Medical Evacuation Earlier Today on Reflection 10th March 2016

MR_T

Currently sitting by the pool enjoying another day of sun & relaxation but have just been informed we have diverted towards the coast of San Juan as we have a medical emergency on board that requires an evacuation, fingers crossed to poor individual is ok and makes a full recovery!

The helicopter is currently right by the side of the ship as they are doing the evacuation from deck 15 just above the pool deck (deck 14) so very close indeed,

I do have some pics/videos of the evacuation and will post but generally don't like seeing this stuff but as both people that left did walk to the basket themselves so hopefully it was just a precaution and they will be fine! [emoji4] just think it might be interesting to see how the operation happened! It was very efficient & dealt with very professionally by all the celebrity crew & the US coast guard f8d4f3f429cd9d3236c56453e6d793e3.jpgbc1ea16854b0531728ec3fac2343bdfd.jpgfb867b8de2b418d9d3ec4cf77eca2ac8.jpg9452f1c0a2a80123873cd2e7c36a5902.jpghttps://vimeo.com/158538170https://vimeo.com/158538481https://vimeo.com/158538693

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by MR_T

Yes, a speedy recovery for them and a reminder for us to make sure that we get travel insurance. Those medical evacuations are big bucks.

Having had to fly home with DW mid-cruise for a medical emergency, I couldn't agree more about insurance.

In the US, does the Coast Guard charge for evacs of this nature? Just wondering.

Yes , I totally agree. We witnessed a medical evacuation last month on a cruise in New Zealand. Our ship was in Auckland at the time so it just delayed us from leaving by a few hours. It is still eery watching someone go off on a stretcher while the wife drags the luggage along[emoji852] Hope everything is ok for the couple..

Thanks for sharing the pictures...... very interesting to see. I've been on the helicopter pad several times for sailaways at various islands in the Caribbean but have never witnessed a helicopter landing there. I agree with the fact that if both parties were able to walk to the basket that this must have been only as a precaution. You didn't mention if they had their luggage with them, but I assume they must have unless they were planning on rejoining the ship at the next port.

There is no way they would have taken luggage with them.

And I know many on these boards love to say, "never fly to port on embarkation day" and "always buy the insurance"...Just so anyone that is new to the boards happen to read this thread, everyone doesn't think those are both hard and fast rules or that all people think that is the way to go.

Thanks for sharing the pictures...... very interesting to see. I've been on the helicopter pad several times for sailaways at various islands in the Caribbean but have never witnessed a helicopter landing there. I agree with the fact that if both parties were able to walk to the basket that this must have been only as a precaution. You didn't mention if they had their luggage with them, but I assume they must have unless they were planning on rejoining the ship at the next port.

I certainly didn't see any luggage being off loaded, plus we are back in Miami tomorrow so I guess worse case they would be able to mange for 2 days! [emoji848]

When we were 'kicked off the ship' due to DHs heart attack, I quickly packed everything up before riding in the ambulance with him. The port agent picked up our bags from the ship and then picked me up at the hospital to check me in at a hotel. He then took me back to the hospital to be with DH. So I'm sure someone made some kind of arrangements for their luggage. . .

When we were 'kicked off the ship' due to DHs heart attack, I quickly packed everything up before riding in the ambulance with him. The port agent picked up our bags from the ship and then picked me up at the hospital to check me in at a hotel. He then took me back to the hospital to be with DH. So I'm sure someone made some kind of arrangements for their luggage. . .

Agree...obviously they eventually get their luggage back...They would not hoist it up to coast guard helicopter.

We were also on this cruise. My husband noticed right away on the cruise navigator channel when we woke up that the ship was headed south back towards San Juan.

We have witnessed a few medical evacuations from the helipad but this was the first time seeing one from the side of the ship off the deck. It was very upsetting and sad as everyone stood around gawking. If I was in that situation besides getting safely off the ship I would certainly want some privacy. :(

I was on the Emerald Princess in November, medical evacuation about 10pm. There was an announcement that no one was allowed on the open decks nor on their balconies. Respect to the family, no pictures.

I think it's sad that, although there is a perfectly fine helicopter pad on the ships, the Coast Guard helicopters can't land on foreign-flagged ships. We witnessed an evacuation of a gentleman that had a heart attack. I'm quite sure that getting hoisted into the helicopter that way did not improve his health.

We have witnessed several medical evacuations also but we have only heard this dreadful announcement once:

"This emergency announcement is for officers and crew only. Star code. Star code. Star code. Main Dining Room."

We learned later that a person had a heart attack in the main dining room.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
typo

I think it's sad that, although there is a perfectly fine helicopter pad on the ships, the Coast Guard helicopters can't land on foreign-flagged ships. We witnessed an evacuation of a gentleman that had a heart attack. I'm quite sure that getting hoisted into the helicopter that way did not improve his health.

I don't know where you got the idea that they can't land on foreign-flagged ships, but the reality is that in the vast majority of cases it is far easier and safer for all concerned not to land.

I don't know where you got the idea that they can't land on foreign-flagged ships, but the reality is that in the vast majority of cases it is far easier and safer for all concerned not to land.

True. They told us that the Coast Guard would determine which was safer, the helipad of the side of the ship. Guess with the winds it was safer from deck 15.

Wow, where did you come up with that fact.....

FYI, they can land on any ship that requests assistance but will only do so if it is safe. A hoist evacuation is safer and faster then a landing on a moving ship with a confined landing zone and dealing with winds. If you really are interested in why they do what they do perhaps you could read the coast guards shipboard-helicopter procedures just google COMDTINST M3710.2E

Oh.. Btw.... It is 392 pages long.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Motorman23

FYI, they can land on any ship that requests assistance but will only do so if it is safe. A hoist evacuation is safer and faster then a landing on a moving ship with a confined landing zone and dealing with winds.Mike

Thanks Mike for the post. And, I could be wrong, but I believe the helicopter med evacs are hoist only on the S Class ships.

FYI, they can land on any ship that requests assistance but will only do so if it is safe. A hoist evacuation is safer and faster then a landing on a moving ship with a confined landing zone and dealing with winds. If you really are interested in why they do what they do perhaps you could read the coast guards shipboard-helicopter procedures just google COMDTINST M3710.2E

Oh.. Btw.... It is 392 pages long.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What Chapter did you read that ?