Why Azamara?

chrismakris

Hello all.

My wife and I are planning our 10 year anniversary and are thinking about a European cruise. We want to do a higher end cruise with a pre-cruise and a 1 week to 10 day post cruise.

We would like to know why you choose Azamara and if there are any cons. I know there will be many answers so I thank you for taking your time and answering my question.

We are cruising with Azamara in Nov -Dec this year for the first time. We picked the line mainly for its ports of call & because the costings are mostly all inclusive. Look forward to reading others responses.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Hello all.

My wife and I are planning our 10 year anniversary and are thinking about a European cruise. We want to do a higher end cruise with a pre-cruise and a 1 week to 10 day post cruise.

We would like to know why you choose Azamara and if there are any cons. I know there will be many answers so I thank you for taking your time and answering my question.

Hi Chris,

When we sailed on Azamara, it was all about the officers and crew. They are incredible, and made the cruise a memory of a lifetime. I've been on a lot of cruises, and nothing compares with Azamara's onboard team. They work extremely hard to keep their guests happy. The MDR cuisine was excellent as well, and we were very impressed with their 2 specialty venues - Prime C & Aqualina. They are perfect for a special occasion, such as an Anniversary celebration !

Some negatives - though *none* of the following is a deal breaker : the 2 ships are on the older side - though well maintained. The Non-Suite cabin bathrooms (i.e. inside/oceanview/veranda) are fairly small, especially if you are a person of size. The entertainment is good to very good, but don't expect to see the mega production shows, that you would experience on larger ships. Think of it more as Caberet style entertainment. As you are sailing in Europe, entertainment may not matter as much as other regions, but I'm trying to share details, to help you make an informed decision.

If you have specific questions, please feel free to ask. I hope this helps, and let us know if you book Azamara. All the best to you !

Edited by Host Andy

Azamara is different. All higher end cruiselines will give you a quality cruise and I have done Cunard Grills, Oceania, Silversea and am about to do a Crystal cruise in a few weeks, so I can compare. A cruise on Azamara is so much more than visiting ports and eating good food. It has been described as giving you "a warm and fuzzy feeling" but that's definitely not it either. It is the feeling of camaraderie with the wonderful crew who really do become friends, the long stays in port with the opportunity to see them in the evening, the lovely fellow passengers who are so friendly, well travelled and interesting but more than that....it's the wonderful onboard experience that is really guest focused and so efficient. Nothing is too much trouble for the crew and they genuinely want you to have a great time. I have found Azamara crews to be the happiest on any ship and because they are happy and well treated then it shows in their attitudes to us.

The cabins are small, the bathrooms are tiny but the ships are very well maintained. If you are like most Azamara guests then the small cabins will fade into insignificance compared to the wonderful onboard experience. If a luxurious cabin is what matters to you then consider Silversea or a Penthouse and above on Oceania. Your cruise will still be wonderful on either cruiseline.....but it won't be "Azamazing".....sorry folks, I dislike that word too but in this case it seems appropriate. :D

Lottie and Andy have given you very good insights. And yes, the words crew, crew, crew come to mind

I would add if Europe sights are important to you Azamara is a great option, they are able as smaller ships to dock closer to town and because they stay longer in port (they tend to do less sea miles than other lines) you are able to explore further afield or you can go back ashore in the evening (a great way to experience real Europe)

The event once a cruise, the Azamazing Evening, has had mixed reviews, a few teething problems in some places, but I have loved the evenings we have been at, all a little different and it's nice having someone else work out a special evening ashore for you.

It is an advantage that so much is included, not because I subscribe to the zero onboard bills school, (quite the opposite :rolleyes:) but because the crews time is dedicated to looking after you, they don't have to waste time getting charges signed off or reconciling tills.

The two additional charge restaurants on board are very nice, as it's a special cruise you may well want to dine in both or enjoy the special Chefs Table dinners offered a few times each cruise. The additional charge is far less than charged on lines like Celebrity.

We are about to embark on our 8th Azamara cruise with 4 more booked so it really works for us!

Edited by uktog

And it works for me too! I returned from my 9th Azamara cruise last Monday.

Yes, sometimes I would like a larger bathroom and a slightly larger veranda cabin but these things fade into insignificance when compared with the welcoming and super crew and officers. Nothing is too much trouble for them.

