SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

Can someone tell me where the forums are for the Rotterdam cruise for Mar. 30? I can't find anything. Thanks

Click on this link. It will take you to the roll call for the March 30 Rotterdam cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2336918

Has anyone got any information to confirm that the increase in HSC is being passed directly to the staff, effective from 1st May? In other words, are the stewards getting a pay rise on 1st May? :evilsmile:;)

Why would you think otherwise? You might as well ask if anyone can confirm the crew gets the current HSC?

Has anyone got any information to confirm that the increase in HSC is being passed directly to the staff, effective from 1st May? In other words, are the stewards getting a pay rise on 1st May? :evilsmile:;)

Really???? Why exactly would you expect info relating to contractual matters between the crew and their employer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why would you think otherwise? You might as well ask if anyone can confirm the crew gets the current HSC?

Well, because HAL, being a considerate employer, may have given them the increase earlier and subsidised it until May 1st, or not.............?

Well, because HAL, being a considerate employer, may have given them the increase earlier and subsidised it until May 1st, or not.............?

They need to be rather careful about that for the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread. There's employer-to-employee compensation and then there's passenger-to-employee HSC, and (as they say) never the twain shall meet.

How does your second quote relate to your first quote?

My understanding is that the courts are still looking at this very issue: if it's mandatory, it's no longer a tip, and if it's no longer a tip, it must be taxable income.

Resort fees charged at some hotels are not tips. They are fees that are processed as income by the hotel. The optional service charges collected by cruise lines are considered tips. As long as they are optional and passed entirely to the crew they are neither income, nor are the payments expenses to the cruise lines. In accordance with US accounting rules. The cruise lines may not be subject to US taxes, but they are listed on the US stock exchanges and their filings must follow US accounting standards.

Just read on USA Today that:

"Effective May 1, the company is hiking the hotel service charge it tacks onto final bills by 8% to $13.50 per person, per day for passengers staying in most cabins. Passengers in suites will pay $15 per person, per day ? a 10% rise."

I may be wrong, but can passengers opt out? I normally tip our staff, and meal-service delivery staff, but if I can opt out? I'll tip more to them directly.

Thoughts?

BTW, this CEO sucks. Someone has to tell him that he inherited something special (70 years in #Alaska, >100 years to America). He's treating us like we're McDonalds.

Every year I cruise with this line, some service has been reduced. Time to move on?

Just read on USA Today that:

"Effective May 1, the company is hiking the hotel service charge it tacks onto final bills by 8% to $13.50 per person, per day for passengers staying in most cabins. Passengers in suites will pay $15 per person, per day ? a 10% rise."

I may be wrong, but can passengers opt out? I normally tip our staff, and meal-service delivery staff, but if I can opt out? I'll tip more to them directly.

Thoughts?

Are you sure you want to hear them ?

This is exactly why we do not limit ourselves to any one cruise line and why we 'cherry pick' across all offers to attain the best value based on our preferences. From our perspective HAL and others are much of a muchness so to speak. A race to the lowest common denominator when it comes to food, staffing, service,etc. It appears that this is what the mass market demands.

We do not really pay much attention to a dollar or two difference in the daily gratuity rate. We look at the bottom line price....cruise, tax, gratuities etc. NET of TA and cruise line OBC's We do this because this is the price we actually pay for a cruise and it forms the basis for our price comparisons.

Edited by iancal

I assume from your approach to rising costs that you are opting out of electric service at your place of residence. Nice!...I like solar too, except after dark.

If you find a cruise line that has increased service or 'not cut back', please post here so that we all can enjoy their service.

This is old news here. There has been a thread on this already. As I responded in past our stewards deserve the increase.

I realize the cuts have been happening along time now, but agree on their increase HSC for them. Now for us we have been with HAL a long time. 4 Stars so far, but we have a month cruise next Feb with them and decided to change course with our WC due to a lot of cut backs on this years WC. So Viking Ocean we will be trying. Will see.

Not trying to jump ship 🚢!!

Just a change.

Denise:)

If I wasn't happy with a cruise line's policies, I wouldn't take it out on the hard working staff.

The same complaints are on all the other cruise line forums - Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, Norwegian, etc.

Roz