Bringing medications through airports

In the past, we have always kept our few medications in original containers while traveling to and from cruise ships.  Now we are getting older, and we need more stuff!  I buy large quantities of certain vitamins and supplements in jumbo containers.  If I packed all these bottles, they would take up most of my carryon!  Would it be a problem if I carry a 3-week supply of each pill in a labeled ziplock baggie?  (I will be flying in and out of Amsterdam and Chile this year.). Thanks for your help!

16 minutes ago, ilovhywd said:

In the past, we have always kept our few medications in original containers while traveling to and from cruise ships.  Now we are getting older, and we need more stuff!  I buy large quantities of certain vitamins and supplements in jumbo containers.  If I packed all these bottles, they would take up most of my carryon!  Would it be a problem if I carry a 3-week supply of each pill in a labeled ziplock baggie?  (I will be flying in and out of Amsterdam and Chile this year.). Thanks for your help!

What we do is get very small ziplock type bags, and ask the Pharmacist to print out an extra "stick-on" label for each med.  We give them something like 2 weeks advance notice so there's no rush during what might be a busy time.

Then we stick the label on a little bag, and put the proper pills inside.

Several extra nice things about this, in addition to not needing to take a ton of each med, or a big vial full of lots of air.  (Our pharmacy stopped using the smaller sized amber bottles several years ago, so almost any number of pills leaves a lot of "space". And of course, cylinder shapes don't stack neatly...)

In addition to being able to keep most extra air out, these little bags, when placed flat, just stack really nicely.

Is this "okay" for Rx meds?  We noticed this when one of my meds was dispensed at the local hospital out-patient pharmacy just like this!

So... "Aha!" We said.  😀 

And we started doing it for travel.

We reuse the little bags until they look too tattered, so they are always "ready to go" once we get a set together.

GC

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I don't think TSA cares about prescription meds or OTC meds carried by people, especially older adults.  

It's not TSA we are concerned with.  They've never expressed any interest in the "drug" contents of my carry-on, including the time they searched it with a fine tooth comb until they determined that the suspicious item on the x-ray was my bar of Dove soap.  (Now, that goes in checked luggage, or on the top of my purse for easier access.)

It's the authorities as we enter foreign countries that are of more concern, and some countries are of "more concern" than others...!

GC

• Like 3

We've taken pill boxes into and out of Chile and Amsterdam with no problem. That's how we normally take our medications.  Last year we made a lot of prep to take meds to Australia, which has strict rules.  I mean, we had doctor's letters, original bottles, labels, and more.  Of course, no one even bothered to look at a thing once we arrived.

After being in New Zealand on the same trip, we were asked if we had any honey products.  They laughed when I showed them the hand lotion with makuna honey in it that I had bought.

For what it's worth, I've always travelled with all my vitamins and meds in two containers, one AM and one PM.  Nobody has ever said a thing, leaving or arriving.  

• Like 1

I have morning and an evening 7 day pill boxes.  I populate these with all my RX and OTC pills once a month.  I carry one extra week of meds on every trip in case of any kind of delay coming home.

I get the pharmacy to print out a separate set of stickers that go on the pill bottles and keep them on their backing and just pack these with my documents in my carryon.

My concern is not TSA or Security screening.  IMO they could care less.  My concern is that some countries have restrictions on some medications even if they are prescribed.

@GeezerCouple referred to this.  You never know when you are going to get pulled aside entering a country and searched.  You don't even have to be suspicious.  If you cannot identify the pills you have with you - whether in the original bottle or not - then you could be in trouble.

As long as you can give them a name they can verify the pill from pictures online.

In the UK and most European countries all prescribed medicines and common over-the-counter ones are sold in blister packs, so there's no problem with labelling (and being in strips of 7 or 14 forgetting whether you've taken today's pill/s isn't a problem for those of us who are forgetful 🙄).

I'm aware that many are now available in blister packs in the US, this'd be a good time to try them out.

Countries in the Middle East (and Japan?) are very fussy about medications

JB 🙂

• Like 2

Japan is extremely strict and for some medications, you have to fill out an official form, submit it, and get it approved before entering which is what we are finding out now.  Plus, medication needs to show the name of the prescription, doctor's name, etc.  This is what I am currently working on for our trip to Japan.  

As others have mentioned, take the time to investigate the rules and regulations for each country you are visiting on their own websites (not just take the words from other CC posters). 

When we went to Australia and New Zealand last year we did exactly as @GeezerCouplerecommends.  Since our meds are mailed to us, I just cut off the informational section (patient, doctor, med, dose, pill description) of each informational page that accompanies the delivery and taped it on the small pill baggie. That greatly reduced the weight in my purse even compared to carrying pill box(es).  When the Australian customs official asked my DH about the steroids he had noted on his entry form (you have an extensive entry form to complete entering both Australia and New Zealand) I was ready to pull out the baggie.  I didn't have to because she took one look at an old guy doubled up (the steroids were for his back) after a day's worth of travel and just welcomed us to Australia.  For over the counter meds they are in blister packs (cold medicines) or we use pill boxes with the name (ibuprofen, etc.) on the label. 

Another thing to remember - bring more than you need for the trip.  We always take an extra week's worth at least.  Flights are delayed, trips are disrupted, etc. that can extend your trip.  The worst case of this - and why I've made sure we've done this for over two decades - was immediately post 9/11.  A colleague and his wife were due to fly home on 9/12 after visiting their son stationed on Okinawa.  Air traffic restrictions and then the pent up demand from all those air travelers meant it was more than a week later before they could return to the US.  His wife ran out of meds but in her case, at least, was lucky to be visiting a US military base.  The pharmacy dispensed enough meds to get her home.

