Wow.. 100. Degrees Florence... Is this normal?

luv2gonow

Hi,

I'm doing a land/ sea tour in 2 wks.

I knew it was hot in Italy but didn't realizE

It was that hot.

I have been noticing Florence has been a lot of 100 degree

Days.... Is that normal or a heatwave now?

Thanks

Kerri

It was like that when we were there 5 years ago. Bring a Sunhat and wear it no matter how it looks. The outdoor cafes have fans that spray water. Gelato is delicious. Don't do too much, pace yourself. That's why they have siestas

July 4 2010 was an awful heatwave. We were in Venice and it was in the 100s and dropped to around 98 close to midnight. When we got to Florence it was in the mid 90s there. It was really tough in Pompeii with no shade that vacation. It gets hot in the Med in the summer, but a heatwave really kicks it up.

Thanks everyone.... I'm hoping this heatwave breaks!!!

I was expecting hot no shade in Pompeii.... But hoping temps drop

To an unseasonable cool!!:-)

Was debating on a hat... Or umbrella to block sun??

Does anyone do umbrellas?

Thanks

Kerri

I have to say that when I have been in Rome,Florence,etc. in that part of Otaly I have yet to find it not hot so do be prepared...really.Temps may drop a tad,but it will be hot! Sun hat is a big yes,sun screen and people do use umbrellas at times...not dorky in the glaring sun.

Hi,

I'm doing a land/ sea tour in 2 wks.

I knew it was hot in Italy but didn't realizE

It was that hot.

I have been noticing Florence has been a lot of 100 degree

Days.... Is that normal or a heatwave now?

Thanks

Kerri

:eek:

Extreme weather across the globe.. we are having effect :(

Thanks

Kerri

Yes to umbrellas! Protect yourself from the elements, whether rain or sun.

We bought lightweight retractable ones and used them in August in Greece and it made a huge difference. People were giving us longing looks... sad "Why didn't we think of this!" looks. The only other people we saw using them were the Japanese (and more people since then). Smart people.:) I don't suppose they have as much skin cancer.

Edited by Adventures ahead

Thanks

Kerri

Was very glad I had my small umbrella in Pompeii--no shade anywhere there!

Just returned from a land visit to France……. Paris was normal and then BAM we had 98 degrees in Avignon……. It was hot !!! Then down to Nice and while still hot it was not as hot……… and of course there was the beautiful Med to swim in!

We always have traveled to Europe in early spring or late late fall…… I'm not sure I will venture there in summer again after my recent visit !!!!!! Fun, just to as much fun when you are that hot…...

Yes, June, July and August are baking hot. It's summer ..... Bring sunscreen, water and umbrellas (for the sun.) and be prepared for excessive temperatures. Makes sight seeing uncomfortable. May and mid/late September are better for walking about and seeing the sights plus the children are in school so fewer crowds.

Just returned from a land visit to France……. Paris was normal and then BAM we had 98 degrees in Avignon……. It was hot !!! Then down to Nice and while still hot it was not as hot……… and of course there was the beautiful Med to swim in!

We always have traveled to Europe in early spring or late late fall…… I'm not sure I will venture there in summer again after my recent visit !!!!!! Fun, just to as much fun when you are that hot…...

You have more fortitude than I do!!

It's very hot in the summer where I live (Atlanta). That's when I stay inside and do the planning and research for my next trip(s). :D

Yes to umbrellas! Protect yourself from the elements, whether rain or sun.

We bought lightweight retractable ones and used them in August in Greece and it made a huge difference. People were giving us longing looks... sad "Why didn't we think of this!" looks. The only other people we saw using them were the Japanese (and more people since then). Smart people.:) I don't suppose they have as much skin cancer.

Thanks for this! Just bought a travel umbrella!

Avoid the sun in Pompeii and go to SHADY Herulaneum instead!! Easy DIY train ride to Ercolano Scavi station for a few EURO and an easy downhill walk.

It is also an UNESCO world heritage site and it was also destroyed by the same eruption as Pompeii. The villas are all well preserved as are the frescoes and mosaics. You really can't go wrong by visiting this shady, less crowded treasure!

The average daytime temperature is about the same as Miami, but Italian weather is more variable than Floridian. 100 degrees is fairly normal - it doesn't happen every year, but it's not freak conditions. The record is 108, set in 1983.

July 4 2010 was an awful heatwave. We were in Venice and it was in the 100s and dropped to around 98 close to midnight. When we got to Florence it was in the mid 90s there. It was really tough in Pompeii with no shade that vacation. It gets hot in the Med in the summer, but a heatwave really kicks it up.

Len, I remember the heat wave...it was a real barn burner as they say.:D

You have more fortitude than I do!!

It's very hot in the summer where I live (Atlanta). That's when I stay inside and do the planning and research for my next trip(s). :D

Yep, I am in South Texas……. 98 or more is normal for us here…. but we are on the coast so usually have a nice sea breeze which helps. We found some breeze in Avignon and some of the villages we went to nearby but not consistently. Then down to Cote D'Azur via Cannes to Nice. More breeze there except in St. Paul de Vence…… After all the travels in Europe I finally swam in the Mediterranean though and it was nice !!!!!

Italy is always hot in the summer and unless you need to travel during school breaks, there is really no good reason to travel anywhere during the summer! Luckily I live in a wonderful summer climate and enjoy my staycations while planning my travels for the rest of the year. Hawaii is about the only place that could possibly temp me in the summer.

Italy is always hot in the summer and unless you need to travel during school breaks, there is really no good reason to travel anywhere during the summer!

No good reason unless you happen to turn 50 on July 31st and are checking off "Awesome Med Cruise" on your bucket list! :D Lucky me!

Thanks everyone for your input! We already purchased a couple of those cooling towels ("frogg toggs") and will be buying lightweight retractable umbrellas.

Susan