Sip and sail disappointment.

lindasuej

The drink package promo is a Rate Code , the OBC promo is a different Rate Code .

You can only have 1 Rate Code per booking(cabin) .

All the Princess people are telling the OP the same answer which is the only answer . It is what it is no matter how many times you call .

Thanks for your insight on explaining this.

It is worth asking the question but since it has been answered by several, it is time to accept one of the gifts. It is a generous offer IMO whichever way the OP books.

Edited by Coral

If you purchase the AIBP, the 2nd person doesn't need to purchase the package.

However, this is a promotion and since you have accepted the promotion, both have to either get the package or cash. It can't be split between two passengers in the same cabin. If you were booked in separate cabins, you'd be able to each decide what you want.

My suggestion is to accept the AIBP for the promotion and he can either enjoy any non-alcoholic beverage and get some value or he can go to the Passenger Services Desk and ask for the OBC once onboard.

That's what I was going to suggest too.

Actually we got this promotion too and on our personalizer, this is what it says below:

Beverage Packages

Package Type Quantity Price Package Purchased By

All-Inclusive Beverage Package 1 $1,183.35 Compliments Of for: Charles Complimentary Gift

All-Inclusive Beverage Package 1 $1,183.35 Compliments Of for: Susan Complimentary Gift

Cancellation Policy: You may cancel 72 hours before your cruise for full refund. Complimentary gifts are non-transferable and do not follow guests who change promotions prior to cruising. The gift is not redeemable for cash and expires at the end of the voyage.

Not sure if by "cash" they mean OBC?

Edited by suzyed

This isn't free, your paying for it. Watch the prices come down after this promotion is over.

If you aren't past final payment and the prices go down and you like the price better without the perk you can always ask for the lower price ( and give up the drink package).

As someone who has 1-5 drinks per year (the OP), I would be taking the $400 OBC in a flash. Even if you plan on "cutting loose" on the cruise and worry that you might order the odd $10 drink that you don't care for, most drinks aren't $10 and there is the 2 for 1 happy hour etc.

You can buy a lot of drinks with the OBC and possibly have some cash left over to help with your gratuities while not worrying about having too much to drink, hangovers or just getting tired of drinking so much when you aren't used to it.

JMHO.....Terry

The drink package promo is a Rate Code , the OBC promo is a different Rate Code .

You can only have 1 Rate Code per booking(cabin) .

All the Princess people are telling the OP the same answer which is the only answer . It is what it is no matter how many times you call .

Oh, but how much easier for everyone, including their phone reps if they had just added a short disclaimer about the package - all or none?

Include me in the ignorant masses who do not know about how rate codes are applied. :D

This promotion was a no-brainer for us. Our drink package on our upcoming 19-Day Panama cruise would have cost us over $2100.00, or we could have had a $500.00 credit. Even if one doesn't drink alcohol, it's hot in Panama!:eek: it's nice to have unlimited bottled water, mocktails, and iced coffees.

OP, in your situation I would look at it this way. If you take the $400 credit and divide it by 15 days, that would equal $26.66 per day. If you think that the two of you will spend more than that on beverages per day, then both passengers take the drink package. If you think you would spend less than that, then both passengers take the shipboard credit.

Absolutely agree. We got a cheaper rate on our cruise by not taking the "sale" and beverage package and going with a TA's group rate...worked for us:D

a) Any promotion by Princess can be also obtained with a TA even if included in their group rate and thus still get the group rate savings.

b) Do not expect the price to come down when the Sip and Sail sale ends. Cruise lines, including Princess, are trying to maintain pricing without discounting and having "sales" that include different amounts of amenities instead.

c) Others have reported that pricing during this promotion has been lower than, higher than or the same as what they paid when they booked before this sale.

I agree...I cannot drink anymore either because of meds. But, as well said above, I think I can still enjoy the package. Just for the gallons of seltzer that I love and a virgin drink now and then!! BTW, does anyone know if Princess carries n/a beer??

I hope it's not impolite to ask, but, what medications don't allow you to drink while taking them:confused:

I agree with Caribill: a) Any promotion by Princess can be also obtained with a TA even if included in their group rate and thus still get the group rate savings.

