Spending OBC on board

stephensfamily5

We have cruised on several cruiselines before, but never Azamara.  We have a rather large OBC.  I know this topic has been asked before, but we are not interested in upgrading our drink package or in staying connected with wifi.  We are not big spa people. We probably won't spend an extra $100/couple (even if credit) for a meal when we can get a perfectly good one in the dining room.  So I am looking at the excursions and have booked a couple.  Many seem very high on the price, so I am wondering what other things there may be in which to use the credit.  I thought I read somewhere that there is a full ship tour for $150?  I also read about watercolor classes?  Is there usually a cost for these?  Bingo?  Is there usually a good selection in the gift shop?  And are the gift shop prices outrageous?  I am just trying to decide what opportunities there may be later to spend the credit as opposed to using it for an expensive shore excursion.  Thank you for any suggestions. We are excited to cruise on the Azamara Journey.

• Like 1

I have brought gifts for crew to use up my money.

i never buy for me in shop.i do spa.do you drink wine?

bingo..I do not play so no idea  of cost per card.

I think you’ll find spots to spend your OBC. There are two shops, one has mid-range jewelry, some clothing, bags and toiletries. The other, Indulgences, has higher end jewelry and watches. I don’t find the prices outrageous, but I’m not spending ‘my’ money. 
The full ship tour is wonderful. They take you everywhere they possibly can, including the bridge, and explain so much! I certainly recommend it. 
There is certainly good food available at no additional cost, but the Chef’s Tables are a special dining experience. It’s a small group, a fine meal and paired wines. I’m by no means a sophisticated wine drinker, but I do it for the great food and the delightful company.

Enjoy your cruise!

Melissa

• Like 1

Watercolour classes are free. There is bingo, so you can spend your OBC on that. I agree that most excursions are overpriced, on the other can you can view them as ‘free’ if you’re using OBC on them. When we have a lot of OBC we tend to use it on excursions as it saves us using our own money to buy independent tours.

• Like 2

Some good ideas from @Melissaghoti and @Grandma Cruising  I would also add if you’ve odd amounts left you can buy Elemis products from the spa to take home. Rather than lose the money I treat myself to “nicer” shower gel and conditioner to enjoy as a treat back home 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, candkd said:

Can you use OBC to tip someone for great service?

For individuals no but if it’s refundable OBC you can withdraw it as cash and distribute that or the fairer way to reward all is have it transferred to the Crew Welfare fund which pays for crew social events and excursions 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We have the same issue, data we have through our phones, non of the ports require excursions and our preference is to catch a local bus to some where and find a hole in the wall cafe/bar with the locals. No food is going to be as good as at home so why pay more? So long as they have a red wine and a dry white we are more than happy.

It looks like we will be coming back with some smellies.

Will look into chefs table as we have enjoyed it on other lines as an experience.

Edited by Catchum
  • Like 1

Ending our cruise in Southampton   Called in to Azamara to nook a transfer to the airport.  Price was reasonable, $211.00. Thought I could use my OBC but was told it would have to be prepaid using credit card.

Any idea if I can use OBC once I board.

Also be careful many changes to my PDF of shore excursions vs. what is online.  Changes in price,  time and what’s included.

9 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

Ending our cruise in Southampton   Called in to Azamara to nook a transfer to the airport.  Price was reasonable, $211.00. Thought I could use my OBC but was told it would have to be prepaid using credit card.

Any idea if I can use OBC once I board.

Also be careful many changes to my PDF of shore excursions vs. what is online.  Changes in price,  time and what’s included.

Yes.  This is exactly the position we were in last October returning to the UK from Istanbul.  There was no problem booking an airport transfer onboard and using up our OBC balance to pay for it.  From memory we had a very small debit balance by the end of the cruise and after this, so they charged that to our credit card as normal.

I have to wear sun glasses most of the time due to an eye disease so I usually add to my "sunnies" collection when I'm board and have credit to use!! 🙂

In the past they allowed me to send a staff member (my cabin steward) to choose something with my OBC. They don't allow that any more but you can ask your steward what they would like and buy it for them. I also treat myself occasionally to one of the wildly expensive Atlas Bar cocktails or buy nice personal care goodies in the shop/spa. Last trip I had a huge amount of OBC so I invited 7 of my fellow solo travellers (most of whom I had travelled with before) to Aqualina for dinner. It was a great evening and a wonderful way to use up OBC

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 2:02 PM, LuAnn said:

I have to wear sun glasses most of the time due to an eye disease so I usually add to my "sunnies" collection when I'm board and have credit to use!! 🙂

I have a pair of $350 Prada sunglasses (that I never wear) from our last Azamara cruise...bought with OBC.

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

$350!!!!

When we have massive amounts of non-refundable OBC, it becomes play money. It's use it or lose it, and I see no reason to leave money on the table. 

My Maui Jim sunglasses (which I wear almost every day) were much more expensive than the pair they replaced. They were a lovely indulgence with happy memories attached.

• Like 4

We have been in a similar situation with a rather large nonrefundable OBC.  We used some on specialty restaurant dining which we enjoyed, but primarily on excursions.  Although the excursions are overpriced, it was the best value for us.  We did not upgrade the WiFi package, but it will be at the top of our list on the next cruise.  The main thing is to spend all that OBC on something, overpriced or not since it’s use it or lose it.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

$350!!!!

$350 in theory technically zero if it was non refundable OBC you would lose and have nothing else you can see to spend it on.  Not a bad idea using the OBC you have left after you’ve had all the other things you do want on something tangible.
I know someone who used up OBC buying a watch they didn’t need. Kept it boxed and with the tags on and sold it on marketplace when they got home. 
Actually for non US guests that’s a good price for most Prada glasses. 

Even though the land discoveries are expensive using obc on them we see them as reducing costs as we do not have transportation and admission costs ashore. 

• Like 2

We have a large OBC for a transatlantic on Journey this fall. Since we booked a Club Continent suite (flash sale was for less than half price), no option to spend it on spa access or specialty dining, as both are included with that cabin. My wife is looking into massage offerings in the spa. I’m thinking of a few nice bottles of wine, which she would of course share.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, uktog said:

$350 in theory technically zero if it was non refundable OBC you would lose and have nothing else you can see to spend it on.  Not a bad idea using the OBC you have left after you’ve had all the other things you do want on something tangible.
I know someone who used up OBC buying a watch they didn’t need. Kept it boxed and with the tags on and sold it on marketplace when they got home. 
Actually for non US guests that’s a good price for most Prada glasses. 

Even though the land discoveries are expensive using obc on them we see them as reducing costs as we do not have transportation and admission costs ashore. 

She said she didn't use them.