Medical Emergency Without Insurance: Article about Independence of the Seas

Anyone else wonder why the girl didn't pick up phone in cabin and call medical instead of running around looking for help?

Sad story that he didn't even have medical insurance in the US, especially someone with medical issues. 

If you cannot afford insurance then why splurge on internet and swim with pigs instead of all the free things you can do in the bahamas and cococay.  Plenty of websites to give them info on free things to do. 

Oh well, hopefully they have learned how to manage money and be prepared for emergencies.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I have no issues with self insuring the trip.  That is a fixed amount and won't change and I will take that risk.  What I will never do is self insure medical as there is no upper limit on what the potential cost could be. 

If you consider Evacuation a part of Medical Insurance, I agree with everything you said.  

5 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

When we started cruising in 2003, we made a conscious decision to self insure, both travel and medical. We were both in excellent health and the finances to do so, and we felt lucky. We ended up with 47 cruises and 494 days at sea. We also had to fly to and from the ports. The $10k bill mentioned would hurt a little bit but wouldn’t change our lifestyle on iota. The money saved was invested and grew like weeds. 
I’m guessing the actual savings, plus the growth from investing it makes the $10k look like chump change.

I hear what you're saying, but a couple points: 

- I think you understand you were lucky not to need your cruise insurance.  I haven't taken as many cruises as you, but I have used my insurance.  

- Many -- no, I'm going to say most -- people who choose to skip insurance don't approach the choice in the way you did; that is, they wouldn't save and invest.  

- The chances of being evacuated are slim, but IF it happened to you, it'd cost more than 10K.  

- If you go with a third party insurer and choose JUST Medical and Evacuation, insurance isn't all that expensive.  We pay less than $50 for the two of us for a one-week cruise.  

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Anyone else wonder why the girl didn't pick up phone in cabin and call medical instead of running around looking for help?

Not everyone's good in an emergency.  She was extremely lucky to run into a passenger whose wife was an emergency room physician.  

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If you cannot afford insurance then why splurge on internet and swim with pigs instead of all the free things you can do in the bahamas and cococay.  Plenty of websites to give them info on free things to do. 

Speaks to the couple's priorities.  Don't we all know loads of people who -- if they have a single dollar in their pocket -- will spend it without much thought beyond the end of the month?  We've all heard the statistic; I just googled it -- says 59% of all Americans are one paycheck away from homelessness.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

I’m glad neither of you ever had a serious medical issue during your cruising years.   Between medical expenses and medical transport back to your own country, such an event can cost far, far more than $10k.  

I just used the $10k number because that was the number that was posted. We were well aware what a medical transport back to the US would cost, probably three times that, still not a big deal. I mentioned getting lucky by doing it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Respectfully, I don't think that was the article's point; rather, I think they were hoping for handouts.  

Yup and they got some. Goal of his Self Funding is $10K when posted last yr, they received $3671 from total of 51 donors, though only 12 are new donors this yr

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

I just used the $10k number because that was the number that was posted. We were well aware what a medical transport back to the US would cost, probably three times that, still not a big deal. I mentioned getting lucky by doing it.

I understand you took the 10K from another poster and I’d have made the same comment if the number had been triple.  Would 300k in medical plus medical evac for one of you had been a big deal? Even worse, what if a serious accident resulted in both of you sustaining life severe injuries?  Yes, during your cruising you were lucky while without travel medical.  I hope your luck continues in you post-cruising years. So far, we have been lucky with travel medical; I hope we never need to use it.  I also hope I don’t need to use my auto or home insurance. 

When we age our higher limit travel medical options seem to decline.  I wish a company offered a high deductible, high limit, annual (or multi year) policy to cover those of us concerned about really catastrophic travel medical events. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Fwiw, we found that an annual medical focused policy is pretty cheap, all things considered. Just a few hundred bucks for a year, and the evac coverage is really high. 

if you only travel once, taking the risk *might* work, but multiple times a year?  Especially the older you get and the injuries change. 

The expensive part of travel insurance is any reason cancellation. And for that, I would suggest to look into your CCs, as some have really good coverage included on the card. 

Edited by alfaeric
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

Fwiw, we found that an annual medical focused policy is pretty cheap, all things considered. Just a few hundred bucks for a year, and the evac coverage is really high. 

if you only travel once, taking the risk *might* work, but multiple times a year?  Especially the older you get and the injuries change. 

