Stupid question about the luggage tags

schattenfell71

Hello,

we will be on QA´s maiden in one week and I´ve just printed out the luggage tags. We will fly from Düsseldorf (Germany) to London and my question is what to do with the luggage tags.

Should I attach them before the flight or when we collect the luggage back at the airport? And how??

I do not have some glue or a stapler with me.

Need some advice please.

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Alternatively get a set of these from Amazon - Luggage Tags - Link  and fit them once you've retrieved your luggage at the airport - other brands are available (Top Tip - Print labels at 130% and trim the excess before folding for a perfect fit)

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, rakkor said:

Alternatively get a set of these from Amazon - Luggage Tags - Link  and fit them once you've retrieved your luggage at the airport - other brands are available (Top Tip - Print labels at 130% and trim the excess before folding for a perfect fit)

That´s a good idea!

Will it work to put only this inside these luggage tags?

Unbenannt.thumb.JPG.c23fdc641db03eef911a813ed2c999eb.JPG

I guess my name and the mobile phone number should be also visible.

Edited by schattenfell71

Yes - trim the excess off the labels, fold in half lengthways and then fold in half across the middle - I have my name and phone hidden inside - if access is needed then the porters can just extract the label from the holder  - see below

IMG_20602-1.thumb.jpg.5a10d8f4962375b8d057384d29e95d8b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can't advise about air travel and luggage tags, but those tags are a gripe with me.

Most definitely a first world problem, but it annoys me.

Spent a gazillion dollars on a grill cabin and we have to print our own, paper tags?

Bring a stapler? tape? ugh. And we shouldn't be forced to track down and buy the little holders!

Even the most mundane of cruise lines, give you actual plastic tags, usually with your name and cabin number!

Yeah, I know, cost cutting, but it annoys me and now I'm done with my rant.....(giggle!)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mudhen said:

I can't advise about air travel and luggage tags, but those tags are a gripe with me.

Spent a gazillion dollars on a grill cabin and we have to print our own, paper tags?

Bring a stapler? tape? ugh. And we shouldn't be forced to track down and buy the little holders!

Even the most mundane of cruise lines, give you actual plastic tags, usually with your name and cabin number!

Yeah, I know, cost cutting, but it annoys me and now I'm done with my rant.....(giggle!)

Sail Seabourn or Silversea -  just the same as I've experience recently .

Enjoy the rest of your day.  

3 hours ago, Mudhen said:

I agree. The 'old' booklet with itinerary/excursions/luggage tags is sadly missed

but

we bought the plastic tag wallets for our very first Cunard cruise. No tracking down involved as the mighty river had various styles in spades. Dead easy and gave/gives us peace of mind the tags will stay put. 🙂

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

If we just bring the cases and tags to the dock, do they have a stapler there they can use to get them fixed? If not, what do they do?

Haha! I have no clue!

Put a small roll of tape in your purse/pocket/carry on.

7 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

If we just bring the cases and tags to the dock, do they have a stapler there they can use to get them fixed? If not, what do they do?

I’ve been provided with a stapler at a port when I’ve arrived directly from the airport to the port. Alternatively they can provide you with tags then and there which you can fill in. Recently I just asked the desk at the hotel to lend me a stapler to attach the luggage tags just before I got into a cab for the port. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Good Morning- Guten Morgen. All questions answered already- anyway- I sometimes forgot to print my tags and got them from the porter without any further ado. So not to worry. I usually print them out and have them stapled them when checking out of the hotel- or I let the porter take care of it.

Just never put them at the luggage when you check in at the airport.

Schattenfell- is this your first Cunard voyage?

I am big fan of Cunard, esp. QM2. I am curious about the first pictures of QA´s interiour. I am not overly happy with QA´s lack of a propper promenade deck. The new Cunarder is built on the base of the Pinacle Class- which is also Holand Americas Nieuw Statendam - I sailed with that ship- but did not really like the layout. So I hope the interious is more " Cunard Style"!

Edited by Germancruiser

Rather than all the worry of finding a stapler (I hate stapled tags - too easy to rip your hands on them) or a roll of sellotape why not buy some of the plastic sleeves, from the Brazilian River site, that the luggage tags slot into and then all you need do is attach then to your case at the appropriate time?

Thank you all. I guess because it's a one-off with a paper tag, being taken from a dock 10 yards to our room on the ship! I already have super leather tags on our cases for flying, but they are small and would not fit the long paper tags from Cunard. Thank you anyway, I shall let the porters staple the paper tags when we give them the cases (which also have our names on anyway in the leather tags).

1 hour ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Thank you all. I guess because it's a one-off with a paper tag, being taken from a dock 10 yards to our room on the ship! I already have super leather tags on our cases for flying, but they are small and would not fit the long paper tags from Cunard. Thank you anyway, I shall let the porters staple the paper tags when we give them the cases (which also have our names on anyway in the leather tags).

Your point is well taken :) and your plan ought to work.

If you do decide to use tags, I'd recommend the plastic ones so both sides of the folded tag are visible. Makes it much easier for the crew onboard. (We had a bag misdirected to another stateroom when I fumbled the tag attachment.)

FWIW, I attach them at the hotel on the morning of disembarkation. Too much risk of an airlline tearing them off by accident.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Your point is well taken 🙂 and your plan ought to work.

If you do decide to use tags, I'd recommend the plastic ones so both sides of the folded tag are visible. Makes it much easier for the crew onboard. (We had a bag misdirected to another stateroom when I fumbled the tag attachment.)

FWIW, I attach them at the hotel on the morning of disembarkation. Too much risk of an airlline tearing them off by accident.

Sorry, I’m being very dim here, but why does it matter if you’ve disembarked?

17 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Sorry, I’m being very dim here, but why does it matter if you’ve disembarked?

I'm trying to come up with a witty answer here, but all I've got is - Sorry, my mistake. I meant "embarkation".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

I'm trying to come up with a witty answer here, but all I've got is - Sorry, my mistake. I meant "embarkation".

That makes all the difference, much better than a witty answer which would have left my poor brain further confused. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Your point is well taken 🙂 and your plan ought to work.

We are leaving on Sunday on the QM 2, my husband has been fiddling with putting the tag into the plastic sleeves.  First he cut it, putting our room number etc, on the front and his name on the back.  Then here I see someone just folded it, leaving their name on the inside when it is easy to get at if needed.  I think this is the advice we will take.   THANKS

We prefer the plastic sleeves, which firmly attach to our luggage, just stapling paper seems like it will get torn off too easily. 

• Like 1

My first time on QM2 the case with my husband's formal wear went missing because the tag came off. We had a few tense hours worried about not being able to go to dinner for a week before our steward told us to look in the lobby. Ours was not the only bag there with no tags. Since then we've tried a few things like laminating the tags and using either sellotape or cable ties to attach them but the plastic luggage tag holders work the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There are two sizes of the plastic luggage tag holders...Cunard uses the skinnier ones, but you could certainly manage with the wider ones.

Besides using the plastic covers makes you look like a veteran knowledgeable cruiser 🙂

Edited by Gretchendz
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Gretchendz said:

There are two sizes of the plastic luggage tag holders...Cunard uses the skinnier ones, but you could certainly manage with the wider ones.

Besides using the plastic covers makes you look like a veteran knowledgeable cruiser 🙂

Good to know that my Princess/HAL luggage tag holders will work for Cunard!

• Like 1