Princess extra cost in Standard tariff

20 hours ago, ldubs said:

Yup, for some it makes sense and for others it doesn't.  I don't understand the endless posts about why or why not the purchase is justified.  It isn't exactly rocket science.  

The trouble is when you are like us and the math is right on the border. We have dine it both ways. I am a constant folio monitor. Not having to remember, or worse ask my wife what she bought, to determine if every little charge is correct, sometimes tips the scale in favor of the package. Going to GS to dispute a $7.00 drink charge is a pain. Hard to put a cash value on the convenience factor. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tonye60 said:

You can sail with zero additional charges, WiFi is optional, buying drinks is optional and daily gratuities is optional too

Gratuities are only optional if you have the gall to go to guest services and remove them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, memoak said:

I agree totally. It is much easier than the old envelope method and no one gets left out. I was going to say only cheap folks or foreigners remove tips. I only hope these people aren’t my next door neighbors when they discuss what they are not going to tip

why?

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, memoak said:

I agree totally. It is much easier than the old envelope method and no one gets left out. I was going to say only cheap folks or foreigners remove tips. I only hope these people aren’t my next door neighbors when they discuss what they are not going to tip

I never thought the envelopes were that big a challenge.  I think back to my first cruises, prior to automated gratuities.  The MDR would be full each night until the last.  Then, suddenly the food at the buffet was much more appealing apparently and the MDR was only half full.  I imagine it was even easier to stiff the cabin attendant. I like that the cheapskates have to request removal at GS.  I hope they at least get a withering look.

4 hours ago, memoak said:

Gratuities are only optional if you have the gall to go to guest services and remove them. 

Gall, it's no trouble people do it all the time, some in our travel club group do it on day 1, even before they have sailed 

• Like 3

Gratuities are not a problem for me.

As a result from this thread, I guess the differences between a basic tariff at Princess and at Celebrity are quite irrelevant.

So, I cannot make that an important factor in deciding whether I shall stick with the Sun. Time and reviews will tell.

• Like 2

While I have always auto tipped as well as give additional to the Room Steward and all waiters, back when we used envelopes in 1999, when we were on the Maiden Voyage of the Carnival Triumph, Our Room Steward and MDR Waiter were useless. However the Bus Boy was amazing and more than made up for the Waiter. Therefore, we cut the Room Stewards tip in half and gave the Bus Boy the recommended tip for the Waiter plus more, and the waiter got the Bus Boy’s tip. That was the ONLY cruise where the service was sub par which I attribute to being the maiden voyage. We did not book as such. However it was supposed to be the 3rd cruise just like the Sun Princess. As much as things change they stay the same LOL. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tonye60 said:

Gall, it's no trouble people do it all the time, some in our travel club group do it on day 1, even before they have sailed 

That is a travel group I would not want to be associated with. I have shamed my own friends who do want to tip on land or sea

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nemanoxer said:

As a result from this thread, I guess the differences between a basic tariff at Princess and at Celebrity are quite irrelevant.

So, I cannot make that an important factor in deciding whether I shall stick with the Sun. Time and reviews will tell.

I cruise frequently on both Celebrity and Princess, I think you made the right decision.  I would even say if you are sailing without a package, you will find Princess less expensive for most if not all individual items.  (And the cruise itself).  You can even save money as you do not need to use the Ocean Now on Princess.  I have it in my package and I do not use it.

Give it a try.  Although both companies are very focused on packages, it is not important to you.  Princess’s would be significant less expensive and prove more value.  

Good luck.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, memoak said:

That is a travel group I would not want to be associated with. I have shamed my own friends who do want to tip on land or sea

deleted ...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

The trouble is when you are like us and the math is right on the border. We have dine it both ways. I am a constant folio monitor. Not having to remember, or worse ask my wife what she bought, to determine if every little charge is correct, sometimes tips the scale in favor of the package. Going to GS to dispute a $7.00 drink charge is a pain. Hard to put a cash value on the convenience factor. 

Good point.  I've read quite a few posts from folks who want the package, or all inclusive fare, just for the convenience.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BamaVol said:

I like that the cheapskates have to request removal at GS.  I hope they at least get a withering look.

We generally prefer to tip people individually so remove the auto-gratuity.  Guest services has never asked about it nor shot us a dirty look.  Careful not to paint all people who do things differently from you with the same 'cheapskate' brush.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Nemanoxer said:

Have you watched any YouTube videos about the Sun Princess? I’ve watched quite a few and I’m really looking forward to our cruise later this year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, memoak said:

I don’t agree with it but I will never shame an adult for their decision. It’s up to them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Incognito1 said:

We generally prefer to tip people individually so remove the auto-gratuity.  Guest services has never asked about it nor shot us a dirty look.  Careful not to paint all people who do things differently from you with the same 'cheapskate' brush.

