Jamaica safety

12 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Royal cancelling stops does not mean Labadee is unsafe. Personal safety during a port stop was WAAAYYYYYY down the list in this decision making process. 

nope, first they canceled excursions as it wasn't safe. then they cancelled the port as it wasn't safe. but you do you....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Pochi Hanaki said:

I am sure that Moscow venue was safe for years too. Everything is safe until it is not. When you have an island where law has broken down and RCL has canceled porting there then you need to open your eyes.

RC canceled labadee because people just see Haiti in the news and panic for no good reason 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

RC canceled labadee because people just see Haiti in the news and panic for no good reason 

no good reason except of course the starving people and a breakdown in society. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

This thread is about Jamaica.  Let’s get back on topic. 

Almost, it is also about the imminent take over of Jamaica by the Haitian Navy using the personal watercraft after the battle of the beach cabanas.  Got to keep this straight, although it is very confusing.  🤣  I just keep thinking if we could only have whirled peas.  As it is I am thinking I just need to stay in the Airstream today, as it has been raining and blowing 40MPH outside most of the morning.  Hopefully, I won’t drown when the Airstream gets washed off the beach at the OBX and I end up in the ocean.  😃

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, d9704011 said:

It's about 500 km from Port au Prince to the island of Jamaica.  I'd say the chances of an overflow of the problems in Haiti to Jamaica by boat or air are negligible.

While you are correct, I was thinking of the "closest points" between the 2 nations.  Definitely much closer.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, jackadapt said:

While you are correct, I was thinking of the "closest points" between the 2 nations.  Definitely much closer.

Sure... probably not the best location(s) to organize the air and/or maritime invasions though.

Posted (edited)

We just got off Oasis last week and was the first ship to be canceled for Labadee. There is way more to it then “passenger safety” for the cancellation. It’s not even the main reason.

We also booked a driver in Falmouth that took us into Ocho Rios so we could explore on our own for the day. Never felt unsafe. Did the same in Nassau…

For the people that are so scared of these ports why even cruise/spend money in the first place??

Edited by CruisingHogFan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jillt92 said:

How was this excursion?  Thinking of doing it for an upcoming cruise.  Do you remember what the price was and was it worth it?

We (2 people)enjoyed the excursion. The price may be a little high but remember you get unlimited drinks, food and safe transportation there and back.

The price we paid is what’s currently showing on the third party website.

The Lazy River was fun and clean. You can also use the pools or go on to the beach.There were plenty of Towels provided by the resort so you do not have to bring one from the ship. The Jerk chicken was fantastic.

The one thing we did not like is everything does not open until 10am. The excursion leaves the port at 8:30am and is a 20 minute ride.

After checking in and finding your spot, you still have 30 minutes or so before you can get food or drinks. They do not start the current in the lazy river until 10am.

All In all, had a great time and would go back. Not sure I would go again at a higher price point though.

22 hours ago, jackadapt said:

With the current unrest in Haiti, how does everyone feel about Jamaica?  While I realize they are separate countries and islands, they are separated by just a short boat/plane ride away.  I have a cruise on Odyssey of the Seas in 2 weeks that I'm getting uncomfortable with.  Thanks for any feedback.

As a Jamaican, I find this funny 😂. One country has absolutely nothing to do with the other. That’s like asking if you feel comfortable with going to Texas because they’re a car ride away from the Mexican cartel. Go on your vacation, get off and explore the port and get back on. Don’t venture off on your own and you’ll be good. 😊 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Regarding Falmouth (since you asked about it), we've done the ziplining and waterfall climb (booked through RCI), and Hilton Rose Hall and Hyatt Zilara day-passes (booked through Resort for a Day). Regarding feeling safe, I really do think that's up to everyone's particular experience which certainly does vary.

The last two times I was there, at some point in our drive, we would come to a town where there were military with machine guns at a certain checkpoint. One side of my brain can say, "Thank goodness there are people to keep everyone safe" and then there's the other side, "Wait, are we NOT safe? Why are these guys here?" so it's all how you look at it. For me, that raised more questions of safety than it did provide comfort but I tend to deal with anxiety.

However, once at the hotel property, I felt perfectly safe. Ironically, the hotels I visited are also protected by guards at the gate -- so I have had to readjust how I view any trips to Jamaica knowing that is just the way it is there (or was, it has been some years now).

Edited by GetToLivin

8 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

We just got off Oasis last week and was the first ship to be canceled for Labadee. There is way more to it then “passenger safety” for the cancellation. It’s not even the main reason.

