Weird Document Trend - Parents Bring Birth Certificates for Kids, but just DLs for Adults

I just got my Real ID compliant license. Last time, I opted for a regular one so I wouldn't have to go to the RMV (could renew online). However, I did get a passport card that is a Real ID compliant ID (I also have a passport). 

To make matters worse, which is where the OP is trying to warn people, is that some states (not all) have an enhanced driver's license that establishes it as a national ID that is WHTI compliant. Unfortunately, people keep confusing the EDL with Real ID, thinking they are one and the same. The OP is just warning people that they are not the same and just bringing a Real ID is not sufficient to establish citizenship without a birth certificate.

Again, back to my original thought, if you are leaving the country (exception being the people that live near the borders and cross frequently with Nexus/etc) get a damn passport.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I just got my Real ID compliant license. Last time, I opted for a regular one so I wouldn't have to go to the RMV (could renew online). However

I can’t wait until Real ID goes into effect and people who decided not to go to the DMV or pay an extra fee arrive at an airport and are not allowed to fly. In my last two states US citizens have to get Real ID but many states it is not mandatory. (kind of bizarre too that if you have Real ID in one state and move you have to provide proof again) There might be chaos or the TSA might have to allow those people on the planes anyway. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

As a non American I am curious why do you have different forms of motor vehicle driver's licence? What purpose does it serve? 

Mostly to confuse things, it seems to me. My husband and I are intelligent enough and we THOUGHT our state had the EDL. When I was buying TSA Pre check we hit the wrong button. That is how we found out we don’t yet. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I can’t wait until Real ID goes into effect and people who decided not to go to the DMV or pay an extra fee arrive at an airport and are not allowed to fly. In my last two states US citizens have to get Real ID but many states it is not mandatory. (kind of bizarre too that if you have Real ID in one state and move you have to provide proof again) There might be chaos or the TSA might have to allow those people on the planes anyway. 

Of course, if you have a passport your RealID issue is solved. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, zqvol said:

It would be solved if passports were required but they are not required. We have to live with reality that you can cruise with a birth certificate on most closed loop cruises. If passports were required on all cruises we would be arguing about 6 months left and people here would be spreading FUD about that. 

59 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Right, when I renewed my driver's license, I was asked did I want the new real ID. I asked if I really needed it if I had a passport that at that time still had 9 years left on it. I was told not, and saw no reason to pay anything extra for it. 

I tried to get a ReadID. I went to the DMV and filled out all the paperwork but decided to go to my hairdresser appointment before getting my picture taken. I came back later and even checked "this photo will be connected to this paperwork, right?" and was assured it would.

But it didn't and I didn't realize it until I never got a new license and mine expired. I just got a regular one this time since I didn't feel like finding all the paperwork they require in my state. I have a passport anyway. I'll try again when my DL expires.

Edited by MacMadame

42 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I only bothered with real id because it was the same cost as a regular drivers license. I still used my passport card to board a flight yesterday.

Both the state I used to live in Maryland and the one I live in now Texas don’t charge more. In both states they only issue US citizens Real ID. I didn’t get a passport card last time I renewed my passport because it costs more. There really is no point to it since I have the book. 

3 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I only bothered with real id because it was the same cost as a regular drivers license. I still used my passport card to board a flight yesterday.

I didn't get the Real ID either when I renewed.  Main reason is covid reg's saying seniors didn't have to physically appear at DMV were still in effect (they probably forgot).   So I had the option of going to DMV and taking a test or simply renewing online.  Can't get Real ID with an online renewal.     

On 6/25/2024 at 8:09 AM, Charles4515 said:

You are exaggerating. You and some others just hate that there is an exception to having a passport. The CBP and cruise line have personal and procedures in place or they would never allow the birth certificate as a valid document. They are prepared for that and of course they make it happen. 

