Final cruise account frustration with HAL

On the 1to 10 scale I'd give HAL zero for customer service when it comes to answering questions about the final billing.  I have been on 47 HAL cruises and this is the first time I have ever questioned a final billing.  They reference a phone number .800 599 8256.  This results in lousy guidance in contact information and is no more than a phone tree that is possibly meant to confuse and discourage.  I am very disappointed in HALs approach to solving accounting problems. 

• Like 1

If you can’t get a resolution try the the contact info on Elliott.org for the higher ups.

I had $30 in erroneous mini bar charges in our first post Covid HAL cruise (we don’t use the mini bar and don’t drink). Pre Covid, this happened once and a simple call resolved it with an apology and a refund. What we used to call “customer service”!  This time, it involved 3 phone calls to HAL, conversation explaining to the operator what a “mini bar” was, and 4 hours of my time, on hold, etc.  I was told they would verify with the ship. Well, the ship made the error, so how is verifying anything with them going to get a different result? I then got an email telling me they had checked with the ship and I was wrong and the charges were correct! I emailed one of the higher ups through the Elliott.org contact info and it was resolved. 
Sad, but this is the state of things now and HAL isn’t alone in this.

• Like 1

I called the reservations accounting and billing department at the phone number provided.  I had to call a couple of times to make them understand the problem but I eventually received a check for the erroneous amount.

• Like 2

If you're not in a rush - emailing  - Onboardbilling@hollandamerica.com works. I have used it in the past.

It's slower, but easier than phoning (at least for me).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Did your billing problem show up after you disembarked, or before? As a prolific cruiser, you obviously know that it is infinitely better to take care of any billing issues while still on the ship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/3/2024 at 4:07 PM, rodndonna said:

If you're not in a rush - emailing  - Onboardbilling@hollandamerica.com works. I have used it in the past.

It's slower, but easier than phoning (at least for me).

I had success with using this route.  Emailed on Thursday. Response on Tuesday.
I  had the Elite Beverage Package.  I had made a number of additional tips on the cruise. While onboard it showed as tips. Once on land and looking at my final statement it showed as if I had gone over the SBP price and was being charged the difference.   I asked they give me the money back if they couldn’t readjust it back to tips.  So they offered me a refund of $6.50 ( correct amount) or I could take an OBC for of $20 if I preferred. 

On 6/3/2024 at 3:05 PM, KAKcruiser said:

I called the reservations accounting and billing department at the phone number provided.  I had to call a couple of times to make them understand the problem but I eventually received a check for the erroneous amount.

17 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

They also offered me a refund of $4.00 (correct amount) or an OBC of $20.  I took the money.

Your persistence is admirable (I think).  I wouldn't waste my time on a simple email for $4.00.

• Like 1

I know it wasn't much money and not worth the time involved.  But, it was the principle.  They were wrong to charge me and I'm sure they are doing it to lots of people.  We have to keep speaking up.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

I know it wasn't much money and not worth the time involved.  But, it was the principle.  They were wrong to charge me and I'm sure they are doing it to lots of people.  We have to keep speaking up.  

I recently called my credit company when I realized I was charged $3 and change instead of a refund of not quite $2 after a return. The representative complimented me on basically my standing up for principles.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I know it wasn't much money and not worth the time involved.  But, it was the principle.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I recently called my credit company when I realized I was charged $3 and change instead of a refund of not quite $2 after a return. The representative complimented me on basically my standing up for principles.

I have no problem with anyone's principles or priorities. As I get older, my time starts taking more and more priority. It's a personal choice what principles I choose to devote my time. A principle over a few dollars isn't one of them. To each their own.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

I have no problem with anyone's principles or priorities. As I get older, my time starts taking more and more priority. It's a personal choice what principles I choose to devote my time. A principle over a few dollars isn't one of them. To each their own.

Actually when I typed the post you qouted, I could not think of the word the customer service representative used (another thing that happens with age), but now I think I remember it. It was my diligence she said, not principles.

• Like 1

The way HAL does billing now is appalling. They used to send a bill under your door. That is gone. You are supposed to use the app. But it doesn't work on Android phones! And the line at the front desk can be 45 minutes or more. I wish they would put back the machine that would print a bill accounting any time you wanted it.I had bill errors and I wasn't sure they were fixed. I was charged for mini bar and Pinnacle dinners erroneously. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sambamama said:

The way HAL does billing now is appalling. They used to send a bill under your door. That is gone. You are supposed to use the app. But it doesn't work on Android phones! And the line at the front desk can be 45 minutes or more. I wish they would put back the machine that would print a bill accounting any time you wanted it.I had bill errors and I wasn't sure they were fixed. I was charged for mini bar and Pinnacle dinners erroneously. 

We check our account every day or so using the television in the cabin.  Someone posted a link for all the old version of navigator app that you can install.  Once you have the older version installed you can then use the “Let us Know” feature on the APP.  

37 minutes ago, sambamama said:

We also preferred the final bill under our door.  However often there were still issues with billing when people got home being charged for something they didn’t order or take from the fridge.   It happened to us a few years ago and luckily it was resolved when we were home but it is still very annoying.  A final bill should be FINAL.  

• Like 1

Hi @Haljo1935 hoping you can assist.  @sambamama is having trouble loading the navigator app on her phone, as we have an android phone and have no problem with the app, I am suspecting her android phone is older and she needs an earlier version of the app.  I seem to recall, I believe it was you, you had posted a bunch of earlier versions on the app, so sambamama would hopefully be able to load an earlier version so at least she could use the Let us Know feature on the APP in case she is experiencing any problems or has questions about her account. I find the APP wonderful to gives kudos to customer about excellent staff and is also good if their are any discrepancies on the account.

45 minutes ago, sambamama said:

I wish they would put back the machine that would print a bill accounting any time you wanted it.

It's called the TV. I know it doesn't print, but it still gives you what you need. Just curious, how old is your android?

8 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

It's called the TV. I know it doesn't print, but it still gives you what you need. Just curious, how old is your android?

I take photos of my final bill from the TV, just in case.  Helps me keep track.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I take photos of my final bill from the TV, just in case.  Helps me keep track.

Good idea!

I have a brand new Samsung S24 plus, so that's not the issue.I have uninstalled the app 4 times. I've changed my password. I was totally unable to do anything on the app. We all know that HAL's IT is awful. Look at their website. It is now so awkwardly designed it is basically unuseable. You can't even search for cabins except one section of the ship at a time.How stupid is that??

16 hours ago, sambamama said:

The way HAL does billing now is appalling. They used to send a bill under your door. That is gone. You are supposed to use the app. But it doesn't work on Android phones! And the line at the front desk can be 45 minutes or more.

One can always go to the ship's public computers on the last night---last thing before going to bed, and print out your own 'final bill'. 
This is, of course, checking my bill every day or two throughout the cruise to get any errors corrected before it becomes too difficult to do. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sambamama said:

I have a brand new Samsung S24 plus, so that's not the issue.

That is strange. I have an S22 and my wife has an S24. Navigator works just fine.

Are you talking about when you're on the ship? We haven't experienced that yet.

• Like 1