The expensive part of travel insurance is any reason cancellation. And for that, I would suggest to look into your CCs, as some have really good coverage included on the card. 

I believe there’s add on too, at least with Travelers Insured.  So if you want to add interruption it can be an added on for that specific trip.  Then there was also a limit for 45 days per trip.  Someone posted a broker that specializes in travel insurance I will need to call once I purchase.  But I agree seems very inexpensive. My trip happens to be in 2026 so I had no choice but to purchase individual policy. 

14 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Oh well, hopefully they have learned how to manage money and be prepared for emergencies.

I wish this were so but sadly I doubt it.  I remember an WSJ article, I think, that I read a while ago that indicated 40% of Americans are one missed paycheck away from poverty. 

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I just turned 58, and I'm  satisfied with what we're paying from a third-party insurance agency

My post wasn’t about rates it was about the number of different insurers offering policies and the limits on medical coverage on those policies. The offering will vary by place of residence (county and state) as well as age.  When the oldest person was your age, we had more insurers offering us annual policies including some high medical coverage limits ($500k or 1M).  As the oldest traveler was into 70’s then into 80’s, there were fewer choices and lower medical limits on annual policies.  

• Like 2

Being a Canadian I really enjoy not having to worry about the cost of healthcare so we make sure we go overkill for every trip out of the Country. It's not that hard either between our company provided benefits and the insurance that's included on our no fee travel credit card that we make sure we use to book with. 

4 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I wish this were so but sadly I doubt it.  I remember an WSJ article, I think, that I read a while ago that indicated 40% of Americans are one missed paycheck away from poverty. 

It's only getting worse. 

I honestly thought most americans pay for everything on credit cards and pay it off monthly? There for with interest on the credit card they are technically going into debt for a cruise?.

Now i may be wrong (often am) but to me the american pay, credit card use, job security rules , medical etc is mindboggling. But then i suppose our UK rules are just as strange to you guys across the pond. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I honestly thought most americans pay for everything on credit cards and pay it off monthly? There for with interest on the credit card they are technically going into debt for a cruise?.

Now i may be wrong (often am) but to me the american pay, credit card use, job security rules , medical etc is mindboggling. But then i suppose our UK rules are just as strange to you guys across the pond. 

Having lived in four countries on your side of the pond and two on this side, I definitely understand being perplexed by cultural norms. 😉 One clarification, however: if you pay off your credit card monthly, there is no interest charged. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

There is a grace period on most credit cards.  If we pay our full credit card balance on time each month we don’t pay any interest.  By paying this way we do not go into debt for a cruise yet we get certain payment protections from the credit card company plus extra member benefits (cash back, travel insurance, etc).  Retailers pay a transaction fee so credit card companies can make a profit even if we don’t pay interest.  Of course, plenty of people carry a balance on their credit cards; they may pay substantial interest.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

There is a grace period on most credit cards.  If we pay our full credit card balance on time each month we don’t pay any interest.  By paying this way we do not go into debt for a cruise yet we get certain payment protections from the credit card company plus extra member benefits (cash back, travel insurance, etc).  Retailers pay a transaction fee so credit card companies can make a profit even if we don’t pay interest.  Of course, plenty of people carry a balance on their credit cards; they may pay substantial interest.

Also some credit card offer no interest for purchases for x months or as attached, payments monthly.   So it’s very difficult to make blanket statements or to “judge”.  But only a financial advisor that knows a person’s situation can give good advice.  But I agree “in general” unless zero or very low interest rates better to wait to be able to pay off the debt/credit card. 

IMG_0742.png

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 5:45 AM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Not having medical travel insurance is an american thing. For us brits i would say 99% of people get travel insurance. Even though the vast majority will not use it for the sake of coverage its worth it. My travel insurance for a family of three is £158 a year and covers medical cost of £2 million GBP. I also do NOT need to pay up front. the insurance pays as long as you contact them at the time and they authorise paying for the treatment. 

For me too " 🍁 I do not need to pay up front. the insurance pays as long as I/they are contacted at the time and they authorize paying for the treatment."

8 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Being a Canadian I really enjoy not having to worry about the cost of healthcare so we make sure we go overkill for every trip out of the Country. It's not that hard either between our company provided benefits and the insurance that's included on our no fee travel credit card that we make sure we use to book with. 