The cruise line "procedure" is to recommend a passport.  This is how you obtain a passport out of the country

Lost Passport overseas screenshot.PNG

Edited by Elaine5715

On 6/25/2024 at 7:57 PM, MacMadame said:

I was just typing that! They definitely didn't get an exception in a few hours though I think their case was complicated by also not having insurance and the hospital wanting payment. Definitely an example of pennywise, pound foolish!

No one gets an exception in a few hours

17 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The cruise line "procedure" is to recommend a passport.  This is how you obtain a passport out of the country

Lost Passport overseas screenshot.PNG

That is if your passport is lost or stolen. Again there are procedures to waive a passport if someone has an emergency traveling on a birth certificate. When they allowed it they knew there could be emergencies. The key thing is the passengers are on a closed loop cruise and left from the US and are returning to the US. Closed loop get it. 

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

That is if your passport is lost or stolen. Again there are procedures to waive a passport if someone has an emergency traveling on a birth certificate. When they allowed it they knew there could be emergencies. The key thing is the passengers are on a closed loop cruise and left from the US and are returning to the US. Closed loop get it. 

BruceMuzz

I have managed cruise ships for over 3 decades.

Obviously I never have any problems with a passport - but many of my passengers do.

Since so many Americans cannot or will not afford a passport, we often have problems when sailing out of a US Port, where American passengers without passports either miss the ship, or have personal or health problems that will not allow them to rejoin the ship.

I long ago lost count of the number of my American passengers who got stuck in out of the way places without a passport. A few of them got very lucky and were able to get emergency documents from the US Government in a very short time (less than one week). Most of them waited for a few weeks to get the required documents that allowed them to fly home.

A few waited for very long periods, and had to fly family members down to assist them. This all gets very expensive - much more costly than the price of a passport.

A few years ago, we disembarked 2 elderly ladies with medical problems in Western Mexico. One died while waiting for help from the USA. The other spent several months in a Mexican hospital while waiting for assistance. These are obviously extreme cases - but they do happen.

As was mentioned earlier, the day of the week and time of day have much to do with success dealing with US Authorities. The country and port are also critical in how well things will go for you.

US Government Consular and Embassy employees do not work evenings or weekends. If you have a serious problem during those periods - good luck.

US Consular and Embassy employees very rarely travel to help you out. If you are an American in a hospital in Puerto Vallarta for example, you will need to arrange to travel to Mexico City to sort out your problems with the US Embassy. That can be difficult, expensive, and time consuming.

If you happen to get stuck on one of the many small island countries in the Caribbean, there may not even be a US Consulate or Embassy in that country. Then you need to do everything over expensive telephone calls to another country, and possibly wait forever for documents to arrive.

If you do have a passport and leave it on the ship, you need not worry.

Most countries today require the ship to offload the passports of any passengers who do not make it back to the ship for any reason. As soon as we know or suspect that you are not returning, Security visits your cabin to search for your passports. The passports are passed over to the agent, who is then legally responsible for you until local authorities issue a temporary visa for your stay there. If we do not find passports in your cabin, you are on your own. As soon as the ship departs, you are illegally in that particular country and must sort out things with the local officials.

Do you need a passport to travel internationally? Nearly all countries think that you do.

But you can still get away without one if you are American, travelling from the USA to visit the Caribbean - and you do not plan to have any surprises or accidents.

So if you are feeling lucky and have plenty of money laying around in case luck is not on your side, take a chance.

Edited by Elaine5715

6 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

BruceMuzz

I have managed cruise ships for over 3 decades.

Obviously I never have any problems with a passport - but many of my passengers do.

Since so many Americans cannot or will not afford a passport, we often have problems when sailing out of a US Port, where American passengers without passports either miss the ship, or have personal or health problems that will not allow them to rejoin the ship.

I long ago lost count of the number of my American passengers who got stuck in out of the way places without a passport. A few of them got very lucky and were able to get emergency documents from the US Government in a very short time (less than one week). Most of them waited for a few weeks to get the required documents that allowed them to fly home.

