Costa maya dock broke?

I just read a post from onboard harmony saying their captain said cant dock,, the dock is broken. They were asking about reimbursement. 

Anyine else see today the dock was being worked on?

I'm going there in the next month. 

27 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I just read a post from onboard harmony saying their captain said cant dock,, the dock is broken. They were asking about reimbursement. 

Not heard about the dock being broken?

I thought the reason given was inclement weather? This seems to be becoming all too common that ships are unable to dock at Costa Maya due to winds and currents.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Broken?  In what way?  Not heard of that. They are made of reinforced concrete and steel pile construction. There are actually two connected piers that can handle four ships in two different docking directions at once. IMO any damage preventing a docking would have to be to the main connecting pier from the mainland, and as mentioned, I can find nothing indicating that.  

The currents and winds there can be strong and can pose a challenge to docking, depending on wind direction and docking pier.  To me that would seem to be the more likely reason for a missed port of call there.  We have never missed a port of call there but have been on ships that have had to deal with strong wind conditions when docking and departing.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Not heard about the dock being broken?

I thought the reason given was inclement weather? This seems to be becoming all too common that ships are unable to dock at Costa Maya due to winds and currents.

Really not worth the stop anyway 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Agreed, love Maya Chan. We have gotten to be good friends with the owners (Americans). The big issue is they are closed a large portion of the peak season. 

I wasn't aware of their closings - been there four times and I guess have always been in season for them - LOL.  Have gotten to know the owners son their who runs the place.  His parents live in CA as I understand.  Very good resort run very well for their guests IMO.  Have never been thirsty or hungry there!

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I wasn't aware of their closings - been there four times and I guess have always been in season for them - LOL.  Have gotten to know the owners son their who runs the place.  His parents live in CA as I understand.  Very good resort run very well for their guests IMO.

EXCELLENT resort, I agree 

33 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It does not matter if you or me like this port (it is OK once in a while), but it is difficult to find substitution. So many ships need ports.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Port charge refunds, if given, are a few bucks. You could maybe buy a drink per person... at best. 

Good luck to them. We have missed several ports over the years and have never seen a refund. 

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I wasn't aware of their closings - been there four times and I guess have always been in season for them - LOL.  Have gotten to know the owners son their who runs the place.  His parents live in CA as I understand.  Very good resort run very well for their guests IMO.  Have never been thirsty or hungry there!

Last year, and again this year, they are closed from June 1 through August 31 during hurricane season.

I agree Mark, Jane, David and Julie are wonderful hosts! 

mac_tlc

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Whilst I agree that is true to a certain extent since cruising resumed that is a very blanket statement. 

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Spending the day here is:

https://costamayabeachresort.com/

Even Maya Chan has exhibited problems since cruising resumed, some of which are expressed in the blog and musings of the original owner, including seasonal weather and staff shortages, resulting in a shortened season. Short port hours for many ships detract from the value and enjoyment of Maya Chan as well as other out of town beach clubs.

Costa Maya has developed some serious problems in recent years due to local bureaucracy together with local greed. I have an uneasy feeling about the area in general these days which is a shame because pre-COVID it was developing into quite a vibrant and flourishing town attracting land visitors as well as cruisers. Many new hotels and beach venues were opening. Many localities are now charging a lot more than the amenities warrant. 

• Like 1

Just now, HoosierCruisers said:

Currently onboard the harmony of the seas. costa Maya had high winds created large waves that damaged the docks cushions should be an easy fix. We had an extra sea day

Thanks for clarifying. Just curious, as there are four pier docking positions, was the damage just to your intended pier or more extensive to affect other options as well - and were there other ships in port then?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I haven't heard anything!

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, HoosierCruisers said:

We were going to be the only ship some of the round black cushions were collapsed and others had broken chains.

Asked only as with four docking positions its odd none were available, but maybe the Captain only had limited options.   Again just curious and it is what it is.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

42 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I was just there last week, all was well

Understood.  But the original question was regarding the current situation and a passenger on board Harmony presently indicated that there apparently is some damage to the pier ship cushions and they were unable to dock on this cruise.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Colorado Buffalo said:

We are taking the Native Tours Mayan Experience tour. Hoping for the best as I've ready good reviews.

We did a tour with them in September and it was great! The guide was knowledgeable and friendly. They also let us know how much they appreciated that we booked with them directly vs. through a tour consolidator.

• Like 1