We also booked a driver in Falmouth that took us into Ocho Rios so we could explore on our own for the day. Never felt unsafe. Did the same in Nassau…

For the people that are so scared of these ports why even cruise/spend money in the first place??

Haiti didn't fall apart when we booked our trip.  The rational part of my brain is telling me everything will be fine.  The paranoid part of my brain is saying "what if"....  Not trying to start a whole thing with this.  Just wanted to get some feedback from people who have been recently was all.

6 hours ago, Nickles76 said:

As a Jamaican, I find this funny 😂. One country has absolutely nothing to do with the other. That’s like asking if you feel comfortable with going to Texas because they’re a car ride away from the Mexican cartel. Go on your vacation, get off and explore the port and get back on. Don’t venture off on your own and you’ll be good. 😊 

This is actually a good analogy.  Thanks for the constructive feedback.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 9:58 PM, jackadapt said:

With the current unrest in Haiti, how does everyone feel about Jamaica?  While I realize they are separate countries and islands, they are separated by just a short boat/plane ride away.  I have a cruise on Odyssey of the Seas in 2 weeks that I'm getting uncomfortable with.  Thanks for any feedback.

The distinction here isn’t about how you feel with regards to how any country might or might not be safe, it’s about how the vacation operator (in this case RCI) feels about it! 

Governments issue travel advisories for other countries around the world. That then enables individuals and corporations to make their own risk assessments about travel to those regions.

One significant issue arises when that advice has secondary consequences that may not be immediately obvious to the travelling public. An example of this is travel insurance.

I was sent a reminder just yesterday from my own travel insurer (through a major international bank) that travelling  to a country that is currently against my own countries travel advice, would in effect, void the coverage of my policy. Under the section of what is not covered it states:

“Any claim if you travel against the advice of the FCDO, or do not comply with advice or measures which have been put in place by a government in the UK or overseas.”

Those first 2 words are very important. RCI not only expects me to assuage my liability by taking out personal travel insurance, but also their potential exposure as well. If I trip up getting off the ship in Fort Lauderdale and need (notoriously cheap) medical attention at a local emergency room, then I can reasonably expect the insurer to pay if my ship stopped at Falmouth. Not so, if it ported at Labadee? 

A lot of countries have similar criteria which allows insurers to exclude the additional risk. It doesn’t stop the individual (or even the tour operator) from travelling there, However, the operator is exposed to a raft of potential claims if they were complicit in negating their lay customers coverage. 

Edited by Jetdriver787

10 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

People book cruises year in advanced. Way before this latest outbreak of violence and breakdown in society in Haiti. In other ports it is an uptick in murders that caused the state department to issues warnings. 

4 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

The last two times I was there, at some point in our drive, we would come to a town where there were military with machine guns at a certain checkpoint. One side of my brain can say, "Thank goodness there are people to keep everyone safe" and then there's the other side, "Wait, are we NOT safe? Why are these guys here?" so it's all how you look at it. For me, that raised more questions of safety than it did provide comfort but I tend to deal with anxiety.

Funny, whenever I see military with machine guns whether it be on a resort island or Grand Central Station in NYC, I feel safe.  Unless I hear machine gun fire, then I feel anxiety.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Nickles76 said:

Agreed. Be aware of your surroundings, use common sense & you'll do okay. Advice that pretty much applies to everywhere in the world.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Funny, whenever I see military with machine guns whether it be on a resort island or Grand Central Station in NYC, I feel safe.  

It's a question of who's holding the hardware and what are their intentions. The sight of firearms never bothers me.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jetdriver787 said:

A lot of countries have similar criteria which allows insurers to exclude the additional risk. It doesn’t stop the individual (or even the tour operator) from travelling there, However, the operator is exposed to a raft of potential claims if they were complicit in negating their lay customers coverage. 

Am I reading this right? 

Are you saying Royal would be liable for any claims you may have due to your travel insurance being negated by a stop in a port on the FCDO "do not travel" list?

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Am I reading this right? 

Are you saying Royal would be liable for any claims you may have due to your travel insurance being negated by a stop in a port on the FCDO "do not travel" list?

I believe the operative word is complicit.  There would have to be some action on the part of the company that would negate typical insurance coverage.

9 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I believe the operative word is complicit.  There would have to be some action on the part of the company that would negate typical insurance coverage.

So then, according to the post i originally reference; a travel operator would need to familiarize themselves with the travel policies of every client in order to prevent being complicit in negating policies and becoming liable for any claims that would have originally been handled by that policy????

• Like 1