A few waited for very long periods, and had to fly family members down to assist them. This all gets very expensive - much more costly than the price of a passport.

A few years ago, we disembarked 2 elderly ladies with medical problems in Western Mexico. One died while waiting for help from the USA. The other spent several months in a Mexican hospital while waiting for assistance. These are obviously extreme cases - but they do happen.

As was mentioned earlier, the day of the week and time of day have much to do with success dealing with US Authorities. The country and port are also critical in how well things will go for you.

US Government Consular and Embassy employees do not work evenings or weekends. If you have a serious problem during those periods - good luck.

US Consular and Embassy employees very rarely travel to help you out. If you are an American in a hospital in Puerto Vallarta for example, you will need to arrange to travel to Mexico City to sort out your problems with the US Embassy. That can be difficult, expensive, and time consuming.

If you happen to get stuck on one of the many small island countries in the Caribbean, there may not even be a US Consulate or Embassy in that country. Then you need to do everything over expensive telephone calls to another country, and possibly wait forever for documents to arrive.

If you do have a passport and leave it on the ship, you need not worry.

Most countries today require the ship to offload the passports of any passengers who do not make it back to the ship for any reason. As soon as we know or suspect that you are not returning, Security visits your cabin to search for your passports. The passports are passed over to the agent, who is then legally responsible for you until local authorities issue a temporary visa for your stay there. If we do not find passports in your cabin, you are on your own. As soon as the ship departs, you are illegally in that particular country and must sort out things with the local officials.

Do you need a passport to travel internationally? Nearly all countries think that you do.

But you can still get away without one if you are American, travelling from the USA to visit the Caribbean - and you do not plan to have any surprises or accidents.

So if you are feeling lucky and have plenty of money laying around in case luck is not on your side, take a chance.

This poster is so obviously opposed to passengers traveling without a passport that it taints his advice and credibility. Whether anyone likes it or not US citizens can travel without a passport and if something goes wrong they will get home, very likely with less delay then you or others are willing to accept. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Well, if it is on the internet...

And yet if a story was posted that supported your view you would accept it without question. The reports have come from people without an are to grind.

On 6/24/2024 at 8:18 AM, Keksie said:

To all the people choosing not to get passports.  That is your choice however, don't come on here to cry when something goes wrong.  Don't blame the cruise company for not letting you on.  Don't cry to the national news media how poorly you were treated, how you were abandoned in a foreign port and couldn't catch a plane back home immediately.  Just suck it up a realize that maybe you should have gone ahead and gotten that passport.

I think I’ve read only a couple of reports here of having issues because of not having a passport, but no complaining or crying. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s rare, and if/when it happens, folks just get it straightened out. I don’t remember getting passports for our first cruise, 3 nights out of Florida to the Bahamas, saved about $1000.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I think I’ve read only a couple of reports here of having issues because of not having a passport, but no complaining or crying. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s rare, and if/when it happens, folks just get it straightened out. I don’t remember getting passports for our first cruise, 3 nights out of Florida to the Bahamas, saved about $1000.

You saved $1000 by not having a passport? Please explain.

I trust everyone has the US State Dept contact numbers on their phones just in case of emergencies -- whether you have a passport or use a BC/ID.

Edited by ldubs

19 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I trust everyone has the US State Dept contact numbers on their phones just in case of emergencies -- whether you have a passport or use a BC/ID.

15 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Also the number of the port agent. 

AND the numbers of emergency services wherever we'll be, whether on land during a cruise, or as we take an entirely land trip.  "911" isn't necessarily what one wants when not in the USA.

GC

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

AND the numbers of emergency services wherever we'll be, whether on land during a cruise, or as we take an entirely land trip.  "911" isn't necessarily what one wants when not in the USA.

GC

On my iPhone if I hold down the left side button and the right side button at the same time it will give me the option of an emergency SOS call. The phone figures out which emergency number to call from my location.

My phone can also connect to a satellite for an emergency call if there is no cell service. iPhone 14 or later can do that. Sweet.