Should dress codes disappear?

This is always a debated topic.

What with shifting age demographics, multi-cultural cruisers (with different types of wardrobes) and other considerations, do you think that dress codes should be done away with?

Let's take a poll!

That's my opinion. What's yours??

My opinion is to start a real "Poll". Much easier to see the results in one location without having to crawl through all the responses.

My response is: NO, 70s

Edited by Scotty G
clarify

No, 40s. I like it the way it is.

However, if they decide to allow shorts in the MDR then they should specify that the shorts must not be sports shorts but the "dressy" type with a belt loop, etc. Otherwise I feel you will end up with sports shorts and the like with no way to differentiate what is allowed.

It's a slippery slope once you start relaxing it and some will push the limits to the extreme, unfortunately.

Absolutely not! It's one of the things that make cruising special. We don't normally dress up at home but on cruises, it is nice to see everybody looking so nice. If they do, let's do it all the way, eliminate the fancy tables and settings, let the crew dress as they please and change the dining options to what you would get at a wedding reception at the local VFW hall. Let's also have at least one night where bathrobes aren't allowed.

YES to a point. 60's

Smart Casual every day is enough. No tee shirts, dress shorts acceptable, no swim wear.

Perhaps a compromise, 1 free restaurant for casual, 1 for higher dress.

Also feel feel that extra pay restaurants could add a higher dress code to entice those who want to dress up to the max.

either way for me, doesn't bother me /30's

but i dont think anyone has the right to tell anyone how they should or should not dress unless they are paying for that persons cruise.

i have never been on a cruise and can't remember one time looking around in the MDR saying what is that person wearing or even someones attire affecting my vacation. i think if someone in shorts on the other side of the dining room affects your meal you might other problems...

its funny some posts say i enjoy dressing up, cant you respect someone elses wishes to enjoy going casual? and not sure why it is acceptable to dress how ever in the windjammer but the MDR is different, does 8 floors make that big of a difference lol..

Edited by Aintnofun007

I would prefer to see the opposite happen in fact. On many lines people dress for these beautiful venue's, exquisite service and tasty food, dressed as if they had just cleaned out their garage!

A cruise is supposed to help us journey away from routine, not affirm and remind us of our "reality". Perhaps, we can deglamourize further and drink beer out of cans or replace current entrées with a selection of Bratwursts and Nacho's.

Oops, that was quite a tirade. I personally don't get the opportunity often to really dress up and hate idea of taking cruising even further into the mundane and class separation than has already happened.

<<< Hushing up now😯

YES!! 30s. I refuse to wear formal wear, and I still eat in the MDR on formal night. Yes, I'm *that* person (but I'm dressed smart casual). It's a silly old school tradition that should be eliminated. Clearly, no one should eat in their PJs or bathing suits, but there's no need to wear a ball gown either.

YES to a point. 60's

Smart Casual every day is enough. No tee shirts, dress shorts acceptable, no swim wear.

Also feel feel that extra pay restaurants could add a higher dress code to entice those who want to dress up to the max.

70's and agree.........we still "dress up" on formal nights, but to me, that's a blazer, dress shirt and tie over Khaki's. I quit w/ the tuxes long ago.;) I have no problem sitting across the table from the couple in the tux and evening gown, nor does it bother me to sit across the table from smart casual.:D

No, No, No. Too many people dressing down as it is. Losing the suits for the guys I can understand, but is it really that hard to throw on a pair of khakis and a polo? The MDs and specialty restaurants are not casual eateries. If you can't be bothered to at least try a tiny bit then eat at the buffet.

YES to a point. 60's

But why in an industry where more and more is available only with a surcharge should I need to pay a fee to be in what for more than 100 year's has been accepted attire? I like your separate restaurant idea, but isn't that in place now?

Sigh, I want to go so badly I think I'd wear a gunny sack and moon boots! .

No, 60s. I will be in shorts most of the time on a cruise. It doesn't bother me to spruce up a little bit on a cruise ;). However, the MDR has seemed to be a little to

"busy", noisy, hurried, etc. to be considered a upscale restaurant so it's hard to say that it is a fine dining atmosphere. :roll eyes: JMO.

40´s, no, but only if the cruiseline is willing to enforce it. While I would like to see a continued Dress code myself, I can live with a relaxed one. However there shouldn´t be any Dress code that the cruiseline is not willing to enforce.

If they have a formal night - enforce it!

If there´s a no Shorts rule - enforce it!

If you are not willing to enforce it - get rid of it!

No, 50's and there has to be some minimum. If you notice, most saying yes, are also stating some kind of standard which means they really mean No. Even the OP's opinion goes against the question they asked. The question OP asks means that a "yes" answer would be wear anything and everything or nothing at all lol. The answer OP gave has it's own minimums even though they said dress codes should disappear.

Edited by BND

No 70's, I feel a dressy night should remain. It really makes for a lovely family photo. DH & I dress up however we go back to our room afterwards and change into something more comfortable. We aren't able to cruise often and are casual at home 24/7 so we look forward to the dressier evenings.

No, 70's The code is quite liberal anyway. Long dresses and tuxs are nice to see but not necessary. Cocktail dress or fancy top for ladies and shirt and tie and jacket for men is all that is asked now. I agree about the family photo. Even my DD, SIL and GD had photos done on Disney and they are a wonderful keepsake and reminder of a great holiday.

YES!! 30s. I refuse to wear formal wear, and I still eat in the MDR on formal night. Yes, I'm *that* person (but I'm dressed smart casual). It's a silly old school tradition that should be eliminated. Clearly, no one should eat in their PJs or bathing suits, but there's no need to wear a ball gown either.

In being devil's advocate, why should/would Smart Casual hold place as new standard? Why not my terry cloth bathrobe in dining rooms?

Situation is moot anyhow. The lines (:pun intended) are being drawn. The demographic preferring casual is dominated by Carnival & NCL the traditionalists are Celebrity, Princess,HAL. Because class/money are commonly equated Seabourn, Cunard wait in victory while other lines decipher how to market.

Microcosm of life: the Wealthy vs. Working Classes and an ever shrinking Middle Class.

40´s, no, but only if the cruiseline is willing to enforce it. While I would like to see a continued Dress code myself, I can live with a relaxed one. However there shouldn´t be any Dress code that the cruiseline is not willing to enforce.

If they have a formal night - enforce it!

If there´s a no Shorts rule - enforce it!

If you are not willing to enforce it - get rid of it!

Yeah, What he said!!!