Let's be realistic on money matters

jasbo49

Hope this doesn't come across as lecturing, but I can't believe how many posts I've seen here where someone says "it's worth the extra money" to:

-- Eat at the up-charge restaurants

-- Get a balcony cabin

-- Go on the best excursions

-- Arrive early and spend a night in the departure city

-- Upgrade to a fancy suite

Yes, these are all things that "are worth it" if you have the money, but to many of us, just coming up with the scratch to buy and get to a cruise stretches the budget near the breaking point. Please understand that not everyone on this site is rolling in dough. Some are just trying to squeeze a little "luxury" into into an otherwise getting-by life.

By the way, I don't really know where to post this, and it's obvious many of the cruise veterans who offer advice on the first-time cruisers forum are great people willing to spend time helping the newbies.

Jim

Don't mean to be rude, but,, if things are that tight, then maybe you're not ready for a cruise vacation financially.

99% of us have been there. We had dreams of cruise vacations but had to put that off until we could really afford it. Until then, we did what we could with what we had.

"Worth it" (and it's distant cousin, "best") are totally subjective personal opinions. What is "worth it" to you, may be a total waste to me.

On the other hand, the arriving the day before sailing is just good common sense. Flying the day of sailing is an invitation to heart attacks, gray hairs and missing your cruise.

But I understand your post.

Hope this doesn't come across as lecturing, but I can't believe how many posts I've seen here where someone says "it's worth the extra money" to:

-- Get a balcony cabin

Yes, these are all things that "are worth it" if you have the money, but to many of us, just coming up with the scratch to buy and get to a cruise stretches the budget near the breaking point. Please understand that not everyone on this site is rolling in dough. Some are just trying to squeeze a little "luxury" into into an otherwise getting-by life.

By the way, I don't really know where to post this, and it's obvious many of the cruise veterans who offer advice on the first-time cruisers forum are great people willing to spend time helping the newbies.

Jim

Probably when people ask if something is "worth it" they have money to pay for it, just not sure if they should.

As for coming one day early... once our flight was delayed, we came too close to departure, my nerves are worth more than one-night stand in a hotel :)

We don't pay for restaurants, sail in window cabins, don't buy tours when we can help it, but if for others it's "worth it" to pay for more comfortable cruising, so be it.

-- Get a balcony cabin

By the way, I don't really know where to post this, and it's obvious many of the cruise veterans who offer advice on the first-time cruise great people willing to spend time helping the newbies.

Jim

On most of this I agree, except for the arriving the day before. It only takes one to miss the ship because of airline problems to totally ruin your cruise. Long story short, fllying to NY from San Antonio via St. Louis, plane delayed, ended flying to chicago, no tickets to NY, finally got on a plane to NY, as we were landing in NY we saw our ship leaving. Needless to say it wasn't a great way to start a second honeymoon to Bermuda ( 10th anniversary) Also our luggage got lost :( Anyway the cruise staff at the airport in NY were great and all ended well, we were upgraded to a balcony cabin. Of course the people didn't know what to do with us, seeing as we were suppose to be on a ship not coming in on a plane. So if we have to fly, which we try not to, we always go the day before...less stress.

Actually the only one on that list that I would strongly recommend is the "Arrive early and spend a night in the departure city." The only time we haven't is when we're leaving from the Port of Los Angeles (we're an hour's drive away), but my hubby was talking about the possibility of staying the night before our next cruise (whenever that is) in San Pedro, near the port -- just to be able to see our ship literally coming in.

When flying nowadays, there are so many ways your flight can be cancelled or delayed. If you book a flight for the day before and there's a delay, you can probably still find another flight, but not necessarily for hours. If there's a weather delay from your airport, you may still have time to drive to another airport and fly from there. But if you try to do this the day of your cruise, you might be out of luck. And not be able to get back your cruise fare.

As for the other items: we don't bother with balcony cabins or suites. We actually turned down a moveover offer years ago -- if we postponed our cruise for a few weeks, we'll get a full refund for our lowest category inside and get upgraded to a balcony. There were many reasons we turned it down (even though we were flexible as to dates and it was one of those times we were driving to the port so no flights to rebook). We don't feel "less than" for having an inside or OV cabin.

Also, we're not foodies, so we've never eaten in a specialty restaurant onboard. We don't see the need to.

Most of the time we just go out in port and wing it (I'll do some basic research on each port and bring at least one guide book with). When we do book an excursion, it's usually through the cruiseline as we have found we prefer those to ones booked at the pier, and don't have to worry if we get back late to the ship (that happened once and the ship waited for our van to get back).

-- Get a balcony cabin

>SNIP<

Jim

In many respects, I agree with what I'm getting as your point on this (except the entire bit about not flying in a day early -- THAT is "worth it", esp if you are watching your ship leave without you.)

Often new cruisers get told things like "Oh it is WORTH it to get a balcony cabin for Alaska" or "Make sure you go to the upcharge restaurant", and the people telling them that make it sound like anything other than the suggestion will mean a cruise is just LACKING. I worry that new would-be cruisers decide to not take the cruise they've been dreaming of because other posters convince them that they need a MUCH HIGHER category of cabin (e.g., inside vs balcony), that the upcharge restaurant is a "must do", and you shouldn't bother going to Alaska if you don't take the uber-expensive flightseeing excursions. So the cruise-dreamers put their plans on hold until they can afford the higher-cost option.

