To the stranger currently onboard Quantum....

Stories like this really go a long way to restoring my faith in humanity - as a mom to a child with autism I spend a lot of time being glared at and tutted at and it is so refreshing when someone just takes a second to not be judgmental.

There is a lovely little girl with Down Syndrome at our school and I often see her being ignored by the other kids, the other day I noticed two boys from her class being so kind and patient with her, just genuinely decent kids, and I actually cried a little.

So please also accept my grateful appreciation kind stranger on Quantum, because you are helping so many more than just this mom!

[quote name='mickev99']Just wanted to give you a glimpse of the future...I have twins and my oldest was 19 months at the time they were born. I often say I cried a lot that first year, it was tough, no family living close to help out...then going through terrible twos and threes! My oldest is now 12 and my twins are 10 1/2....trust me it gets better!! I suggest joining a mom's club of multiples if there is one close to you. It totally helped me keep my sanity...no one truly understands what it's like to have multiples than other parents of multiples. Hang in there!! And congrats on the adoption!![/QUOTE]

It does get better. My children are 16 months apart and it was really difficult the first couple of years. Now they are 17 and almost 16, and do everything together. It is such a blessing. The only thing I'm not looking forward is going through drivers ed again, so soon.
To the OP. Thanks for sharing your beautiful story.

[quote name='Natmom']What a wonderful story. I remember being at my wits end many times![/quote]

As do I!

OP, it is lovely you had someone reach out to you and help. Sometimes it just takes that little extra helping hand to get you over the hump! I find it gives me pleasure at times. We ALL had moments with our kids.

What a wonderful story and memory of your trip. It renews my faith in human behavior when, in the world reported by news feeds, mankind seems so mean-spirited. Let's all try to be more like this "stranger".

Being a guy, it's harder to talk to other people's kids because it comes off as creepy. However once while waiting for an excursion bus, we were talking to family from Germany. Their daughter was about 5 and was fed up with the whole excursion because she didn't speak English and was overwhelmed. Not that I speak German, but I noticed she had on a disney princess shirt. So I drew some pictures for her in the sand with a stick. Mickey Mouse is universal, LOL. She also taught me how to count to 10 in German.

[quote name='TBone2K'] Not that I speak German, but I noticed she had on a disney princess shirt. So I drew some pictures for her in the sand with a stick. Mickey Mouse is universal, LOL. She also taught me how to count to 10 in German.[/QUOTE]

The Mouse is universal indeed! A great icebreaker.

To the OP, I am glad you found a kind hearted stranger on your cruise. I don't complain about kids on cruises, but I will certainly be aware and be extra nice to someone if I see the kids getting a little more antsy.

We usually travel as a family (with my parents, brother, SIL and nieces) but this next cruise will be just us. I will miss my nieces so much. Their amazement is part of what makes a cruise great for us.

Anyhow folks, there are all kinds of kinds in this world and just a quick smile can do so much to brighten a tough situation.

[quote name='fuzzmane']This link has been posted to his live review of the cruise, so yes he will see this. Glad things are going better now. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.[/QUOTE]

where is his live review????

This is one of the most beautiful posts I have ever read on CC and I have been here over 10 years!

I hope you find the person you are reaching out to, and that person comes foreword, I for one would like to say thank you to her.

Thank you for your post.....now I need to grab a few tissues!

This serves to remind all of us that how we treat others can make or break their day. A little kindness sometimes goes a really long way. Thanks so much for sharing.

Wow. What a great story. So nice to see something where folks are saying good things instead of complaining on these boards.

Reading the OP story brought back memories of when my youngest was little and had melt downs. She is on the autism spectrum but looks totally normal. So when she would have fits I would get looks from others people as if I was a horrible parent for having a spoiled child. I wanted to crawl in a hole and die of embarrassment.

There was one time that another mother stepped in at dance and helped distract her. I still recall how awesome that was. After we got her situated and calmed down I went outside and had my own meltdown. You see no one had ever tried to help me before and I was overcome.

She gave me a hug and promised things will get better. Ever since then I try to help out others when I see things like what the OP because trust me until you have walked in the other person's shoes you have no idea what one simple act of kindness can do to turn around a person's day or even their life.

I hope this person learns how much this meant. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Thanks for sharing this post.

1974, our family vacationed at Disney World and stayed at the Contemporary hotel. Back then there were only two; Contemporary or Polynesian. I was 12, my brother had just turned 16. The day we checked out, my dad found my brother had been renting those little speed boats (not sure if they still have them) while we were in the Magic Kingdom (the only park at the time) and I believe there were some other charges as well; arcade, meals he had charged. I think my dad yelled all the way home! Longest car ride of my life.

[quote name='2tall']This serves to remind all of us that how we treat others can make or break their day. [B] A little kindness[/B] sometimes goes a really long way. Thanks so much for sharing.[/QUOTE]

Should be the motto on CC.........:rolleyes::D