Why can't I fly into Hobby Lobby airport in Texas?

thehams

My FI (husband at the time of the cruise ;) will be taking a cruise out of Galveston, TX. When looking for flights it looks like the only aiport we can fly into is Houston, but I see there is a closer airport, Hobby Lobby.

Any idea why we can't fly to Hobby Lobby? Where did you fly into for your Galveston cruise?

Where are you flying from?

I believe it is just HOBBY - HOU

Isn't Hobby Lobby a craft store??

AA flies from LAX to HOU via DFW

Delta is via ATL

Edited by LHT28

My FI (husband at the time of the cruise ;) will be taking a cruise out of Galveston, TX. When looking for flights it looks like the only aiport we can fly into is Houston, but I see there is a closer airport, Hobby Lobby.

Any idea why we can't fly to Hobby Lobby? Where did you fly into for your Galveston cruise?

Hobby Lobby is a craft store. The smaller airport in Houston is William P. Hobby Airport (he was a former governor of Texas)! Hobby (HOU) is the older, smaller airport and is mostly used by Southwest Airline, although other airlines also have a few flights there. The "big" airport is George H.W. Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH). Yes, Hobby is much closer to Galveston since it's on the southeast side of town. Bush is on the far north side of town. Hobby is about 40ish miles from Galveston. Bush is more like 70ish. Check for flights from both airports.

Until this year, airlines were restricted on their ability to fly into Hobby or Dallas Love fields due to a sweetheart law put into place to help IAH and DFW airports. Flights could only be to/from adjacent states. Now, that the law has expired, airlines are starting to put routing in place for those airports. WN, AA, DL, B6 and FL fly to/from HOU. Best to look at itasoftware.com to find just what flies from your nearest airport to HOU.

Until this year, airlines were restricted on their ability to fly into Hobby or Dallas Love fields due to a sweetheart law put into place to help IAH and DFW airports. Flights could only be to/from adjacent states. Now, that the law has expired, airlines are starting to put routing in place for those airports. WN, AA, DL, B6 and FL fly to/from HOU. Best to look at itasoftware.com to find just what flies from your nearest airport to HOU.

I was unaware the Wright amendment included Hobby. I have flown in/out of Hobby with no issues for many years.

To the OP, Hobby is mainly Southwest. If you are cruising out of Galveston, Hobby would be a better choice.

wow, I feel so stupid!!! I can't stop laughing at myself, what an idiot!! I don't know what I was thinking. I guess seeing "Hobby" just made me think of the store and I automatically put Lobby!!!! lol

I'm obviously very confused. I was looking at reviews and just reading it got me all mixed up. I can fly into Hobby, which is the Houston airport, ok I got that. I was thinking of Scholes Int'l, which is in Galveston.

So sorry for my stupidness!!!

So for those of you that have flown into HOU before, how long did it take you to get to Galveston? From what I see it's about an hour away? How did you get to Galveston? I can see a cab being pretty expensive!!

thehams, it was an honest and even logical mistake. I will probably use Hobby Lobby to refer to that airport now, just for laughs.

I'm not sure of shuttle service to Galveston from Hobby, but I think the cruise line shuttles mostly operate from Bush because of the more extensive airline service. But Hobby is probably at least an hour closer to Galveston, and I think you are right that it would be about an hour or so drive, depending on time and traffic. You might find more information on the port board for Galveston, or maybe the cruise line can help.

Edited by jamessemaj

If you fly into Hobby Lobby airport, do you come out with extra luggage, because you find a lot of stuff that you didn't even know existed, but now you absolutely have to have? ;)

Absolutely!

wow, I feel so stupid!!! I can't stop laughing at myself, what an idiot!! I don't know what I was thinking. I guess seeing "Hobby" just made me think of the store and I automatically put Lobby!!!! lol

I'm obviously very confused. I was looking at reviews and just reading it got me all mixed up. I can fly into Hobby, which is the Houston airport, ok I got that. I was thinking of Scholes Int'l, which is in Galveston.

