OMG - will HAL ships become shopping malls?

arzz

:eek:

Just got a mariner survey from HAL. I am not supposed to forward it or post links but I can certainly discuss it.

It was all about shopping on board. There was an incredibly detailed list of questions about what we spend in port and on the ship and what and how we spent our money in the ship' shops.

Finally they proposed a few "new" ideas that they wanted my reaction to.

First idea, name brand shops on board like Gucci or others. Then they proposed more special sale events, two hours sales with merchandise only offered once. Sales of local souvenir items on board and finally -- this is the one that sends me overboard:

Shops that appear temporarily all over the ship selling items that you might wish to buy and use in that area of the ship.

Frankly folks, I do not cruise to shop. I consider the on board shops a convenience for items that I require and do not have to buy in port, or items that I need right now. In addition I usually buy a couple of souvenirs - like I appreciate the "floating cruise ship pens" - they used to have the name of the ship on them and I bought one each time I cruised.

I know others shop more seriously on board and I have no problem with that.

What I would have a problem with would be the proliferation of on board shops "in my face" all over the ship. That might send me overboard.

Anyone else receive this survey? Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Just filled it out. They asked how much you spent on shopping. I said $50. I don't think I am the person they wanted to hear from, lol. I also don't cruise to shop, onboard or in port. But, that did seem to be the focus of the survey.

I did not get the survey, and hope if I do that there is a lot of space for comments.

I don't like to shop when at home, and like it less on the ships. I can spend entire cruises staying out of their shops. What I can't do easily is avoid the space the shops take over outside their doors, and even worse, up by the Lido pool. When they do this, it totally jams up the area, making passage through just about impossible.

If the idea is that there would be even more of these cramped quarters, then it would be a worse restriction, and impediment on movement. Ugg. :mad:

I understand the concept of generating revenue with on-board spending, but I take a cruise to relax, and enjoy the sea/the cruising experience. If I want to go to the mall, there's one at home, and I don't have to pay the per diem.

They did, finally, have a space for an open ended comment. They got a carefully (and strongly) worded reply from me.

I remember how the art auctions took over the ships - what an intrusion that was. Now will it be shopping venues?

Edited by arzz

I don't think that anyone cruises to shop on board. However, for some it may be a pleasant diversion. I did buy my Citizen watch while on board the Oosterdam. The price was as good as any on line, and I could handle the watch (didn't have to buy from a picture).

No one is forcing you to shop or overeat for that matter. If HAL can make a few extra bucks so they can slow down on the cutbacks that we have come to expect - and detest - good for HAL. As for you complainers, get a life!

No survey here.

What they are ostensibly proposing is all fine with me, because I am really good and experienced at ignoring what I don't like/want.

Not that I like the idea of HAL cluttering up the ship this way, but it will presumably bring in more revenue and that "should" translate into keeping HAL's cruise pricing the good value it is.

I thought Holland America already had special sales events with sales around the pool, bottled water at the gangway, and tables set up outside the shops.

There are people who have to buy something everywhere they go. Questions about shopping and "must buys" abound. Some cruisers believe what the shopping lecturer tells them. I can not see that Gucci would offer any bargains on a ship, but if shoppers were sensible they would not pay more per gallon for bottled water than they do for gasoline.

If onboard sales help subsidize my low cruise prices, I am all for it. I hope they stay out of my way.

I don't cruise to shop. I have never bought more than a sundry item like a pocket book or a chocolate bar. I would not get excited over more opportunities to buy stuff I neither want nor need.

Thanks for starting this thread arzz!:)

No survey received here. If we do receive one, I suspect our response would be in line with the comments submitted by arzz, RuthC and others. We don't cruise in order to go shopping.