On my most recent cruise to be honest I found the entertainment which is always low key to be a little under par but did it spoil my cruise? Not for a second. As always fellow guests were a delight and there was always someone interesting to chat to poolside or in Mosaic (the coffee bar)

I hope you decide to book Azamara as I am sure you will enjoy a memorable Anniversary cruise.

Azamara is different. All higher end cruiselines will give you a quality cruise and I have done Cunard Grills, Oceania, Silversea and am about to do a Crystal cruise in a few weeks, so I can compare. A cruise on Azamara is so much more than visiting ports and eating good food. It has been described as giving you "a warm and fuzzy feeling" but that's definitely not it either. It is the feeling of camaraderie with the wonderful crew who really do become friends, the long stays in port with the opportunity to see them in the evening, the lovely fellow passengers who are so friendly, well travelled and interesting but more than that....it's the wonderful onboard experience that is really guest focused and so efficient. Nothing is too much trouble for the crew and they genuinely want you to have a great time. I have found Azamara crews to be the happiest on any ship and because they are happy and well treated then it shows in their attitudes to us.

The cabins are small, the bathrooms are tiny but the ships are very well maintained. If you are like most Azamara guests then the small cabins will fade into insignificance compared to the wonderful onboard experience. If a luxurious cabin is what matters to you then consider Silversea or a Penthouse and above on Oceania. Your cruise will still be wonderful on either cruiseline.....but it won't be "Azamazing".....sorry folks, I dislike that word too but in this case it seems appropriate. :D

Lottie,

The thing you didn't mention is that one of the reasons you have such a great time with Azamara is that you usually go with me!!! LOL

I missed your company so much this time but here's to later in the year

Lottie,

The thing you didn't mention is that one of the reasons you have such a great time with Azamara is that you usually go with me!!! LOL

I missed your company so much this time but here's to later in the year

:D:D:D

How could I fail to mention my cruising buddy? You certainly do make a cruise a lot of fun! Just our two "little issues" to be sorted and we can hopefully be having another great cruise soon.

I did a lot of homework before taking our first ever cruise on Azamara. We did not want a large ship and lots of razzmatazz.

The Azamara ships are small and elegant. The dining is great! The itineraries are very well planned and the time in port is usually longer than other ships. There were no surprises such as docking in a port on a day where many museums were closed.

The crew are fabulous but I did not really know about that when booking the first time. We did not know about the wonderful wine conoisseur meals so they were a great bonus.

The fellow passengers were on the ship to travel and to do it in some style. We met some great people.

I've read what everyone else has said and thought about what I could add. The thing that comes to mind immediately is that your fellow passengers are not pretentious. Some might be quite wealthy, but you're not going to hear "Oh your trip to France sounds just lovely. Now let us tell you about OUR 3 week stay in Bhutan." None of that oneupsmanship. Azamara passengers generally know enough to leave the good jewelry at home. Class not flash.

Our 15th and 16th Azamara cruises are coming up in August and we can't wait to be back on the Journey. For all the reasons cited by the previous posters, it feels like coming home.

We are considering ACC for the first time. As veterans of Cunard (QE2, Coronia, QM2), HAL, and Regent (our favorite small ship so far), how does ACC stack up?

Thanks!

Don in Chicagoland

It is possible to have a great cruise and leave the ship with a zero onboard account.

YES!! I booked my Azamara cruise through American Express travel so I received a $300 onboard credit - when I left the ship I had a $26 credit to my name!! That has never happened before!! (or since!!)

YES!! I booked my Azamara cruise through American Express travel so I received a $300 onboard credit - when I left the ship I had a $26 credit to my name!! That has never happened before!! (or since!!)

I'd have spent that!;)

I've read what everyone else has said and thought about what I could add. The thing that comes to mind immediately is that your fellow passengers are not pretentious. Some might be quite wealthy, but you're not going to hear "Oh your trip to France sounds just lovely. Now let us tell you about OUR 3 week stay in Bhutan." None of that oneupsmanship. Azamara passengers generally know enough to leave the good jewelry at home. Class not flash.

Our 15th and 16th Azamara cruises are coming up in August and we can't wait to be back on the Journey. For all the reasons cited by the previous posters, it feels like coming home.

