Majesty of The Seas - Faulty Life Jackets, Stuck in Port

Lurch104

Onboard the MoTS. Failed Coast Guard inspection due to faulty or missing life jackets and other problems. Can't leave port until tomorrow. No activites, shops closed, no live music. This blows. I think Capt. Matthias is going to have a bad time with corporate very shortly. Not liking this ship at all nor this cruise so far. And this is coming from someone who loves the small ships. Grandeur is my favorite.

Edited by Lurch104
Spelling

Yep, this is not starting out well. I could understand an "issue", but there is nothing else going on. Just a dead ship tied to the pier. I would get off and stay in town if the brow/gangplank was in place.

Hopefully they get some entertainment or something going.

Oh no! My father in law and his wife are on that ship. I wonder how this will affect the itinerary?

They will update us on the schedule tomorrow. Nothing as of yet. Captain sounded like his puppy died when making the announcement. Still better than a day at work, we will make the best of it. Already booked my next cruise and still love RCI, but I won't be on this ship again.

They will update us on the schedule tomorrow. Nothing as of yet. Captain sounded like his puppy died when making the announcement. Still better than a day at work, we will make the best of it. Already booked my next cruise and still love RCI, but I won't be on this ship again.

Ive been on Majesty... while it is older, it should be an OK ship... Faulty lifejackets could have happened on the new Harmony too, I guess. Anyway, there is no excuse for that kind of a delay, regardless of the ship.

Mechanical issues cannot be helped sometimes... faulty lifejackets CAN be.

Makes you wonder how long it has been that way since a (probably random) inspection discovered it

I was just explaining this to my wife. No excuse for a failure of this sort. PMS needs to be taken seriously. Life jackets were what they announced but he said "other technical issues" as well. I am a Navy man and understand the complexity of the propulsion system; failures there can't be helped sometimes. Substandard safety equipment should have serious repercussions; this should never happen.

I was just explaining this to my wife. No excuse for a failure of this sort. PMS needs to be taken seriously. Life jackets were what they announced but he said "other technical issues" as well. I am a Navy man and understand the complexity of the propulsion system; failures there can't be helped sometimes. Substandard safety equipment should have serious repercussions; this should never happen.

PMS?!?!?!? :eek:

PMS?!?!?!? :eek:

Lol. Navy term. Stands for "Preventative Maintenance Schedule". Basically, routine maintenance and inspection of just about everything.

FYI, just announced they will allow us to disembark for the evening.

Onboard the MoTS. Failed Coast Guard inspection due to faulty or missing life jackets and other problems. Can't leave port until tomorrow. No activites, shops closed, no live music. This blows. I think Capt. Matthias is going to have a bad time with corporate very shortly. Not liking this ship at all nor this cruise so far. And this is coming from someone who loves the small ships. Grandeur is my favorite.

Kudos to the Coast Guard.

Interesting that this ship undergoes this inspection twice a week, every week, but fails today. I wonder what is going on??

not factoring in 'other mechanical issues' the life jacket inspections are random,. they just check some of the spots where they are kept. so by law of averages it is possible that up until this point the locker that was not in compliance has been overlooked

Interesting that this ship undergoes this inspection twice a week, every week, but fails today. I wonder what is going on??

The Coast Guard do not inspect ships every time they homeport, it is usually a random inspection

Lol. Navy term. Stands for "Preventative Maintenance Schedule". Basically, routine maintenance and inspection of just about everything.

FYI, just announced they will allow us to disembark for the evening.

Got the general idea, US ARMY Retired here. In our branch it's "Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services (PMCS)"

Entertainment back on track earlier this evening. There was about a 1.5 hour lull while they got things sorted out.

Announced that we will make both scheduled ports, but lose a sea day.

Announcement made that Schooner and Boleros will have free drinks for a few hours. Dance party moved from disco to pool deck. I saw the CG poking around there with the maintenance crew.

No mention of obc, compensation, or refunds. I guess this is still developing. Losing 1/4 of a cruise is more than a couple of drinks in my opinion, but we will see.