Ditto! same here! 🍁

On 5/22/2024 at 7:45 AM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I also do NOT need to pay up front. the insurance pays as long as you contact them at the time and they authorise paying for the treatment. 

So someone is having a seizure and they should contact the insurance company before being take down to the medical center?🤔

On 5/22/2024 at 10:44 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

How could RCI have handled it better??? This is 100 percent on the couple and specifically the guy who had the seizures. That is one of the biggest problems in the USA these days. Too many people want to blame others instead of taking personal responsibility when something goes wrong. 

Personal responsibility? I've never heard a TV lawyer commercial with a 1-800 number ever mention that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So someone is having a seizure and they should contact the insurance company before being take down to the medical center?🤔

UK Insurance does have in the T&C that you need to contact them ASAP to authorise treatment if it looks like it's going to be pricey. I think it's so they can rule out pre-existing conditions that you might not have told them about etc. and make sure the patient is covered.

• Like 1

From what Ive seen the cruise line requires us to pay first and then we have the right to claim from insurer.

Insurance is so complicated so I hope when time comes I did everything right.  If anyone has a good link as to educating on the nuances would love to see it.  

States have different requirements as well as age plays into it. In Florida the insurance I called has 15 or 30 days where preexisting is covered.  And thats assuming you were well when you put down the first deposit, even if refundable. Hence my initiating my insurance for 2026 cruise. 

I checked Canada and here's some of the reasons for denial. https://bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/blog/7-reasons-why-travel-insurance-claims-are-denied

• Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 6:25 PM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I honestly thought most americans pay for everything on credit cards and pay it off monthly?

Well, I'm an American, and that's exactly what I do.  I use my credit card to buy groceries, gas, a haircut, a cruise -- seriously, I put everything on my card.  If I buy something as small as a coffee, I use my card.  The day the bill comes, I pay in full.  I pay 0 interest, and I use my credit card rewards points to "buy" restaurant gift cards, which I give to my parents and in-laws for Christmas.  It's a win-win-win thing.  

BUT I am financially conservative and secure.  My husband and I ONCE -- ONCE -- carried a balance on our credit card for two months.  We had a unique situation, which has never come up again.  Even though we made a purposeful choice, I was SO STRESSED those two months.  The interest!  

I just googled "How many Americans have credit card debt?" and the results were confusing: 

- 82% of Americans have at least one credit card. 

- 33% carry credit card debt from month to month. 

- Over 60% have credit card debt.  (Not sure how to reconcile those two statements -- they seem to contradict one another.  Maybe that means that I'm part of the 60% because right now I have made charges, but the bill hasn't come yet?  I do owe something, but it isn't due yet.) 

- The average household owes $7000 in credit card debt.  

- Credit card debt is over 1 trillion worldwide.  

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Personal responsibility?

Not a popular concept. Very out of style. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Well, I'm an American, and that's exactly what I do.  I use my credit card to buy groceries, gas, a haircut, a cruise -- seriously, I put everything on my card.  If I buy something as small as a coffee, I use my card.  The day the bill comes, I pay in full.  I pay 0 interest

Us too. But we split most of it between Costco and Delta Amex. Costco has the cash back and Delta Amex is for Medallion status

I've had experience with this with a family member who became ill on a cruise and was taken off, with travel insurance. You are somewhat at the mercy of your travel insurance provider regarding evacuation back to the US. Insurance would much prefer you recover enough to fly home commercial. So you may spend a period of time in a foreign hospital. And they will want to be paid. I would not recommend being cash poor in this situation. Travel insurance did eventually reimburse for all those on the ground expenses but you have to have the space on a credit card up front. I don't care how healthy someone is, always get the insurance. This would have been well over $100K without insurance. Royal's shore side support was very helpful through this by the way. Perhaps because we had the insurance they did not ask for payment for the onboard care prior to evacuation. I believe that part was handled directly from the insurance company.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2024 at 7:40 AM, JustinandMaria said:

Wow.  Poor guy.  Most kids his age don’t get travel insurance. And as the article mentioned easily missed as it was a gift.  He wouldn’t have had credit card insurance since he didn’t book the trip.  RCCL could have handled a bit better IMO. 

For crying out loud, the “kid” is 31.

• Like 7