Terrible unique change to early cancellation means I will never go CCL again!

I'm confused....I thought with early saver it was a $50 cancellation fee and the rest of any money already paid was held for the next booked cruise?

That is what they do. But the OP said they were going solo so they are probably holding some of his deposit to be used for another cruise.

Amazing that someone can cruise as much as this OP says and yet have no idea about the cancellation policy. Please don't blame Carnival for you not reading the contract.

No need to warn people here. There are so many threads about Early Saver restrictions and rules, that most people who frequent these boards already know about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just contacted Carnival to cancel a cruise that I booked for January 2017- about 5 months from now. Previously, I have cruised 41 times with many cruise lines, and many of them have been with Carnival. In the past, even recently, al cruise lines have had the same policy that if you cancel out many months apart, you do so without penalty. Makes sense, as they will have a huge amount of time to rebook that cabin; often at a higher rate. Let me explain that this was for a 7 day highly desirable Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Glory leaving from Miami; not some obscure cruise that might not book up. When I called, I was informed that in order to do so it would impose a penalty fee of $250 for my lowly basic interior cabin.

SO I THEN CHECKED WITH Norwegian, who had a different offer for a similar price for a cabi leavin later that month that offer diverse live entertainment, included beverage package to see if Carnival was just going along with competitors. Instead, I was told that has all cruise lines have always offered, that there would be no penalty if I cancelled before late October.

So, I booked the Norwegian Breakaway from NYC near where I live, did not cance the Glory, but I will never book with CLL again until they revert to the more reasonable policy of letting people cancel before the 90 day before the cruise policy. I have also gone through the cancelling of live bands sailaways, real entertainment, and better food and service accompanied with still good but decreased service due to cuts by the company to the number of service staff, I cannot understand why CLL has a rationale to impose such a steer penalty on a $1000 cabin of $250 when I had also purchased cruise insurance and I was five plus months out!

A warning to all thinking about going or staying with Carnival.

The pros and cons of booking Carnival's early saver rate have been discussed ad nauseam on this board. I'm kind of surprised an experienced cruiser like you was not aware of the early saver fare rules. I don't see Carnival's fare rules as "terrible unique change." Early saver rules have been around for years (since January 2009 to be exact), and the conditions are readily available at multiple places on Carnival's website for the world to see. It sounds like the only "warning" needed is to be a smart, informed consumer when you make a vacation purchase and to understand what you are buying before you buy it. You can't blame Carnival because you didn't do your homework. You accepted more restrictions when you booked a reduced fare under early saver. And don't forget early saver offers price protection AFTER final payment date that other less restrictive fares do not have.

https://www.carnival.com/legal/specials-terms-conditions.aspx

And Carnival does still offer cancellation without penalty prior to final payment date on most other fare types.

Something ain't right here....

I agree and I'm a bit confused. Is the OP saying that she cancels cruises a lot to get a better deal with another cruise line?

I have also gone through the cancelling of live bands sailaways, real entertainment, and better food and service accompanied with still good but decreased service due to cuts by the company to the number of service staff, I cannot understand why CLL has a rationale to impose such a steer penalty on a $1000 cabin of $250 when I had also purchased cruise insurance and I was five plus months out!
:confused:

Maybe the OP has a history of cancelling cruises and she's on Carnivals list of "seller beware."

Penalties for cancelling a cruise?

Welcome to the world of cruising when you are not a US or Canadian citizen.

We have always had penalties. Always.

Took the words out of my mouth!

More to the point...US cruise booking is the only holiday booking type I have heard of where you get your deposit back.

Exactly why we always book the Past Guest rate.

It may be a few $$ more than ES, but at least we know the deposit is fully refundable up until the date penalties start. On our next 2 cruises the PG rate was $10.00 more per person than ES. It is well worth it to us to pay $20.00 (total) to ensure that the deposit is refundable.

FYI: I checked the cruises often before booking and for a long time there was no PG rate. As soon as it appeared, I jumped on it. It was gone in a couple of days and has not reappeared since on one of the bookings. It was still available for the one in April 2017.

OP, NCL's "free" or included stuff is not always really free either. Some friends wanted us to do an NCL with them and we were supposed to have our choice of two "free" items such as drink package or multiple dinners in the specialty restaurants. Guess what, when we went to book there was a $450 "service charge" for those "free" items...wait, what? Apparently NCL doesn't understand the word free. You might want to check the fine print on that cruise as well. Just saying.