IMHO that is just wrong. No one is guaranteed any amount of time on this earth. When someone who chooses to spend more insists that their way is the only "right" way, I wanna scream :) I think people should do what they can afford, when they can afford it, and if it doesn't meet someone else's "standards" of a "decent vacation", too bad :D

Except for the "fly in a day early" -- that is the ONLY extra expense that I fully endorse. I personally consider it "insurance".

Well, I do everything on your list and I would not go on a cruise unless I can. I am not rolling in dough but I work alot of hours and i am very thrifty so that when I do go on vacation I can cruise in style.

We started cruising in the late-80's....for a reasonable price, you got A LOT of "luxury"...the dining room service, food and presentation was impeccable. The cabin attendant was on top of their game, without being intrusive...and it was FUN! The less expensive cabins have always been, well....tiny....That's RCI for you!

Ok...it's still fun...and there are alot of choices, but if you want the more "upscale" feel, you're gonna have to pay more for it. That's a fact.

So, I get where the OP is coming from.... But...to the OP, you do NOT need to pay extra for anything (except alcohol, IMO!!!)....the normal food will feed your body just fine.

On most of this I agree, except for the arriving the day before. It only takes one to miss the ship because of airline problems to totally ruin your cruise.quote]

As Mur-cruiser and several others pointed out, the early arrival is probably in a different category than the other purely optional items. My mistake. I guess I was just trying to fill out a list in a hurry. My point was that so many people make recommendations based on the assumption that everyone can afford what they can afford.

We usually can afford a balcony, but I try not to tell others, "It's worth it," because I don't know what their financial situation is. As much as I'd love a penthouse suite, I'll never see the inside of one, no matter how "worth it" someone insists it is.

Jim

I have always felt that the "worth it" and "best" type questions were of little value. We all have different finances and interests. So where I, a history major would love to see historical sites and ruins, others will say "Yuck".

-- Get a balcony cabin

Jim

all but one are personal preference but sorry, it IS financially feasible/responsible to come in a day prior. FAR less expensive than being late and missing departure

and i like others have said if you are pinching pennies so tight they scream in pain.. then save an extra year. nothing worse than being told sorry, no you cant have that glass of wine with dinner or buy that $10 souvenir because the moths have taken over the wallet.

what's the point in being on a cruise if you cannot relax and indulge in a little bit of extra? How can you have fun if you are counting every single expenditure?

I agree with most of what was said...but 'worth it' is subjective and it depends on how you vacation. My sister and her husband are foodies...if they couldn't try the up-charge dining they would always regret it. I ate a lot in the buffet because I enjoy event and shows more.

I too feel flying in the day before is insurance...another $200 to insure you don't miss your $2,000+ vacation. But this too is subjective...I had to fly from NYC to San Fran to get on the ship; my cousin only from LAX, so she flew morning of...not me.

Additionally, the point of the message board is to ask opinions, but you have to make your own choices. I LOVE all the advice the posters gave me in planning my first cruise - did I follow all of it, no, but I weighed thier informed opinions and my own wants and finances.

I can tell you I didn't eat a the steakhouse, and didn't take the most expensive tours, I didn't have a suite or a balcony...but I planned the trip I wanted and was confortable with and damn I had fun!! :D

Have to disagree a little with the OPs comments. Coming in a day early for a European cruise is just good common sense since flights can be late, cancelled, luggage can get delayed, etc. If you are investing a lot of money in a European cruise, coming in a day early is just good common sense that helps protect your investment. As to excursions, my personal philosophy (known by many on CC) is very anti tour and excursions. We generally favor DIY options (have been doing this ourselves for forty+ years) which save a lot of money, avoid the cattle drive characteristics of cruise line excursions, and let you do what you want when you want with who you want and substantial cost savings. We do agree that a balcony is a luxury and if you need to cut costs one of the best ways is to book a lower cost inside cabin. As to the alternative restaurants...we just completed a very long cruise on HA where there was an alternative restaurant that only cost 4 Star (frequent cruisers) $10. And yet most of our friends never bothered to eat at that venue :) And these were folks with over 200 days cruising on HA (not to mention all their other cruise experience) and many did not see the need for the upcharge restaurant.

Hank

Well, I'm a first time cruiser and I agree with what has been said thus far. I think that those of us that read these threads such as myself seeking answers to a great cruise from those that have sailed before, know what we can and cannot afford to do. I live an hour away from the port and I decided to book a room a day ahead just so I can enjoy myself, take a stroll along the beach and just relax. I try to plan ahead and I work alot of hours, so I decided to treat myself to a balcony room and whatever else I choose to do. In my case arriving a day early want set me back because I use my choice rewards point.

-- Get a balcony cabin

Jim

I waited a long time before I can afford real vacations. (my kids are grown, I have no credit debt, no mortgage etc.) when my kids were little and I had all those bills there is no way could I afford a vacation of any kind.

