room stewards

whimbly

Other than that we don't really ask much more of our stewards. I am happy to have my room tidied up, the bathroom attended to, and to have ice in the refrigerator. We don't need much in the way of pampering and the stewards seem to have plenty of work without having us add to it further.

I'm sure others have received further services but we've never really asked for more.

so i know room stewards will clean and put ice in your fridge. what else will they do or have you gotten them to do for you. just kinda of curious. thanks

Extra towels, extra pillows, egg crate for bed, top sheet if you want one, etc. What do you want then to do for you?

so i know room stewards will clean and put ice in your fridge. what else will they do or have you gotten them to do for you. just kinda of curious. thanks

I bring a very small cooler and ask that it be filled with ice daily.

Reader

Room Stewards do what they are supposed to do, and as they were trained to do. What jobs do you wish them to perform that are not already done?

They are able to get you an extension cord and distilled water for a CPAP. When we've needed a pair of scissors they've been able to lend us a pair. We've occasionally asked for extra bars of soap or an extra lotion. They have a large numbers of cabins to get done each day so it's best to let them do what they know they need to do.

Is there something in particular you're thinking about asking of them?

In addition to the usual cleaning, they deliver notices & excursion tickets, take away room service dishes, pick up and deliver laundry & dry cleaning. We also had one who fixed an non-functioning TV, and one who had a 'polite word' with next door neighbors who had 2 teenagers who constantly screamed, jumped up & down on the beds and sofa & slammed doors.

Ours specialized in saying "No." No to a blanket, no to a mattress topper (said we should have requested in advance, which we had done!), and no to a footstool for the balcony (said only available in suites, which we knew wasn't true).

Our dining table mate said she asked for towel animals because she'd had them on her previous cruise! Mind you, this was a 70+ year old lady! She would come to dinner each night and show pictures of her animals. i thought maybe she should cruise Disney.:-)

nothing more then they do, we never asked for anything but just heard other passengers talking about what they do for them. so i was just wondering what kind of stuff they are asked to do by cruisers.

We often travel with friends, and have a wine get-together in one of our cabins each night before dinner. Because of this, we request our steward to have clean wine glasses each afternoon (usually 4 or 6 glasses). That and ice each morning for use in the afternoon.

As long as I have ice I'm happy.

Ours specialized in saying "No." No to a blanket' date=' no to a mattress topper (said we should have requested in advance, which we had done!), and no to a footstool for the balcony (said only available in suites, which we knew wasn't true).

[/quote']

Sounds like the room steward we had last year.

We had a mini suite and I was elected to sleep on the pull out sofa. He didn't put the topper over the 2" mattress. You could feel the slats underneath. He wasn't too happy about the midnight call he received to put the topper on. At first he said that he would have to talk to his supervisor about it. Then he said he had to leave the sofa open all week if he puts the topper on. I said I didn't care. He oh so graciously remade the sofa every morning. But every night after turn down, I had to play "Guess where the sofa bed comforter is?".:mad::mad:

He was the worst room steward in over 40 cruises.

We've decided to buy our own topper for the next cruise--a rather middle range price wise. If I can repack it to go home, great. If I can't get it smashed into the suitcase, not a great loss. Can't depend on Princess to supply it, so.....

Of course, I've learned since then that if the steward says no, I should escalate the request to the front desk.

Just to leave a top sheet on the bed and ice 2x a day.

Ours found a button for the waistband of DH's shorts after the ship's laundry did its thing and ate it. But, in general, we generally ask for less service, not more (i.e. no ice, no decorative pillows and covers and no tucked sheets.

"no tucked sheets" - I hate having my sheets tucked in as I ALWAYS end up pulling them out every night. Not a biggie but sometimes when I've fallen asleep watching tv or reading, I have to get up and pull them out later. Only once did a steward take notice that I was always pulling them out each evening and never bothered to tuck them again. I loved him for that. It was such a considerate act, IMHO. I just wish that all of them would take the cue and leave them out when they see them consistently being pulled out. It's the little things that makes the biggest smiles.

Extra towels, extra pillows, egg crate for bed, top sheet if you want one, etc. What do you want then to do for you?

What is "egg crate for bed" and what is meant by a "top sheet"? At home I am used to comforters and when travelling, I just put up with anything on hotel beds. I also find the tucked sheets uncomfortable, but always just pull them out.

Thanks for enlightening me. I feel like an idiot, since the "egg crates" come up in the cruise forum conversations quite often.

On the first day when the steward comes to introduce him or herself, I also ask for 2 wine glasses to be in the room each day and tell them to forget about filling the ice bucket.

I've found that asking for nothing gets you special treatment sometimes. I once had a room steward clean the sand from my thongs which I'd left out on the deck. He had the same idea as me - no sand in the carpet! I also had one who brought me a large ice bucket every day to soak a swollen injured foot. I didn't ask for it, but boy was I grateful.

What is "egg crate for bed" and what is meant by a "top sheet"? At home I am used to comforters and when travelling, I just put up with anything on hotel beds. I also find the tucked sheets uncomfortable, but always just pull them out.

Thanks for enlightening me. I feel like an idiot, since the "egg crates" come up in the cruise forum conversations quite often.

"egg crate for bed"> Foam mattress topper to make your bed more comfortable

"Top Sheet"> Flat not fitted sheet, that is between you and the comforter.

No need to feel like an idiot ,how would you know if you do not ask! :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

On the first day when the steward comes to introduce him or herself, I also ask for 2 wine glasses to be in the room each day and tell them to forget about filling the ice bucket.

I've found that asking for nothing gets you special treatment sometimes. I once had a room steward clean the sand from my thongs which I'd left out on the deck. He had the same idea as me - no sand in the carpet! I also had one who brought me a large ice bucket every day to soak a swollen injured foot. I didn't ask for it, but boy was I grateful.

I know right......some times the less you ask for the more they want to do for you:) We are easy going, layed back people, and almost always love our cabins stewards. We do whatever we can to not make their job harder.

Reader