Just contacted Carnival to cancel a cruise that I booked for January 2017- about 5 months from now. Previously, I have cruised 41 times with many cruise lines, and many of them have been with Carnival. In the past, even recently, al cruise lines have had the same policy that if you cancel out many months apart, you do so without penalty. Makes sense, as they will have a huge amount of time to rebook that cabin; often at a higher rate. Let me explain that this was for a 7 day highly desirable Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Glory leaving from Miami; not some obscure cruise that might not book up. When I called, I was informed that in order to do so it would impose a penalty fee of $250 for my lowly basic interior cabin.

SO I THEN CHECKED WITH Norwegian, who had a different offer for a similar price for a cabi leavin later that month that offer diverse live entertainment, included beverage package to see if Carnival was just going along with competitors. Instead, I was told that has all cruise lines have always offered, that there would be no penalty if I cancelled before late October.

So, I booked the Norwegian Breakaway from NYC near where I live, did not cance the Glory, but I will never book with CLL again until they revert to the more reasonable policy of letting people cancel before the 90 day before the cruise policy. I have also gone through the cancelling of live bands sailaways, real entertainment, and better food and service accompanied with still good but decreased service due to cuts by the company to the number of service staff, I cannot understand why CLL has a rationale to impose such a steer penalty on a $1000 cabin of $250 when I had also purchased cruise insurance and I was five plus months out!

with carnival, it has been, at least for the last 10 years, based on which rate you booked. if you book es to get the lowest price, there will always be a penalty. sounds like you didn't due your due diligence to find out what you were buying. :rolleyes:

when did an eastern caribbean on the glory become so desirable. :rolleyes: you make it sound like real estate that's trying to be sold. if you want something truly desirable, try a southern caribbean......but i guess it will be on a different line.

toodles. :)

Interesting. You must have booked with an unusual rate because my military rate has no penalty outside 90 days on all 4 of my upcoming cruises.

actually, he/she probably booked the most common rate, early saver, which has a penalty for cancelling. if people would read the terms and conditions of what they are buying they wouldn't get butt hurt down the road.

It also works both ways. No other cruise line (that I know of) allows price drops up to 2 days before sailing, either. That is the beauty of ES. However, it is not for everyone and unfortunately you found out the hard way. But to swear off a cruise line because you were ill informed is a little extreme in my book. However, it's your right and I wish you happy sailings on whatever ship you sail on.

You are 100% correct (on all counts). Op, happy cruising, just go knowing that early saver really does work, it is not slight of hand, or under handed.

I have a cruise booked for Oct and another for Dec. Looks like I probably am not going to take the Dec. one. I booked it with ES but booked it with the $50 deposit sale just in case I didn't take it. I knew going in that I would lose the money if I cancelled and I am fine with that it's a risk I took booking it and the same risk you took. There were no surprises or tricks, everything is clearly spelled out, not hidden at all.

Sorry, but Carnival didn't "treat customers this way." YOU booked a cruise with a non-refundable rate, and now you're mad because you didn't read the fine print that goes with the rate you booked. Nobody's fault but your own. Your statement should say express disappointment that "I would treat myself ths way."

Carnival is simply following the rules for the rate you booked.

Pretty much.

Ok very confused. Facts based on your post. 1- you checked on cancellation policy

2- you didn't cancel

Now my confusion if you didn't cancel, tells me you are and were planning on taking the cruise. Do way did you check the policy.

Conclusion I draw you knew the policy but wanted something to knock CCL over.

I'm assuming you booked EARLY SAVER. It's a rate that you really should have researched before booking it. It is usually the lowest rate (along with Military) but does have stiff penalties.

When you book online, there is a 'more info' button at the bottom of the fare. This clearly states the terms and conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm confused....I thought with early saver it was a $50 cancellation fee and the rest of any money already paid was held for the next booked cruise?

I believe that is only if cancelled Prior to FINAL PAYMENT date? However it sounds like the OP needs to review their ORIGINAL terms & conditions. They could have booked under a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit booking, which would be the $250.

---

Guests who cancel prior to the final payment date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit received less a $50 USD service fee per person.

Cancellations that occur after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties.

So you are mad at Carnival because NCL lied to you about Carnival's cancellation policy?

I am glad you posted this story it is a good lesson for people to learn. But the lesson is this. Never trust another cruise line to give you correct information about your booking on another cruise line.