Taking a page from arzz's former penchant for pens with ship names, we do indulge in a shot glass with a leaded picture & ship name during each sailing, which is not what we would term a 'big ticket item', LOL! :rolleyes: We have occasionally gone wild and purchased something from duty free liquor ;) and have even bought a Citizen's watch when one died on us and the price seemed okay. :cool:

On our last cruise on the Eurodam, 'sales' around the Lido Deck pool resulted in huge numbers of people waiting to ring up their purchases. For us and our friends in a nearby cabana, the people watching was fabulous! :D

I did not get the survey but I wish I had. I think the HAL shops are pretty bad. I would actually love to see some boutiques onboard carrying clothing other than a sweatshirt or tee with a Holland America logo. I think of it as a resort, and in such expect a few shops selling a wider variety of things....think The Greenbrier or The Homestead. Right now I'd say its the sundry shop at The Hampton Inn.

The new surveys - assuming you get one - automatically branch out based on your responses. If you answer certain questions certain ways, the survey engine responds with additional follow up questions. The survey can get really tedious if too much of this branching occurs.

DW didn't get any of the shopping questions, but I did. I only bought a few rolls of antacids - so I probably wasn't the target audience they were looking for.

Edited by POA1

I got the same email from Princess. Hal doesn't value my opinion. After a while the survey was so tedious I stopped filling it out.

We got the same email survey from Princess and HAL...quit when they started asking how much $$$ we spent.

I'm not a shopper either but I can think of a few items they could stock and that I would pay a mark up for:

SDHC cards or minis (popular items for the camera). If we were in a film world I'm sure they would be selling rolls of 35mm. But if you forget or fill a card you are spending port time trying to get one. ( and some ports that can be a challenge)

Better quality pens with ship names. I collect the blue ones. The last batch broke before I got home. I'm thinking quality of a Dr. Grip or better and a price range to $15. Maybe some of a better quality. How about a tablet stylus with ship logo?

On out Antarctica trip there were NO Antarctica tshirts available. None. That scores a real "needs improvement" in my book. I had been planning on bringing some back after seeing the ones Princess sold.... And HAL. offered. None.

How about nice canvas totes? Better quality than the ones they used to give away. And close it with a zipper and add gussets.

I happen to like fabric and embroidered patches and buy them when we go certain places. They go on my day packs. ( I have been making these with my machine for our RCs but I wouldn't if HAL had them for sale.)

HAL china- we've talked about this one in other threads. How about order on board and it gets shipped to your home? No added baggage, etc. (and you can be sure it didn't "walk away" which you can't be certain of if you buy off eBay).

Edited by TiogaCruiser

I'm not a shopper either but I can think of a few items they could stock and that I would pay a mark up for:

SDHC cards or minis (popular items for the camera). If we were in a film world I'm sure they would be selling rolls of 35mm. But if you forget or fill a card you are spending port time trying to get one. ( and some ports that can be a challenge)

Better quality pens with ship names. I collect the blue ones. The last batch broke before I got home. I'm thinking quality of a Dr. Grip or better and a price range to $15. Maybe some of a better quality. How about a tablet stylus with ship logo?

On out Antarctica trip there were NO Antarctica tshirts available. None. That scores a real "needs improvement" in my book. I had been planning on bringing some back after seeing the ones Princess sold.... And HAL. offered. None.

How about nice canvas totes? Better quality than the ones they used to give away. And close it with a zipper and add gussets.

I happen to like fabric and embroidered patches and buy them when we go certain places. They go on my day packs. ( I have been making these with my machine for our RCs but I wouldn't if HAL had them for sale.)

HAL china- we've talked about this one in other threads. How about order on board and it gets shipped to your home? No added baggage, etc. (and you can be sure it didn't "walk away" which you can't be certain of if you buy off eBay).

I should have let you fill out my survey. :D

If you get the survey and don't finish it (yes it is VERY tedious) then HAL will not get your feedback. I persisted though I got increasingly upset -- just so I could tell them how I feel.

that I would pay a mark up for:

Did you try the photo gallery? I bought one there once about 5 years ago ... I think it was on the Eurodam, but I'm not positive. It was a terrible price compared to land, but at least I didn't have to spend shore time looking.