Our first European cruise was with Regent and I did feel a bit of the pretentiousness you describe. Our next was with Azamara and we knew we had found our perfect fit. Yes the cabin on Regent was far superior and more spacious but the warmth of the crew and fellow guests on Azamara trumps that. The food we found equally good, with far better service in Azamaras main dining room . We also love both Aqualina and Prime C, with very modest up charges. We have loved the ports and docking in the heart of cities like Seville and Bordeaux. Looking so forward to our next Azamara cruise in just over a month.

We like Celebrity, particularly the Summit out of San Juan, for a Carribbean winter cruise, but picture being loyal to Azamara in Europe indefinitely.

Our first European cruise was with Regent and I did feel a bit of the pretentiousness you describe. Our next was with Azamara and we knew we had found our perfect fit. Yes the cabin on Regent was far superior and more spacious but the warmth of the crew and fellow guests on Azamara trumps that. The food we found equally good, with far better service in Azamaras main dining room .
I agree. We've done two Regent cruises and have a third booked this coming November, and will take our 9th, 10th, and 11th Azamara cruises on Journey this June.

Yes, the so-called Regent "suite" is spacious but at that time it was decorated in hideous brown, rust, and orange colors. Recent drydocks may have changed that, one would hope, on Seven Seas Mariner. Senior officers tried their best to remain invisible, and there was nowhere near the personal engagement with passengers we've found on our eight Azamara cruises.

OP asked this same question on the Regent board and it's humorous to read some of the gushing responses. And, yes, there is some of that "pretentiousness" to be found among passengers on Regent. There was more than a bit of the "I can afford Regent so why would I cruise with anyone else" attitude.

One significant difference is that the only alternative to a sit-down dinner on Regent is room service. The buffet turns into an Italian restaurant at dinner so there really is no place to go to get a quick, serve-yourself bite in a casual environment.

I thought it was just me with Regent feeling I was a lower citizen because I left my large diamonds at home and did not have a Burbery sun hat.

This will be our first Azamara and that is one reason we have chosen it, glad to hear the comments.

Thanks

I thought it was just me with Regent feeling I was a lower citizen because I left my large diamonds at home and did not have a Burbery sun hat.

This will be our first Azamara and that is one reason we have chosen it, glad to hear the comments.

Thanks

You mean you sailed on Regent without a Burberry sun hat !!!!LOL

On Azamara nobody will care what sun hat you wear or even if you don't wear one at all. Guests and crew are so friendly and are only concerned that you have the best vacation possible.

Enjoy your first Azamara cruise

We sailed the Azamara Quest twice in 2013 . We loved the British Open Cruise but hated the balcony cabin. Our next cruise was the Caribbean...loved the cabin as we upgraded to a suite but disliked the cruise. We had the same crew etc as the British Open but the passenger demographics were completely different. We'll not sail the Caribbean again on a ship less than 2000 passengers. We like cruises where the passengers are of all ages and very active.

I have sailed a large ship in Ausstralia and the makeup was mostly AU and elderly not so active. I have found that the area, the length and ports sites and activities determines the shipboard demographics.

And to give yet another example of how this crew goes out of its way for you, one night - it was the big buffet night! - I didn't like the white wine of the day but when I told the waiter that I DID like yesterday's selection he asked for my patience as he went down two decks to fetch me a bottle of that wine. THIS in the midst of incredible hubbub - the big buffet night is a big big deal.

You can't get better than that. AND you get it without stiffness, without over-familiarity - their touch is JUST RIGHT!

Enjoy your cruise!

And to give yet another example of how this crew goes out of its way for you, one night - it was the big buffet night! - I didn't like the white wine of the day but when I told the waiter that I DID like yesterday's selection he asked for my patience as he went down two decks to fetch me a bottle of that wine. THIS in the midst of incredible hubbub - the big buffet night is a big big deal.

You can't get better than that. AND you get it without stiffness, without over-familiarity - their touch is JUST RIGHT!

Enjoy your cruise!

Not to change the subject, but what is the big buffet night? I was not aware of any "big buffet" and we were on an 11 night cruise. :confused:

To the OP...the only "con" I can think of is if you want a loud, boisterous, party type cruise, ACC is not for you. To me that is not a con but a pro...we never had the desire to cruise and mostly because of some of those "party type cruisers" we saw on islands in the Caribbean.

