over about $300 worth of tips. I stand by what I posted earlier.

No use slitting hairs over it.  Another tipping thread, another round of bickering and arguing.

Why does NCL calll it "Free At Sea"? Any marketing professional will tell you the quickest way to make a sale is to convince the customer they're getting somenthing for free.  Only a sucker believes FAS is really free.  Since it's 'baked into the price', it's not free.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

It’s an automatic, mandatory 20%. Same on any food without a dining package or an upcharge at a restaurant. Automatic 20%. 

16 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Why does NCL calll it "Free At Sea"? Any marketing professional will tell you the quickest way to make a sale is to convince the customer they're getting somenthing for free.  Only a sucker believes FAS is really free.  Since it's 'baked into the price', it's not free.

If you want to sail with NCL it is free.  Their rules. Try going to customer service and see if they will give you some of your money back or some onboard credit for opting out of the FAS adult bev pkg.  They will probably try to be nice at first but in the end you are not getting anything back.

See it any way you want to see it.  Gotta love these tipping threads.  What this is the 3rd or 4th new tipping thread in the last couple of days?

13 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

If you want to sail with NCL it is free.  Their rules. Try going to customer service and see if they will give you some of your money back or some onboard credit for opting out of the FAS adult bev pkg.  They will probably try to be nice at first but in the end you are not getting anything back.

See it any way you want to see it.  Gotta love these tipping threads.  What this is the 3rd or 4th new tipping thread in the last couple of days?

Non-refundable is not the same as free.