So sorry for my stupidness!!!

So for those of you that have flown into HOU before, how long did it take you to get to Galveston? From what I see it's about an hour away? How did you get to Galveston? I can see a cab being pretty expensive!!

No worries! If that is the worst thing today, you are doing fine!

It is an easy 1 1/4 hour drive to Galveston. Our flight got in too late to take the shuttle night before. It was actually cheaper to rent a car, drive it to the hotel in Galveston, park it for a week then drive it back then it would have been for two people on the shuttle. It felt weird to have a rental car just sit for the week, but I looked at lots of different options and that proved to be both the most cost effective and efficient.

So the two airport in metro Houston are "George H W Bush" and "Hobby Lobby"

As a Democrat I guess I better take a train.

William P. Hobby was a democrat. His son, W.P. Hobby, Jr. was one of the last democrats to hold statewide office in Texas. He was lieutenant governor, which in Texas is a more powerful office than governor. :D

Hobby has been exempted from the Wright amendment for many years. It's Love Field that was exempted much more recently.

William P. Hobby was a democrat. His son, W.P. Hobby, Jr. was one of the last democrats to hold statewide office in Texas. He was lieutenant governor, which in Texas is a more powerful office than governor. :D

And yet, Hobby *Lobby* - different story;)

Personally I much prefer Hobby airport for it smaller size. Hopefully SWA will continue to use Hobby.

Bush is HUGE with very long walks. A few years ago I got stuck having use it and it took 20 minutes from the main entrance to get to the gate I needed. Whew!

Personally I much prefer Hobby airport for it smaller size. Hopefully SWA will continue to use Hobby.

Bush is HUGE with very long walks. A few years ago I got stuck having use it and it took 20 minutes from the main entrance to get to the gate I needed. Whew!

Southwest (WN, not SWA ;)) won't be leaving Hobby any time soon. They're spending millions on a new international terminal there now that they're merging with Air Tran.

WE also live in CA. Have used Southwest to fly into Hobby from San Diego. Check your roll call to find some one looking to share a ride. We used the Super shuttle for about $18 per person. If you can't find a ride share go with a taxi, it's about $50 for the taxi. The ride from HOBBY to the cruise terminal is about 35 minutes with no traffic..happy cruising

Hobby is much easier to manuver in and out. Some of the cruise lines offer shuttles, but you are better off lining up one that suits your times. FYI, come in 1 day early, and stay on the gulf, at one of the hotels that offers free shuttles to and from their hotel to the cruise ships. You get to enjoy the Galveston, some great food, and entertainment, plus you can relax prior to boarding. If you don't wish to fly Southwest, you are almost stuck with GH Bush airport, unless you want to connect in Dallas on AA and fly a regional jet into Hobby. Regardless, have a great cruise.

Took a taxi from Hobby to hotel at the cruiseport November 2013. It took about an hour and cost $105 by meter plus a tip. We had a 10:35 pm arrival Southwest flight into the airport so just took a taxi rather than renting a car or trying to find a shuttle for that late at night. And then a taxi back to the airport at end of cruise.

We live right near the 118 freeway which was named for Ronald Reagan in 1994. So whenever I drive on it, I usually pass at least one sign that reminds me of that. After he passed away, there was a motorcade with one SUV carrying his body to his final resting place at his library, which is off of the freeway, and when we heard it was on the way, we made our way to the overpass nearest to us and got there just as the local fire station finished placing the US Flag on the fence.

BTW, a loyal Michael's shopper. I'm glad that if I ever fly to Texas (I've had stops there to board another plane), that I don't have to boycott that airport.:D

If you fly into Hobby Lobby airport, do you come out with extra luggage, because you find a lot of stuff that you didn't even know existed, but now you absolutely have to have? ;)

I can definitely tell you have been to Hobby Lobby, as have I. [emoji2]