Even one of the "Big Box" discount stores is offering the Princess Sip & Sail Promo with a large amounts of OBC's at a good price.

a) Any promotion by Princess can be also obtained with a TA even if included in their group rate and thus still get the group rate savings.

We had no luck with that:confused:. Tried our trusted regular TA (who discounts) and 3 others. Each gave us a rate with the Beverage package and a much lower rate without the beverage package. All stated they could not give the drastic price reduction (over $1000) plus the package:(.

To all who got both, good for you:):)

Edited by Happy2cruise

We had no luck with that:confused:. Tried our trusted regular TA (who discounts) and 3 others. Each gave us a rate with the Beverage package and a much lower rate without the beverage package. All stated they could not give the drastic price reduction (over $1000) plus the package:(.

To all who got both, good for you:):)

I think both of you are true. If you book the sip and sail promotion, you can probably combine it with a TA group space to get their OBC.

I have no doubt that TAs can quote this cruise with out this promo. For example - there was a promo that Princess was running with non-refundable deposits. My TA was able to switch to a different set of pricing which did not include the current promotion and non-refundable pricing and the prices were different which also included her group space.

I hope it's not impolite to ask, but, what medications don't allow you to drink while taking them:confused:

Well for me, I'm on targeted chemotherapy. But there are lots of meds that don't play well with alcohol!

Absolutely agree. We got a cheaper rate on our cruise by not taking the "sale" and beverage package and going with a TA's group rate...worked for us:D

Exactly. I'm in the same situation as the OP. I don't drink enough to make the $56 a day work. So, we booked a cruise with the drink package and then contacted our TA and found that the rate was much lower without the drink package With her discount we saved more than what the drink package would cost. The OP may want to check with a god discount TA to see how much the cruise would be without the drink package. This strategy worked for us on the cruise we booked but may not work for other cruises or for those who would get the benefit from the drink package. Every situation is different.

Some meds that deal with irregular heartbeats, some that deal with mood swings, some that deal with chemo as another poster mentioned. This certainly isn't complete but is what comes to mind right now.

I think both of you are true. If you book the sip and sail promotion, you can probably combine it with a TA group space to get their OBC.

I have no doubt that TAs can quote this cruise with out this promo. For example - there was a promo that Princess was running with non-refundable deposits. My TA was able to switch to a different set of pricing which did not include the current promotion and non-refundable pricing and the prices were different which also included her group space.

I'm surprised to hear that there would be two different prices....with and without the Promo. Isn't the promo supposed to be FREE with balcony and above? The price I got from my TA is still lower than what Princess is selling the balcony for and I haven't seen any real differences between all the various TAs?

Are you saying that if I call Princess and ask for the price without the promo, I will get a different lower price? :confused:

That's what I was going to suggest too.

Actually we got this promotion too and on our personalizer, this is what it says below:

Beverage Packages

Package Type Quantity Price Package Purchased By

All-Inclusive Beverage Package 1 $1,183.35 Compliments Of for: Charles Complimentary Gift

All-Inclusive Beverage Package 1 $1,183.35 Compliments Of for: Susan Complimentary Gift

Cancellation Policy: You may cancel 72 hours before your cruise for full refund. Complimentary gifts are non-transferable and do not follow guests who change promotions prior to cruising. The gift is not redeemable for cash and expires at the end of the voyage.

Not sure if by "cash" they mean OBC?

I just went and checked mine after seeing this and you are correct, it states Compliments of for: Carolyn etc.

Since it's worth $394.45 per person, our price would have to go way down before I would change it.

Consider yourselves lucky. Princess will not extend the Sip & Sail Promotion to us Aussie Cruisers . . . I have asked. They do not think that we get thirsty enough!!!!

I would guess that they think you might get TOO thirsty. :rolleyes: You have to drink an awful lot to break even on these packages if you pay the going rate.

However, we did take it for our upcoming New England/Canada cruise just because it is free. We have never been able to justify the normal price. Just don't drink that much.

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

I just went and checked mine after seeing this and you are correct, it states Compliments of for: Carolyn etc.

Since it's worth $394.45 per person, our price would have to go way down before I would change it.

Well you can see what ours is worth!! It's for 21 days!! :D