Sip and sail disappointment.

lindasuej

Booked a Panama Canal cruise with the sip and sail promotion. It says it is available for guest 1&2 in the room. If the all inclusive beverage package is not wanted then a $200 OBC per person can be taken instead. I can drink so I want this but due to hubby's medications he cannot drink. So I want the drink package and he wants the OBC. They are telling me it can't be split. Either both have the OBC or both the drink package. That isn't what it shows on the promotion. I asked for a supervisor and She then hung up on me. I called back and again asked for a supervisor. Supposedly got one and she told me the same thing. I asked for her supervisor and was told that they will tell me the same thing. How do they know that. Are they a mind reader? They are out until Monday. I had to leave a voice mail because no where at reservation is ther a supervisors supervisor working on a Sat. I am very frustrated. ( thanks for letting me vent) Linda

If you purchase the AIBP, the 2nd person doesn't need to purchase the package.

However, this is a promotion and since you have accepted the promotion, both have to either get the package or cash. It can't be split between two passengers in the same cabin. If you were booked in separate cabins, you'd be able to each decide what you want.

My suggestion is to accept the AIBP for the promotion and he can either enjoy any non-alcoholic beverage and get some value or he can go to the Passenger Services Desk and ask for the OBC once onboard.

It is possible that they are telling you that the next person up the chain of command will give you the same answer ...because that is the right answer. You ask "how do they know that?" Well, maybe because that is the way it works. If you ask person #1 what day it is and they tell you Saturday, and you ask to speak to a supervisor and the person says: "He or she will tell you the same thing", there is no need to ask: "How do they know that?"

Take the OBC and buy the all inclusive package once you get on board. They will sell it to you the moment you board.

They are willing to give you $400 credit for both of you. Would you really drink more then that?

I don't know, having been on a 15 day Panama Canal cruise with 10 sea days, it would have been nice to have the AIBP (but when I sailed that wasn't offered). We didn't drink much, but my aunt also picked up almost all the tabs anyway. My next cruise (that I booked through Sip and Sail) has far fewer sea days and I'm sure I won't rack up a crazy bill at all, but it will be nice on our honeymoon not to think about what drinks cost and also not have to pack any bottles of water like we did last time.

If a doctor provided a medical note of sorts to explain why he cannot partake in the alcohol (and therefore not really use the AIBP for its true worth) maybe Princess would let it slide?

We have booked a British Isles cruise with this promotion.

Neither DH or I drink alcoholic drinks.

However,we do drink a lot of water,seltzer,mock cocktails and specialty coffee drinks which are all covered with this package.

We see the value in this promotion for our needs.

We have booked a British Isles cruise with this promotion.

Neither DH or I drink alcoholic drinks.

However,we do drink a lot of water,seltzer,mock cocktails and specialty coffee drinks which are all covered with this package.

We see the value in this promotion for our needs.

I agree...I cannot drink anymore either because of meds. But, as well said above, I think I can still enjoy the package. Just for the gallons of seltzer that I love and a virgin drink now and then!! BTW, does anyone know if Princess carries n/a beer??

We can drink that many on board drinks. No I am not an alcoholic. In fact I usually only have 1-5 drinks in a year but when I am on a cruise I like to experiment with different drinks that I have never had before. If I don't like it at least I haven't thrown away $10 bucks

As for how do they know what a manager will say I think it is rude of them to say that. Yes, Saturday is Saturday and that will not change but there is a gray line here. No where does it state in the policy that both have to take the OBC or both have to take the drink package. Implied doesn't mean it is. Example, Christmas is coming. Does that mean gifts.? Yes. But not always.

By no means am I reading that any of you are posting negative comments and I thank you all for your opinions. But I just don't see how they can get away implying something. Linda

I agree...I cannot drink anymore either because of meds. But, as well said above, I think I can still enjoy the package. Just for the gallons of seltzer that I love and a virgin drink now and then!! BTW, does anyone know if Princess carries n/a beer??

Yes, Princess carries n/a beer.

You don't need to drink alcohol. There are, as mentioned in the post above, many other drinks covered with the AIBP. It's free so why not take it and drink all the other drinks it offers?

Take the OBC and buy the all inclusive package once you get on board. They will sell it to you the moment you board.

Both sound like good solutions to me.

I called a TA to check about pricing when this promotion started and the TA told me about the options and mentioned that both passengers in the cabin must select the same option. Still seems like a good promotion.

I've booked two cruises for 2016 with the AIBP. My friend also doesn't drink but will certainly use it at the IC for coffees and for bottled water etc at dinner. To me the amount of credit that they are offering in lieu of the package is not worth it. You can always get some nice non-alcoholic drink to substitute. :cool:

...there is a gray line here.

Not really. The promotion is the promotion. Just because it seems like a "round peg program" to your "square hole needs" doesn't mean that the situation is gray. They are waving a solution in front of you which is to take the OBC and buy the package individually once on board.

Not really. The promotion is the promotion. Just because it seems like a "round peg program" to your "square hole needs" doesn't mean that the situation is gray. They are waving a solution in front of you which is to take the OBC and buy the package individually once on board.

All the people advocating for her to take the OBC and buy the package seem to be forgetting the price of one package is more than both of their combined OBC.

I totally get the frustration, OP, but I think that the bottles of water, non-alcoholic beverages, etc. will make up at least some for the inability to have alcohol! And coffee. :)

I think, in the world TODAY, people seem to lose sight of certain facts. Princess is GIVING customers this package to book a cruise. In my case, princess lowered the price of the cruise AND gave me aibp. I understand , you want to get the most for your money but it's FREE. People are SO used to getting , getting ,getting. Please don't take this ugly, I just think that maybe the complete lack of customer service today is THE issue. Not how to get the most freebies. I agree with other comments...take the free package, in the spirit it was intended and have him drink... cokes, coffee and bottle water. I know I can drink at least 3bottles of water a day.

I would take the drink package for both passengers. There are many drinks (non alcoholic) that your husband can enjoy. Fresh squeezed orange juice (breakfast and whenever!), cappuccinos and lattes, Perrier, soda, etc. The value of the drink package surpasses the OBC. It is over $106 per day for 2. Let it be.

Not sure why Princess does not state this on their website...it does say "guest" not "guests"....leading one to believe each guest can choose their option.

The website leaves much to be desired. They never proofread the thing, I'm convinced. :)

The drink package promo is a Rate Code , the OBC promo is a different Rate Code .

You can only have 1 Rate Code per booking(cabin) .

All the Princess people are telling the OP the same answer which is the only answer . It is what it is no matter how many times you call .

Edited by MCC retired

The website leaves much to be desired. They never proofread the thing, I'm convinced. :)

Definitely agree with you there...just saying...if another website spells it out...you think Princess website would too...would help avoid disappointed passengers as the OP