Say Goodbye to Statendam! (link to sale ad provided)

InTheWASide

I "thought" several of HAL smaller ships were for sale. Wasn't there a large thread about that a year or so ago? Or I am wrong ... which happens. :eek:

:) Your memory is good.

We've had several conversations about the "S" class ships being offered for sale.

Many thought HAL would welcome the sale of Statendam and Veendam as the first to go.

Don't know if they are right or not but suspect they likely are. :)

Well saying that she is going Bye Bye in the very near future does not mean it will happen quickly because she is listed for sale in this format. In this same place the NCL Sky has been listed For Sale on and off over the past two years on Yachtworld.com with no takers. I am guessing it costs to list a ship for sale on this sight because it does not stay up there all the time HAL has been actively attempting to sell at least 2 of not all 4 of the S Class Ships and has had no takers. This has been attempted now for over 2 years. My Guess is they made need to come down on their price a weee bit ;)

I kind of assume, which is typically always dangerous, that HAL and the larger Carnival Corp has considered all sorts of alternatives before listing the Statendam this way. They apparently have no obvious buyer and you'd think they'd put the word out to other, maybe smaller and less robust, lines that might be interested in a ship like the Statendam and got no takers or at least no company willing to pay the asking price. Hopefully they'll sell her soon, better that than see her laid up somewhere rusting and rotting away.

Do you think they would accept $1,500 cash?

Hey listen, if we can get 266 people to kick in 500K each, we can own this thing.

Maybe we could steal Copper 10-8 from HAL for head of security!

Wonder what it costs to fill it up at the pump?:D

Hey listen, if we can get 266 people to kick in 500K each, we can own this thing.

Maybe we could steal Copper 10-8 from HAL for head of security!

Wonder what it costs to fill it up at the pump?:D

A cruise ship is like a marriage.

It's not the initial cost, it's the upkeep. ;)

Happy V day to one and all.

Bob:)

It has been listed for sale for many months as Linda&Vern and Sails have mentioned. There was discussion of it here more than a year ago.

FWIW, our fondest memories of cruising were on Veendam. :)

The Veendam was my first HAL cruise ship, and I will always have a fondness for her.:) But she was also much younger and in better shape in those days...... as was I.:D

Statendam was my first modern HAL ship and my first real cruise when we sailed on her in November of 1993. Have come to like Volendam and Zaandam more for their mid-ship elevators. Still, there is a place in my heart that belongs to MS Statendam.

My favorite part is where the sale ad displays a vista class penthouse, signature suites and lanai rooms all of which don't exist onboard. Yet this is a legit ad, I've had that confirmed by people in the know at the HQ.

Might be VEENDAM....although she was built/launched a year later...but does have the lanai and AQ staterooms....

I'd bet HAL would sell any ship if the price was right ... but just because there's an ad doesn't mean there's any interested buyers.

I'd say that with an asking price of $133ML...''good luck'' !!! If someone comes along and gives HAL that amount of $$$, I bet hey'll jump on it!!!

I'm surprised that it would be advertised in such a way. Next they'll put it on Craig's List.:eek:

I don't find it surprising? HAL is not advertising it.. A Marine Broker is advertising it & that is the way most boats, yachts & ships are sold.. Ship Brokers do a lot of advertising on the Internet..That's the best way to get world wide coverage for their inventory..They have several hundred cruise ships for sale on that sight..

We bought our boat which was advertised on a similar Internet sight many years ago & we sold it the same way, but we were able to sell it privately..If it had not sold with-in 6 months we were going to list it with a Marine Broker for a fee..

Newsprint advertising for boats & ships went by the wayside years ago, as it does not reach enough people who would be interested..The Statendam will probably be sold to a new start up cruise line or one which wants to expand, but it could be a few years before it leaves HAL's fleet....

Edited by serendipity1499