Man overboard on Liberty

Currently on Liberty, heading back from Puerto Plata. Woke up last night between 2-3 and thought I heard an “Alpha, Alpha, Alpha”.  Learned this morning that it was an “Oscar, Oscar, Oscar”.  Other passengers said that the lifeboats had been out around the ship all morning. Later the Captain announced that the Coast Guard was taking over the search. At noon the Captain announced that we would be making up time and will probably only be an hour and a half late getting back to Ft. Lauderdale, we should be docking around 7:30 AM. My thoughts go out to all affected by this sad situation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, cruisemiser1 said:

Ummm, that article is from 2015??

And so it is!   Good catch and thank you.

This should be the correct link!  Eerily similar:

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2024/04/04/coast-guard-crews-searching-for-man-who-fell-from-cruise-ship/

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 2

all CCVI am sure RCCL is analyzing CCV around the bars to see where the booze was coming from.  I am saddened by this but unfortunately this is where we are as a country and society today.  I think we need to start taking vare of each other even if they are strangers.

• Like 2

How truly awful for his family. Having experienced the pain of a loved one’s suicide in my immediate family, this always tears my heart for the family left behind. 😢

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FLSteve11 said:

Boarding this tomorrow in FLL.    Sad news for the family,   hopefully they do make up time so boarding isn't a problem.    

We just got off and in a taxi heading home. We docked at Terminal 19 instead of 18. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Does make me wonder if his Brother or Father were providing him with drinks.

Yes, or strangers he was partying with. Reportedly he was only 20. 

It's good that the crew knew exactly when/where he went overboard.   

I hope the CG finds him.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Yes, or strangers he was partying with. Reportedly he was only 20. 

It's good that the crew knew exactly when/where he went overboard.   

I hope the CG finds him.

If they haven't found him by now, they won't

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 6:20 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Does make me wonder if his Brother or Father were providing him with drinks.  I'm sure royal is investigating for liability reasons.

If the article upthread in post #6 is correct, JMO it sounds to me like the brother and father did not supply anything but were looking for him, and when they found him the dad was on his case:

“I had hung out with him and his brother in the hot tub until 3:30,” passenger Bryan Sims tells The Post. ” It was standing room only. He sat right beside me the whole time.”

“He was pretty drunk,” Sims continues.

“As we were walking from the hot tub back to the elevators, his dad and brother were walking towards us. His dad was fussing at him for being drunk, I guess.”

When we got to them, he said to his dad, ‘I’ll fix this right now.’ And he jumped out the window in front of us all.” 

So heartbreaking. And how does your family ever get over witnessing that? <shivers>

• Like 1

This is a really tragic incident. Someone close to the family reported online that the victim had been partying with a bunch of peers that he met on the ship. The family did not contribute to his alcohol use. The father was trying to get him to come back to the cabin when the boy pushed his dad off and jumped. It really is sad and I'm keeping this family in my thoughts

• Like 1