So how do you tip those people on board who do things for you that you never see ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

The trouble is when you are like us and the math is right on the border. 

Yeah, Mr Mac and I don't drink a lot but we do drink some on vacation and he likes his sodas and I like my bottled water when off-ship. Plus, unlike a lot of people, I do plan to use the 2 fitness classes. 🙂 

So I made a spreadsheet and the packages make sense if we drink a certain amount but don't if we don't. So how do we predict? My best guess is that the packages will save us a couple of bucks especially since we have a lot of sea days. But we'll see...

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Have you watched any YouTube videos about the Sun Princess? I’ve watched quite a few and I’m really looking forward to our cruise later this year.

I agree! I thought the Sun Princess would be too big for me but there are a lot of things about it that have me thinking maybe we should schedule a cruise on her. 😄 

• Like 3

Just now, BamaVol said:

Easier to accomplish outside of the North American tipping culture. I’d guess the twisted knickers largely belong to us Americans.

Many Aussies remove tips without giving it a second thought. It's not the customer who is cheap, it's the company who should pay a decent wage straight up. Hasn't it been proven in previous threads that tips, other than the ones you give directly in cash to staff, just go in to general revenue as the staff now are on a contracted wage?

I have broken my golden rule to not comment on a tipping thread as there are no winners in a discussion like this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Many Aussies remove tips without giving it a second thought. It's not the customer who is cheap, it's the company who should pay a decent wage straight up. Hasn't it been proven in previous threads that tips, other than the ones you give directly in cash to staff, just go in to general revenue as the staff now are on a contracted wage?

I have broken my golden rule to not comment on a tipping thread as there are no winners in a discussion like this.

Different cultures see things differently.  I think here we are used to seeing separate charges for things that others assume would be included.  When my car goes to the shop for repairs, there’s a separate charge for “shop supplies” or “tire disposal”.  Surely that could be covered if they raised the hourly rates.  My electric bill has multiple additional charges. Most of my lifetime, there has been a separate energy charge.  Really?  Should I be surprised that the utility has to purchase fuel to make electricity?  Don’t get me started on the airlines that charge for carry on bags.  Next you know they’ll be charging for what you have in your pockets.

The wages are the wages. Base compensation is incremented by what Princess charges as “crew appreciation”.  They just bill us separately for it.  It keeps the base rate lower and entices more people to book a cruise.  No different than “port fees”. 

I worry that if enough people reverse auto gratuities, the base rates will rise or gratuities will become mandatory.  The lines have to make a profit, or need to start making a profit again or there will be no more cruises.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Different cultures see things differently.  I think here we are used to seeing separate charges for things that others assume would be included.  When my car goes to the shop for repairs, there’s a separate charge for “shop supplies” or “tire disposal”.  Surely that could be covered if they raised the hourly rates.  My electric bill has multiple additional charges. Most of my lifetime, there has been a separate energy charge.  Really?  Should I be surprised that the utility has to purchase fuel to make electricity?  Don’t get me started on the airlines that charge for carry on bags.  Next you know they’ll be charging for what you have in your pockets.

The wages are the wages. Base compensation is incremented by what Princess charges as “crew appreciation”.  They just bill us separately for it.  It keeps the base rate lower and entices more people to book a cruise.  No different than “port fees”. 

I worry that if enough people reverse auto gratuities, the base rates will rise or gratuities will become mandatory.  The lines have to make a profit, or need to start making a profit again or there will be no more cruises.

Fair points. I for one would be quite happy if cruise lines just baked the grats in to the fare. Princess do it to fares here in Aust for us and we just accept the price. If nothing else they should do it just to stop threads on tipping.😏

Edited by leck57
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

We can cruise Princess without Plus ending up with a cheaper overall total when it is full price £50pppd.

Just don't need booze, WiFi, paid dining every cruise. 

It is 50%(£25pppd) often enough to book with it and have the convenience factor even if we don't want to max out the inclusions.

What is amusing are the tipping police that try to shame people for not paying full  CA when the company is happy to cut it in half for you.

• Like 2

@Nemanoxer, if you have liked the Solstice class ships on Celebrity you might try a Royal class on Princess - unless you are thinking of going on the Sun because of itinerary. 

Re the "extras," we were on a B2B (10 days each) in February, did the Standard package. Due to the OBC we had (some of it due to missing Princess Cays each time) our final bill was way less than what we would have paid for the Plus upgrade! I was going to also mention the Military OBC tha Princess does, but I think that's only for U.S. passengers...

• Like 1