Anyone Interested in Celebrity's White Truffle Dinner?

helen haywood

We are not...

here is a copy of the email sent for those who might be interested...

We’ve got exciting news!

In honor of the two rare white truffles that Celebrity Cruises acquired at the

world-famous White Truffle Auction in Italy, our James Beard-featured Chef,

John Suley, has created a gourmet, five-course meal that will be featured on your sailing. This unique and exclusive dining experience for guests will take place in our elegant Murano restaurant.

As a valued guest on your upcoming vacation, we want you to have the opportunity to savor this dinner with the culinary world’s highly coveted treasures – also known as “the diamond of the kitchen.” Reserve your seat for this one-of-a-kind dining experience that includes five delectable courses—each using exquisite white truffles and carefully paired with fine wines chosen by your Cellar Master.

White truffles are recognized as a signature of luxury in the culinary world, and they’re almost only found in one region of Italy. For just a few months of the year, truffle connoisseurs from around the world hunt for this delicacy, making the season one of the most highly anticipated events.

The meal is:

Cauliflower Panna Cotta

Salsify Root Soup

Creamy Wild Mushroom Risotto

Pan Seared Turbot

Roasted Veal Tenderloin

desert: Hazelnut Dacquoise

This decadently delicious dining experience is $250 per guest and has limited availability of only 25 seats per cruise. So hurry and reserve your seat for your upcoming November 2014 cruise by Wednesday, Nov. 19, 2014.

December 2014 cruises, please be sure to reserve by Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014.

I often have cauliflower and white truffle oil. One cooks the cauliflower in salted boiling water and when cooked the cauliflower is draining and white truffle oil sprinkled over the florets just prior to serving. Lovely grubbly. Truffle oil whilst not cheap wont break the bank either

Um--no, not in a zillion years for that price, especially if they have veal, which I won't eat. I didn't look at the menu, so just going by previous posts. I looked at the email and deleted it immediately when I saw the $250 price! I don't like food that much!

Heck, we've never even had a meal in a specialty restaurant, since the MDR is fine with us. We might on our Dec. cruise, though as we have lots of OBC and it's our 50th anniversary.

Some people will go...true foodies who appreciate the winning white truffle will attend.

We celebrated our anniversary this weekend at a fine dining restaurant without the award winning truffle, and it cost us upwards of $320 (however, that was for two of us, and not per person).

I would love to try the menu with these white truffles (I have read about the auction this year in Italy), but I wouldn't pay $500 for the honour on a cruise.

Shawn

I just got that message also, and think I shall pass.

Just got an email from Celebrity telling me I could make reservations for a special dinner featuring white truffles to be held in Murano for a mere $250 per person.

Any takers?

For that menue, it is too expensive. I assume they will mainly use the oil and maybe some tiny pieces on one of the dishes.

Since the wole issue is just about the white truffle, I would prefer just a good home cooked taglioloni with butter, cognac and generous portion of the truffle.:)

Sounds to me like a venture designed to:

A) Give top tier repeaters and perhaps PH passengers a "very, very special" comp event that will give them the warm fuzzies since other people (in theory) will pay that much. In the end, doubtful many in the room actually will pay that.

B) Get new publicity for Celebrity in the food & wine or travel press. I've worked in the cruise industry, travel PR and editorial. Travel writers/editors are always looking for "what's new?" to print, especially in the little blurbs at the front of the magazine. High-priced glamor is always popular.

Sounds to me like a venture designed to:

A) Give top tier repeaters and perhaps PH passengers a "very, very special" comp event that will give them the warm fuzzies since other people (in theory) will pay that much. In the end, doubtful many in the room actually will pay that.

B) Get new publicity for Celebrity in the food & wine or travel press. I've worked in the cruise industry, travel PR and editorial. Travel writers/editors are always looking for "what's new?" to print, especially in the little blurbs at the front of the magazine. High-priced glamor is always popular.

Very astute. As a general statement, people who could afford this would likely be in a higher end suite anyway, and would likely get an invitation. I guess most of us who can cruise Celebrity could technically 'afford' to do this, but would never, ever spend that kind of money on a meal. This seems to me a lot like some of those shore excursions - literally thousands of dollars to go to some special resort or have your personal chauffer or something. Also something 99% of cruisers would never dream of being able to afford or spend money on, but just having them sets Celebrity apart from other mainstream lines for the very few who might be interested, and gives them something to treat their very big spenders to.

Edited by phoenix_dream

I like good food & wine... But I cannot say this menu appeals to me... And at $ 500 a couple, definitely too rich for me / us.

But then again, Celebrity (besides the publicity, which is on the verge of Priceless no doubt) has to make up the cost somehow... 750 grams (24.691 ounces = 1.543 Lbs) of Truffles did cost them € 15,000 ($ 18,776.70 US)

:eek: Yikes !!

(had to do a bit of digging to find that actual newsworthy part of the story)

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/celebrity-acquires-white-truffles-at-italian-auction.html?print=1&tmpl=component

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We are sailing on Eclipse on the 23rd Nov. and have received the same email. There is no mention of the date for the dinner ! I am not interested, but have reserved quite a few nights in the Murano restaurant.

I will be extremely annoyed if my date clashes with this EVENT, and they cancel my reservation - on second thoughts I doubt whether 25 people will be interested.

Edited by mickey89