Today, I work and I pay me first. We go on two vacations each year. Our vacations are under 2000 each week and that is total.

Our last cruise was 1477 and that was for 3 of us.

Worth it to some might be worthless to others.

Upgrading to a fancy suite. I sleep and shower in the room as I am too busy doing stuff around the ship.

We no longer eat at the upcharge place. After a few times it isnt the same any more but if i was sailing a new ship or cruiselines I will save so I can try their upcharge places.

(we also book our vacations over a year ahead of time so putting 25.00 each pay (like I am paying a bill) makes that stuff more doable for me.

Flying in the day before and staying at a hotel that costs less then 100 for the night is a luxury that I can not afford to do without. Having almost missed a cruise within minutes to spare just wasnt worth it.

Also arriving a day before the cruise gives you an extra vacation day and time to relax before you get on the ship.

Yes, I've already said I made a mistake including the early arrival with the other more optional stuff. Arriving early is often a safety measure and not a luxury.

However, your contention that it gives people "an extra vacation day, and more time to relax" is exactly what I'm talking about. We shouldn't assume that just because it's desireable, it's within everyone's budget.

Jim

I never tell anyone how to spend their money and I never count anyone else's money.

What is worth whatever to me may not be to someone else but I really wouldn't want to be told I shouldn't spend my money my way.

Afford and worth it are both relative to each of us.

We each decide for ourselves and there is no right or wrong unless you are spending money you owe someone else and should be paying them instead of cruising.

JMO...

However, your contention that it gives people "an extra vacation day, and more time to relax" is exactly what I'm talking about. We shouldn't assume that just because it's desireable, it's within everyone's budget.

Jim

I still don't see how one person's assessment of whether something is "worth it" or not to himself /herself correlates to whether someone else can "afford it" or not. To me they are 2 different things.

Through this forum, I am learning other people's experience, which I understand is subjective (and it should be). It gives me a more informed understanding of what the experience will be like if my family and I were on that particular ship, line, cabin, restaurant, excursion, etc. But depends on the price of that particular item, it is my own call whether I want to do it or not, and if I can afford it.

Yes, I've already said I made a mistake including the early arrival with the other more optional stuff. Arriving early is often a safety measure and not a luxury.

Jim

Perhaps flying in a day early isn't so much an extra day of vacation ... but the peace of mind in getting to the port city early enough to actually get on the ship the next day.

Many, many threads here over the years about flight delays/problems that caused people to miss their sailing. Well, and depending on the itinerary and whether or not they had a passport, they may or may not have been able to go on to the first port. And, if they could fly onward, some did not have the re$ources to buy another plane ticket ... and possibly no insurance to get reimbursed even if the delay would have been a covered cause.

Each of us chooses how to spend our money and how to vacation and cruise, and we each determine what is iimportant to us. Just because we, perhaps, always choose verandahs doesn't mean we're rolling in dough. Heck, we drive cars that are 17 and 18 years old, we have no cable or satellite dish, we have dialup internet, we have stupid phones, we don't eat out as much as others that we know, my spouse is near the bottom of the food chain at work and hasn't seen a raise in more than 5 years (well, and his company has terminated thousands this past 9 months, so he's happy to still have his job). I could go on and on about our minimalist lifestyle, but I think you understand that whatever choices any of us make, it often means a tradeoff, sacrificing one think that's not important to us personally for another that will give us great pleasure.

On the other hand, sometimes people on these boards might get a tad carried away suggesting strongly that something is a must ... when it may not be of particular interest or importance to other cruisers.

To the OP: I'm not sure I understand...what exactly is your point? Should we ignore the different levels of cruising because some can/can't afford it? Has my budget become your business? Would you like people to stop discussing these topics altogether?

People who've had experiences with specialty restaurants, balcony cabins and excursions, etc. come here to share that knowledge and information with everyone else. I don't think it has anything to do with bragging, up selling or encouraging people to spend money they don't have.

My Mom cruised for a few years, always in inside cabins. One year she decided to splurge and get a balcony. She LOVED it, and decided she would get a balcony the following year. Unfortunately, she was diagnosed with cancer six months later, and passed away before she could enjoy the experience again. I saw the smile that balcony put on her face. I'm sure she considered that extra expense well "worth it".

I've been helped tremendously by fellow cruisers on this website who consistently give great advice about saving time, cash and avoiding the occasional travel troubles while still getting the enjoyable cruise vacation they desire.

Oh, and BTW--I've only had the chance to take "real" cruise vacations for the past few years. I am not rich just because I've done some of the things on your list. I scrimped and SAVED to pay for them. Why? Because life is short.

That means I don't get to cruise every year, but when I do, I have a blast.

I hope you are able to do the same.

I never tell anyone how to spend their money and I never count anyone else's money.

What is worth whatever to me may not be to someone else but I really wouldn't want to be told I shouldn't spend my money my way.

Afford and worth it are both relative to each of us.

We each decide for ourselves and there is no right or wrong unless you are spending money you owe someone else and should be paying them instead of cruising.

JMO...

I believe our language both reflects and influences our attitudes and actions. Rather than saying "We cant afford that" we can say " We don't choose to spend money on that"

Archived