How old were you when...

Orcrone

How old were you when you went on your first cruise?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when you went on your first cruise?

• 0 - 9
    • 10 - 19
    • 20 - 29
    • 30 - 39
    • 40 - 49
    • 50 - 59
    • 60 - 69
    • 70 - 79
    • 80 - 89

I responded based on actually cruising versus taking a ship as a mode of transportation. My first experience on a ship was in the early 50's sailing to England on the United States. Not exactly a cruise so I went with my "trial" Fantasy cruise in '93.

I was six years old and did a crossing on the Queen Mary.

Steve Hayes

How old were you when you went on your first cruise. I was 29 (just 3 months short of my 30th birthday, and it was RCCL's Song of America.

I was 48 and had to be gently persuaded to even consider a cruise. It exceeded my expectations and I came home and couldn't wait to book another one.

Roz

I was 20 years old and sailed to and from Europe, spending the summer studying in France. The eastward trip was on the Italian Line Aurelia. The trip home was on the Holland America Line Groote Beer. The ship carried mostly students returning from Europe and a handful of adult chaperones. It was a madhouse, but I loved being at sea. My next cruise was thirty-three years later, once again on HAL, this time on MS Statendam. Discovered I still loved being at sea and have added 8 more cruises since then.

:)

Does owning your own cabin cruiser count as a cruise?

My dictionary defines "cruise" as "to sail from place to place, as for pleasure or in search of something." Thus, it depends on whether you used your cabin cruiser for its intended purpose or just paid the slip rent. I'd say 90% of them just sit in the marina waiting to go to sea someday . . .

No huge ship owned by a big company is necessary. I've had lots of fine cruises in a 24 foot sailboat.

I was 4 (just about to turn 5). HORIZON February 1993, Southern Caribbean from San Juan. Martinique, Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Thomas - I think in that order. I'll have to pull out my brochure now to make sure I got it right.

If going on a small boat counts as a cruise I was probably a couple of months old when I went on my first one, but I'd be inclined to say that it doesn't count, personally.

I was 4 (just about to turn 5). HORIZON February 1993, Southern Caribbean from San Juan. Martinique, Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Thomas - I think in that order. I'll have to pull out my brochure now to make sure I got it right.

Awk!!!:eek: Doug!! You were 4 in '93???!!! I'm going to kill myself.

Now that I've recovered, I was 17 when I went on my first cruise on the Queen of Bermuda, a ship I've mentioned before and it's so long ago nobody ever heard of her:) . Anyway, it was a high school graduation gift from my grandmother and we went together. One of the all time high points of my life.

Archived