Is the medallion mandatory?

18 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Maybe it's weird that we always carry our cellphones with us, but on other lines and even on Princess, we text each other through WhatsApp or iMessage to find each other.

That would require the other person to answer. The app doesn’t require the other person to be awake, alert or not otherwise indisposed. 

17 hours ago, cruisinsince75 said:

I got Mr. Underhills Medallion.  He is wondering how he hit his 25 drink limit so fast on his Package and why was he charged for a bottle of Dom! 🤣  oh and his AMEX # is.... 😆

I’m not saying it couldn’t be done, but bartenders are supposed to match you to your photo on their screen. 

Likewise, I don’t see how possession of someone’s medallion gives you access to any data beyond their name. Certainly not their credit card number. 

I may be underestimating your hacking skills. 

15 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

I think I will like the medallion my husband will get use to the idea. We don't have location turned on for our phones or any device so he feel a little uncomfortable. I had him read though these posts and he did get a chuckle from some, thanks. Just as a note I don't use the app so all those features won't be any use to us, we lock up the phones when we board. I personally like going to the IC counter or bar myself so ordering won't happen.

Let me tell you about how nice it is going to the supermarket for a big shop, and coming home to find the garage door going up and your spouse waiting there to schlep the bags into the house, all because he checked your location and saw that you were just turning the corner at the end of the street. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, ecs66 said:

Some resent the loss of personal privacy in all walks of their lives.  It's a legit issue.  Sadly, it's an issue that we're stuck with, having slid down that slippery slope over the last 10 years.

I just had this conversation a few days ago.

My sister (nosy), Lexus (car GPS), AAA (auto insurance app for discount), and Publix (grocery store) all know that I do my weekly food shopping early on Thursday morning.  

Heck, Ben and Jerry's probably even know that I only buy their ice cream when it is BOGO, since I always pay with a credit card.. 

It is waaaay to late to worry who or what knows all about you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

I’m not saying it couldn’t be done, but bartenders are supposed to match you to your photo on their screen. 

Likewise, I don’t see how possession of someone’s medallion gives you access to any data beyond their name. Certainly not their credit card number. 

The process is supposed to be that they ask for your room, then match the picture. Early in the restart they tried just the picture, but the  result was many errors so they changed the process. Since then the errors have dropped significantly.

41 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I just had this conversation a few days ago.

My sister (nosy), Lexus (car GPS), AAA (auto insurance app for discount), and Publix (grocery store) all know that I do my weekly food shopping early on Thursday morning.  

Heck, Ben and Jerry's probably even know that I only buy their ice cream when it is BOGO, since I always pay with a credit card.. 

It is waaaay to late to worry who or what knows all about you. 

I think there’s a difference between active use of a device and passive, i.e. tracking.  It’s a choice to use a credit card rather than pay by cash.  It’s a choice to have GPS and location services activated.  But carrying around a medallion that shows your location at every moment, that seems somehow different to me

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

Medallion doesn't contain any information.

Posted (edited)

I feel very certain that @cruisinsince75 was just making a joke....

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 1

Have you ever tried to Google your name?  Google your name and the city, state that you live in?  Fine if you have a common name, but if your name is ever so slightly unique some sites will pull up your age, address, phone number, and email.  If you still work and have a LinkedIn account, your LinkedIn profile will sometimes populate as a result.  It's easy to backtrack information with the Internet.  It's easy to be nosy with just a name.  With the shipmates function your name is pretty much fair game. 

Like I've said before, people nowadays are crazy.  Sad to say, but it's come to the point where strangers to me are crazy unless proven otherwise.  I'm a restaurant partner and people have literally sued the restaurant I'm a partner at for not being handicapped accessible that aren't even handicapped.

That would require the other person to answer. The app doesn’t require the other person to be awake, alert or not otherwise indisposed. 

Not quite sure why you'd not be in a state to answer an audible ring or vibration from your phone on a ship.  Too many drinks?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Have you ever tried to Google your name?  Google your name and the city, state that you live in?  Fine if you have a common name, but if your name is ever so slightly unique some sites will pull up your age, address, phone number, and email.  If you still work and have a LinkedIn account, your LinkedIn profile will sometimes populate as a result.  It's easy to backtrack information with the Internet.  It's easy to be nosy with just a name.  With the shipmates function your name is pretty much fair game. 

Like I've said before, people nowadays are crazy.  Sad to say, but it's come to the point where strangers to me are crazy unless proven otherwise.  I'm a restaurant partner and people have literally sued the restaurant I'm a partner at for not being handicapped accessible that aren't even handicapped.

Not quite sure why you'd not be in a state to answer an audible ring or vibration from your phone on a ship.  Too many drinks?

On silent, mine is most of the time on ships.

On 6/6/2024 at 7:56 AM, Alakegirl said:

No chance of getting an old fashioned key card?  It creeps me out to be “tracked”

Are you using a computer or phone to post on cruise critic?  You're being tracked more than any medallion would onboard. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Are you using a computer or phone to post on cruise critic?  You're being tracked more than any medallion would onboard. 

I told my husband the same thing 😀. We do shut off our locators unless we need to use the phone GPS then you need this feature. Don't stress it your on vacation enjoy.

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I think there’s a difference between active use of a device and passive, i.e. tracking.  It’s a choice to use a credit card rather than pay by cash.  It’s a choice to have GPS and location services activated.  But carrying around a medallion that shows your location at every moment, that seems somehow different to me

Serious question, what happens if a medallion were to fall overboard into the ocean?  Does that institute a "Man Overboard" exercise and search?  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

Serious question, what happens if a medallion were to fall overboard into the ocean?  Does that institute a "Man Overboard" exercise and search?  

I don’t know. They just throw a tiny life ring after it, I think.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

They have a long fishing pole with a piece of metal on the end that they hope the magnet will attach to. 😂

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DCThunder said:

This was questioned when it first came out as a possible safety feature.

Can't find it now, I read something at the time, something like 20 or 30 yards of range at best. Could a person be located if wearing one? Not really.

Triggering anything just getting dropped into the sea by itself? No, go get another at Passenger Services.

Edited by mtnesterz

On 6/6/2024 at 7:56 AM, Alakegirl said:

No chance of getting an old fashioned key card?  It creeps me out to be “tracked”

Just curious... why would you care if you're tracked while on the ship?  I find it to be really handy that they can identify and find you with room service and OceanNow orders or when ordering in bars and restaurants.  We've been on several sailings with Medallions and they don't seem that creepy to me.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Do they have a code for "medallion overboard"? 🤣

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

This was questioned when it first came out as a possible safety feature.

Can't find it now, I read something at the time, something like 20 or 30 yards of range at best. Could a person be located if wearing one? Not really.

Triggering anything just getting dropped into the sea by itself? No, go get another at Passenger Services.

So it's not an EPIRB?  What a bummer...

48 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

So it's not an EPIRB?  What a bummer...

No, the other thing is we've been onboard twice when there was a man overboard. Most recently on the Emerald to Hawaii last year. The Medallion was mentioned as being left in his cabin because people asked why he couldn't be located, just by having it. The other time going over the side was deliberate and a (crew) identifier was left onboard. My point of mentioning is that one, it brings everybody down, please nobody do that, ask for help. And people have to bring whatever would transmit and in my limited experience, they don't.

11 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

I haven’t sailed with the medallion yet but I’m really looking forward to being able to find DH after he’s gone on a ship’s engine tour or some other weird event I’m not interested in so I don’t have to wait in the cabin for him to return. 

That wasn't a tour he was on.  He was sitting at the pool bar enjoying a drink of his choice while enjoying the views.

• Haha 1