I have never had a problem with medications.  But once I was coming back from Seattle, I  had purchased 6 bricks of Tully's French Roast Ground Coffee ( I could not find it anywhere in any of my markets..and it was THE best french roast).  I put them in my carry on.  It went thru the scanner, and TSA of course, pulled me aside.  I had to explain why I was transporting ground coffee back home.  I even showed them the store receipt.  They gave me an odd look, and sent me on  my way.  I thought to myself this is what smugglers go thru all the time...something I realized I could never do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My DH - who spent a decade (2002 - 2012) traveling at least twice a month internationally - and I both have had problems back then. 

He was traveling with 2 colleagues and I was alone and both incidents happened in Frankfurt around 2009 - 2010 when transiting flights from the US to Eastern Europe.  He and his colleagues all used eye drops for dry eyes.  One went through security with no problem, one was told to put the drops in his eyes, and one's drops were confiscated and thrown out.  All within 5 minutes of each other.

In my case my trip had originated in Prague and required a change of planes in Frankfurt.  The security officer had me open my purse and she rummaged around pulling out a 7 day pill box.  With a gleam in her eye, she told me to open it.  The gleam turned to surprise when all she saw was seven sets of earrings.  She seemed so flustered she closed up the purse and sent me on my way without even looking further into it where I had 3 meds in their original containers.

Our son and daughter-in-law were traveling in the US with their 2 year old a couple of years ago.  She had a doll that accompanied her everywhere.  They put it in the carry-on luggage so she didn't lose it in the airport en route to the plane.  When the luggage went through the x ray, everything stopped and a supervisor was called.  He asked our son what was in it and was told just the usual stuff (clothes, meds).  Meanwhile the line is backing up.  Our son was ordered to open it and remove things very gently.  Out comes "sister baby" and a big sigh of relief from the TSA agents. The 2 year old then insisted they give her the doll.  Something in her insides (IIRC it was her eyes) looked very suspicious on the x-ray.  Turns out the TSA supervisor had a 2 year old with a favorite doll so was very understanding but told them to put sister baby in checked luggage on the way back.  They've done that on numerous flights for the past 2 1/2 years without an issue.

• Like 1

I just put them in plastic numbered envelopes and have never been stopped or had anyone look at them.  I do have some diabetes related stuff and I have a letter from my endocrinologist covering that stuff.

DON

On 4/1/2024 at 2:23 PM, John Bull said:

In the UK and most European countries all prescribed medicines and common over-the-counter ones are sold in blister packs, so there's no problem with labelling (and being in strips of 7 or 14 forgetting whether you've taken today's pill/s isn't a problem for those of us who are forgetful 🙄).

I don't know about UK, but at least in Finland there are some prescription (and over-the-counter) medicine that is sold in bottles rather than in blister packs. But at least repacking medicines into those yellow/orange bottles is not something that is done in this part of the world, pretty much all medicines come in packages from the manufacturer, the main exception being nowadays quite rare practice where the pharmacy produces the medicine in their premises.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 10:48 AM, George C said:

I have my pills in a daily planner for morning and evening, not original bottle, never had a issue, don’t want to take ten bottles.

Are you on MyChart? Last time we traveled I printed out the meds page and handed it to TSA agent. That seemed to satisfy.

27 minutes ago, clo said:

Are you on MyChart? Last time we traveled I printed out the meds page and handed it to TSA agent. That seemed to satisfy.

No and we fly around 5 times a year for last 30 years and never were questioned, of course I had way less pills to take 30 years ago 😢.

31 minutes ago, clo said:

Having that printout is a good idea.   But I am surprised a TSA agent actually questioned your pill containers.  

I take the original prescription bottles.  Mrs Ldubs takes her pill caddies.  I've been to 53 countries.  Mrs Ldubs to 55.   Mrs Ldubs has never been questioned.  I've been questioned exactly once (not sure if Lisbon or Barcelona).  Guy asked are these prescription?  I said yes.  He said move on.   

Got pulled aside once in Frankfurt.  Guy opened my backpack.  Didn't ask about pills.  Instead he pulled out my hat and asked if it was mine. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Having that printout is a good idea.   But I am surprised a TSA agent actually questioned your pill containers.  

They didn't. I just handed it to them with the bag of meds.

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your quick responses and great ideas - with a few chuckles thrown in as well!

The “winner” is the poodle “Clo” who suggested I print out and carry the meds page from my physician's online portal (similar to My Chart) that has everything listed.  Now I will just use my 7-day pill caddy and refill it each week from my supplies in the ziplock baggies.

Safe travels everyone!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

Got pulled aside once in Frankfurt.  Guy opened my backpack.  Didn't ask about pills.  Instead he pulled out my hat and asked if it was mine. 

"Whose hat is that and how did it get in my backpack?!?!?"

You people are making me nervous about our layover in Frankfurt next October.

40 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

"Whose hat is that and how did it get in my backpack?!?!?"

You people are making me nervous about our layover in Frankfurt next October.

I really wanted to say "what hat?"  But I figured these guys probably don't have a great sense of humor.  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I really wanted to say "what hat?"  But I figured these guys probably don't have a great sense of humor.  😄

My general rule is don't object, don't question, just answer calmly and carry on.  The minute you start to show anything other than compliance is when you are more exposed and in danger.

• Like 2