Room Service

5onadime

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

Ok we got the tipping out of the way. I've heard that there is now a charge for room service if you don't have the Plus and the Premier package. Is this true?

Yes.  $14.99 for the first order then it's free for the rest of the cruise. 

And an extra $5 if you place your order by phone.  Not if you use the app.

Edited by paddingtonbear
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

Ok we got the tipping out of the way. I've heard that there is now a charge for room service if you don't have the Plus and the Premier package. Is this true?

There are a couple of charges.  

1.  $14.99 on time activation fee to use Ocean Now (room service menu).

2.  $5 delivery charge each time you use the phone to CALL room service.

3.  Some menu items from room service come with an additional charge (not free).

Edit.  We were typing #1 at the same time. haha. I was slowed by 2 and 3.  And editing at the same time. lol

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2024 at 7:46 PM, 5onadime said:

Our package includes room service.... but I feel like I should still tip?

Any guidance on how much if dinner is brought for 2 people.  5, 10, 20?

( I did try to search because I am certain there must be a thread that already exists.  A hint on what magic word to search would also be helpful 🙂 )

Please dont

On 7/17/2024 at 5:27 AM, BlerkOne said:

It is customary to tip for room service. That gratuity is not included in any of the pre-pay crew appreciation options.

In a hotel in the states maybe.

You're on a ship, with prepaid grats...and other cultures who dont tip.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 5:27 AM, BlerkOne said:

It is customary to tip for room service. That gratuity is not included in any of the pre-pay crew appreciation options.

Yes it is. All front of house service staff.

The pooled funds are distributed throughout the year in the form of compensation, including bonuses, to crewmembers fleetwide who interact directly with guests and/or behind the scenes throughout every cruise, including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas.

https://www.princess.com/html/global/disclaimers/crew-appreciation/#:~:text=The pooled funds are distributed,Services%2C Galley and Onboard Revenue

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eaglecw said:

Yes $5 per call. Does not apply to breakfast door hanger order

9 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

Yes.  $14.99 for the first order then it's free for the rest of the cruise. 

And an extra $5 if you place your order by phone.  Not if you use the app.

So if I call room service to exchange my Elite Mini Bar setup for something else I have to pay $14.99?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

So if I call room service to exchange my Elite Mini Bar setup for something else I have to pay $14.99?

No that is a free service but if you call and order a sandwich you will get charged $5

Edited by memoak

6 hours ago, LittleTinker said:

In a hotel in the states maybe.

You're on a ship, with prepaid grats...and other cultures who dont tip.

Some cultures don't wear clothes.

26 minutes ago, memoak said:

Then what is the $17 that you referred to having possible service charges 

Someone said $17 was all they would pay in gratuities. There isn't a service charge on that. There are service charges on bars and other optional services if you don't have some sort of package that covers.

On 7/17/2024 at 3:35 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

From that...I came to the following (flawed???) conclusion.  Princess "must" provide a banking system on the ship.  I can't imagine allowing the crew to stash thousands of dollars per contract in their cabin. 

On Grand & Coral* class ships, there's an ATM machine in crew quarters area. Yes, I used it on the Diamond Princess in 2019 when I took $450 worth of ¥ out of a 7-11 ATM in Aomori instead of $45. GS couldn't exchange so they directed me to the other ATM. 6% conversion fee but I didn't have a choice. Had to get it back into my account or autopays would've bounced. No idea about Royal Class ships 

* Coral Class = Coral & Island

On 7/17/2024 at 6:35 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

From that...I came to the following (flawed???) conclusion.  Princess "must" provide a banking system on the ship.  I can't imagine allowing the crew to stash thousands of dollars per contract in their cabin. 

that would certainly be an interesting read as to where the $20 bribe we give our cabin steward physically goes ...

10 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Should I tip the room service person if he/she shows up naked?  

Should he/she stay or should he/she go?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I plan to order afternoon tea in our room on our cruise and want just the scones and  cookies and some coffee and I would like it for ourselves and our travel mates. Is this doable? We are in a suite, but our travel mates are not. Will that make a difference. We also have the package so can we also get wine in the room with this, our travel mates also have the package-premiere.

Posted (edited)

@Shaver John elite / suite complimentary room service tea comes with enough to feed 4-6 IMHO. It seems to be a standard delivery unless you stress to not send so much. You will only get 2 cups unless you ask for 4. But I wouldn't request for 4. Here's my pics on what service for 1 looks like:

20230709_104707.thumb.jpg.4f3095d69eca0fc0b9bfe3ccc5274239.jpg

JMHO the June 30, 2022 service is all 1 person needs. I got a dz (yes 12) scones plus above on my May 2023 cruise and when I insisted for just 1 person (turning a few trays away):

20231207_202431~2.jpg

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

We always tip $5 to whomever brings our room service order. Note: we never order a ton of stuff, nor anything complicated, just continental breakfast or maybe a cheese plate in the afternoons.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2024 at 6:42 AM, Eaglecw said:

Yes, but you can pay a onetime $15 fee to access ordering via the app, if you call it in, everyone pays. 

On 7/22/2024 at 2:48 AM, antsp said:

Yes, but you can pay a onetime $15 fee to access ordering via the app, if you call it in, everyone pays. 

Incorrect. If one is booked with the Plus or Premier package calling Room Service on the phone is included with no extra charge.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Incorrect. If one is booked with the Plus or Premier package calling Room Service on the phone is included with no extra charge.

Don't think that's correct 

On 7/17/2024 at 11:33 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

The OP asked a simple question with their intention of tipping.  I think the question has been answered.  Tipping is a very personal option.  All this extra "trying to justify" is irrelevant.  

I tip for room service.  I pool a bunch of singles and a few fives together in an easy to access location so I am not fumbling as I try to answer/open the door.  I also always have individually wrapped candy bites/minis (Snickers seem to be a favorite).  They gingerly take one before I tell them they can have as many as they like. (Thanks to another poster for this idea.  I think it was @Ombud).

This is just me.  Whatever kindness you share is greatly appreciated by the crew.  Even a "Thank You" goes a long way.

we have ours in the drawer right next to the door or under a magnet next to the door because they are so polite they dont even remotely pause for a tip and we have missed several people by not being prepared. 

• Like 2