We booked our very first cruise with ACC because of an E-mail I received from my TA and the itinerary (DH always wanted to visit Sicily) and the cost was too good to turn down. It was a very last minute booking...we only had a few weeks to plan and it worked out so well, we fell in love with cruising and with ACC. I can't tell you how wonderful we were treated by the staff. One day when we were eating lunch, the Captain approached our table and asked if we minded if he joined us for lunch. I was amazed...no pun intended. On our X cruise, we didn't even see the Captain...not even at the roll call party. I won't go into any more detail since you asked for the cons.

I honestly think it's well worth it to try ACC...at least you will then know for yourself and not just what you read on CC. :) ;)

I agree. We've done two Regent cruises and have a third booked this coming November, and will take our 9th, 10th, and 11th Azamara cruises on Journey this June.

Yes, the so-called Regent "suite" is spacious but at that time it was decorated in hideous brown, rust, and orange colors. Recent drydocks may have changed that, one would hope, on Seven Seas Mariner. Senior officers tried their best to remain invisible, and there was nowhere near the personal engagement with passengers we've found on our eight Azamara cruises.

OP asked this same question on the Regent board and it's humorous to read some of the gushing responses. And, yes, there is some of that "pretentiousness" to be found among passengers on Regent. There was more than a bit of the "I can afford Regent so why would I cruise with anyone else" attitude.

One significant difference is that the only alternative to a sit-down dinner on Regent is room service. The buffet turns into an Italian restaurant at dinner so there really is no place to go to get a quick, serve-yourself bite in a casual environment.

Oh, you are so right...I read it and posted...people talking about the wonderful gym...if you're on a European cruise and you're hardly on the ship..is the gym really THAT important? :rolleyes:

I'm pasting one response I really had to laugh at. Goodness...I don't own a Porsche...this is definitely not a cruise line I would choose. :rolleyes: To me, I interpreted this as being quite snobbish...could be wrong though.

To begin, the boarding most often takes far less time than when boarding the mega-ships (God forbid), has a smaller crowd at the gate, and the walk onboard is yacht-like with a uniformed crew of young people smiling and waving all eager to serve. At the boarding hatch, your credit card becomes useless, everything has been purchased months earlier - while at home - and there will be absolutely no haggling at the end of the cruise with the front counter over bottles purchased or drinks consumed. It is a good feeling knowing the crew has been properly and fully 'tipped' by you before you backed the Porsche (whatever you car) out of the garage in Toledo or Houston (wherever your home).

Rockefeller or Kennedy never felt better on their own yachts than you do at this minute.

To the poster that mentioned the Burbery sun hat...is it Burbery or Burberry? I googled it and came up with a fragrance I use...Burberry Body. What is the importance of a Burbery sun hat? Is this supposed to be an affluent thing? :confused:

Oh, you are so right...I read it and posted...people talking about the wonderful gym...if you're on a European cruise and you're hardly on the ship..is the gym really THAT important? :rolleyes:

I'm pasting one response I really had to laugh at. Goodness...I don't own a Porsche...this is definitely not a cruise line I would choose. :rolleyes: To me, I interpreted this as being quite snobbish...could be wrong though.

To begin, the boarding most often takes far less time than when boarding the mega-ships (God forbid), has a smaller crowd at the gate, and the walk onboard is yacht-like with a uniformed crew of young people smiling and waving all eager to serve. At the boarding hatch, your credit card becomes useless, everything has been purchased months earlier - while at home - and there will be absolutely no haggling at the end of the cruise with the front counter over bottles purchased or drinks consumed. It is a good feeling knowing the crew has been properly and fully 'tipped' by you before you backed the Porsche (whatever you car) out of the garage in Toledo or Houston (wherever your home).

Rockefeller or Kennedy never felt better on their own yachts than you do at this minute.

To the poster that mentioned the Burbery sun hat...is it Burbery or Burberry? I googled it and came up with a fragrance I use...Burberry Body. What is the importance of a Burbery sun hat? Is this supposed to be an affluent thing? :confused:

LOL. Burberry is a British brand. Designer wear, if you had a sun hat then this would be your matching beach bag;)Burberry-3805009-Medium-Haymarket-Check-Belted-Hobo-Bag-P14819156.jpg

Phil