How do we get our Medallion?

1 hour ago, Euby said:

I'll hit the 100-day mark during my next cruise.  Will they provide it at that point or on my next cruise (like they do the Mariner levels)?

Normally next cruise, but you never know with HAL!

3 hours ago, Euby said:

I'll hit the 100-day mark during my next cruise.  Will they provide it at that point or on my next cruise (like they do the Mariner levels)?

Medallions are received on the cruise that you hit the number of days. Star benefits are received on the next cruise. But HAL is not consistant

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Medallions are received on the cruise that you hit the number of days. Star benefits are received on the next cruise. But HAL is not consistant

For our most recent medallion we did not get it on the current cruise, NOR even the next one.  Had to ask for it and was of course given both conflicting answers.

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

For our most recent medallion we did not get it on the current cruise, NOR even the next one.  Had to ask for it and was of course given both conflicting answers.

We all know that things slip thru HAL's cracks. I can't find it right now, but the description of Medallions on the HAL site indicates that they are given on the cruise on which you attain the level. I have received each of mine on the proper cruise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I got my platinum on the Noordam in July, which I finished with 702 nights. On our next cruise guest services got in touch to ask if I had gotten mine on my previous cruise, and I assured them that I had.

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Euby said:

So long as you are counting true 'heads in beds' days, you should. Which doesn't necessarily mean you will unless you are proactive about it. 

If I were you, I would be asking about how your copper medallion will be delivered to you on that cruise---placed in your cabin, or presented at a ceremony. That will at least open the door to a conversation that you should get your medallion on that cruise. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RuthC said:

So long as you are counting true 'heads in beds' days, you should. Which doesn't necessarily mean you will unless you are proactive about it. 

If I were you, I would be asking about how your copper medallion will be delivered to you on that cruise---placed in your cabin, or presented at a ceremony. That will at least open the door to a conversation that you should get your medallion on that cruise. 

Can you clarify what you mean by "heads in beds days"?  Also, would this be something for the  Guest Services desk on-board or an email to someone prior to the cruise?

1 hour ago, Euby said:

Can you clarify what you mean by "heads in beds days"?  Also, would this be something for the  Guest Services desk on-board or an email to someone prior to the cruise?

It refers to actual days on the ship. It does not include the spending bonuses or suite bonuses that are used for the Star program.

9 hours ago, Euby said:

7 hours ago, Sea42 said:

It refers to actual days on the ship. It does not include the spending bonuses or suite bonuses that are used for the Star program.

Exactly as Sea42 explained. 

I would be speaking to someone at the Front Desk about it, which is what I meant by being 'proactive'. IF you will have the actual 100 days during the cruise, you should be sure you are on the list to get your medallion on that cruise. 

• Like 1

This topic made me go back to my cruise summary to count the physical sailing days I actually have.  I had never paid attention before!  It looks like they gave me my medallion two cruises after I attained the required # of days.

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2024 at 1:31 PM, crystalspin said:

The last day of our last cruise (January 2024) was our 100th day. No mention on cruise or since about the Bronze Medallion. Plan to ask on next cruise, but that keeps being put off!

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

This topic made me go back to my cruise summary to count the physical sailing days I actually have.  I had never paid attention before!  It looks like they gave me my medallion two cruises after I attained the required # of days.

It shouldn't have to be this way but, after hearing so many stories on this board, I decided to be proactive. 

On the cruise on which I KNEW that I would qualify for silver, I contacted the Mariner Society rep (there's one aboard every cruise, you just have to ask at Guest Services) and told her that I expected to receive that medallion.  She said that she'd check the records and get back to me.  She then confirmed that I had qualified and would receive it.  I received mine at the reception on that cruise.

So for those of you who are approaching the milestone, make certain that you've figured it correctly and don't fail to contact the Mariner Society rep on your qualifying cruise.

Just an aside, it was important for me because so many friends on that cruise to congratulate me at the reception -- including Jacqui @kazu and John and Maria @Copper10-8, to name just a few 😀😀😀.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2024 at 3:47 AM, Haljo1935 said:

I had to ask for for mine. Then wondered why I did cuz it's still in the suitcase where it attracts less dust.

They actually make decent Christmas tree ornaments if you take them off the ribbon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/30/2024 at 9:58 AM, graceinga said:

We set sail on the Rotterdam next Sunday and I just realized I don't know how/where/when we obtain our Medallion.  Thanks for your help. 

I was at the Mariner ceremony today on the Rotterdam and asked the person responsible for Mariner matters for the answer to your question. She told me you would receive it in your cabin. Only persons receiving silver medallions and above receive it at the ceremony. Additional guests like me who are invited to the ceremony are 5 star and President's Club.

On 4/4/2024 at 1:28 PM, Ottawa traveller said:

I was at the Mariner ceremony today on the Rotterdam and asked the person responsible for Mariner matters for the answer to your question. She told me you would receive it in your cabin. Only persons receiving silver medallions and above receive it at the ceremony. Additional guests like me who are invited to the ceremony are 5 star and President's Club.

Thank you so very much!  That was incredibly kind of you to ask. 

Just got off a 6 nighter up and back the Pacific Coast and on the third night, I qualified for the Bronze.  My cabin steward caught me in the hallway the next afternoon and pulled the boxed beauty from his storage closet and presented it to me with a flourish.  Quite the tear jerker event. [smirk]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I'll hit 100 days on day 26 of a 28-day cruise.  Do you think the system will respond fast enough for me to get my Bronze Medalion before we leave the ship?

<sigh>  See my post #37 on this thread.  Again, MAKE CERTAIN that you'll qualify by checking your "My Cruise History" page on the website (subtract your spend points from your total points or just add up your "cruise and tour days" points), then contact the Mariner Society rep on your ship.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I'll hit 100 days on day 26 of a 28-day cruise.  Do you think the system will respond fast enough for me to get my Bronze Medalion before we leave the ship?

My medallion came in a box with a label on it with my Name and Cabin number printed on it. While not proof positive, it would suggest Mariner Society staff monitor the voyage where the day counts are met and supply or trigger production of the labels to the ship for the itinerary when the momentous event will occur. I doubt someone specifically onboard the ship itself is monitoring, but rather it’s done at head office and labels pushed out to each voyage and applied to boxes onboard. Most of the above is just supposition. Congrats in any case!  And make a trip to Guests Services on Day 27 of it does not show. Or do as AV8rix suggests above. Or not. It’s a junky medal. I wore it for 5 minutes after steward gave it to me. “Wadchya win?” asked a man in the elevator. 

Edited by SeaMatesNYC
Expansion of important theoretical discussion

3 hours ago, AV8rix said:

<sigh>  See my post #37 on this thread.  Again, MAKE CERTAIN that you'll qualify by checking your "My Cruise History" page on the website (subtract your spend points from your total points or just add up your "cruise and tour days" points), then contact the Mariner Society rep on your ship.

With over 30 HAL cruises, I got tired of having to manually add or subtract to get my actual sailing days and set up a spreadsheet to do it for me.  See attached for a generic version of my spreadsheet, which you are welcome to download and use for yourselves.  Takes some work when setting up for the first time - just copy and paste from "My Cruise History."  Once set up, just add to it for each new HAL cruise you use.  Enjoy!

Cruise History Calculator.xlsx

• Thanks 2