Formal Nights

skiladyldp

Hello, we are booked for an Alaskan cruise in July 2025.  There will be 2 formal nights.  How can I find out what nights those are because we may want to go to a Specialty restaurant instead? We don't want to bring a tux or fancy cocktail dress.  I appreciate your help.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skiladyldp said:

Hello, we are booked for an Alaskan cruise in July 2025.  There will be 2 formal nights.  How can I find out what nights those are because we may want to go to a Specialty restaurant instead? We don't want to bring a tux or fancy cocktail dress.  I appreciate your help.

I wouldn’t worry about a tux or coat and tie for that matter. Others may disagree with me but we normally travel on past our cruises and therefore don’t have room for really formal wear. I have never felt out of place. Many do dress up and they look great but the nature of our travel limits what we can pack.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would not worry about true formal wear, like tux and cocktail dress. Just bring nice clothing.

We could take a guess on the formal nights if you provide the date and ship so we can review the itinerary. Formal evenings will never be the last evening before turn around day or boarding day evening. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, skiladyldp said:

Don't be to concerned about formal wear on Princess unless it's something that you personally want to bring. They leave it up to each person to decide what is appropriate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely do NOT need a tux or cocktail dress for formal night. Some may wear them, but there is certainly no requirement. Just don't wear shorts, holey jeans, or a t-shirt/tank top and you will be fine.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, skiladyldp said:

Wear Smart Casual all time?  You will be fine.  Go to SD on any night you choose.

• Like 1

Formal nights on an Alaska cruise, is more casual then other cruises. I noticed that a dress shirt and jacket (no tie) for the men and a mid-length dress was the norm during the formal nights (2 nights at sea days).

Some couples were a bit more dressed up, but the majority was more like smart casual.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, akaCruiser said:

Formal nights on an Alaska cruise, is more casual then other cruises. I noticed that a dress shirt and jacket (no tie) for the men and a mid-length dress was the norm during the formal nights (2 nights at sea days).

Some couples were a bit more dressed up, but the majority was more like smart casual.

On our most recent Alaska cruise, it seemed polo shirts were the norm.  Whatever the case, any of the old school concerns about being underdressed no longer apply.  Dress neatly and there will be much happiness!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

On our most recent Alaska cruise, it seemed polo shirts were the norm.  Whatever the case, any of the old school concerns about being underdressed no longer apply.  Dress neatly and there will be much happiness!  

On one of our Alaskan cruises we saw overalls worn on a Formal night with no hassels at all.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

On one of our Alaskan cruises we saw overalls worn on a Formal night with no hassels at all.  

If they had sequins then it is all good.  😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, wcflats said:

Ok overalls is where I would have a problem with.   

How is that so much worse than board shorts with flip flops and ball cap

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mark_K said:

That might be giving some people too much leeway.

Yes, but the small number of folks that dress down to that extent is very minimal on any cruise. 

More people benefit from the relaxed ruling in general compared to being dressed up. It certainly hasn't resulted in people staying away from booking cruises from what I can see. 

21 hours ago, Potstech said:

Princess no longer has a "Formal" night. Another item that has passed with time.

Well, on their website they still use the term "Formal":

https://www.princess.com/en-us/faq/pre-cruise#what-to-pack-for-a-cruise

Though the website still says:

• Evening gown, cocktail dress or elegant pant suit for women
  • Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

So what the website says and what actually happens on the ship may not be in sync.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Their website like many of their other documentations has not been changed in years. Just like calling customer service. Ask the same question to 3 of hem and get 4 different answers.  Most likely none are accurate.

Have not worn a tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket in years. But I have wore slacks, I think.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 3