Cruising and Ebola

NauticalNelle

Is anyone else afraid that it is only a matter of time before the first case of ebola breaks out on a ship and that is the end of the cruise industry?

Since the US is welcoming 150 travelers a day from W. Africa with open arms, it is only a matter of time before it becomes more of a problem than it already is.

I'm terrified! :eek:

Wow, that's really stretching it - I think there are many more things to worry about than having the cruise industry shut down due to ebola. If something happened that we couldn't ever cruise, we'd simply make the change and vacation in other ways. Life's too short to worry about the "what if's".

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

The airline industry would be ruined far before the cruise industry.

By the way, that "150 people a day" is from the entire land mass of Africa, not from the only three countries involved.

My prediction. ..this thread will get yanked far sooner than any damage to the cruise industry.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I am sure the cruise industry will keep a careful eye on the situation. Already West Africa ports of call have been cancelled. It is impossible to eradicate all risk and there remains a danger that it could spiral out of control if we don't provide all necessary resources to isolate ebola to West Africa.

Is anyone else afraid that it is only a matter of time before the first case of ebola breaks out on a ship and that is the end of the cruise industry?

Since the US is welcoming 150 travelers a day from W. Africa with open arms, it is only a matter of time before it becomes more of a problem than it already is.

If you are terrified, you best move into your bomb shelter (I assume you have one from the 50's) and stay there until the scare is gone.

There are more deaths yearly from Influenza than currently from Ebola. Influenza is far more easily transferred by airborne particles when cruising so does that mean people should stop cruising all together ?

Edited by xxoocruiser

I'm far more worried about multi-drug resistant TB, Influenza, Norwalk, and Hepatitis than I am Ebola. Any of the above are just as infectious (if not more so), just as serious, and much more common.

One crew member with Hep A or Hep C working in food service could infect an entire ship. One passenger with TB could infect an entire ship. Everything in life carries risk. If you are going to dwell on it, you might want to consider wrapping yourself in bubble wrap and sealing all doors and windows, never leaving you home.

Edited by ducklite

Sorry, OP, but I think you've made a giant leap from Point A to Point B.

The cruise lines are going to have to be vigilant but I doubt even if there is a diagnosed case from someone on or has been on a cruise ship would be the end of the industry.

Let's hope all avoid this horrid disease and the subject will be moot.

You're kidding, right?

Don't worry, there will be a new 'dress code' involving those lovely hazard suits and masks!

I wonder if a hazmat suit would qualify as a "suit"? Technically it is a jacket and pants, but they are all joined together. Maybe one would have to wear a tie with it to make it truly formal. Hmmm; I've often told DH that next time we fly, I'm putting him in one of those and Crocs because it seems he always gets stopped for extra screening. That might happen sooner than he thinks! LOL

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Ebola is really not very contagious when compared to many other infections. It's not common, it's not easy to get, and it kills far fewer people annually than the flu. In the US alone, the flu kills more people every year (on average) than the current Ebola epidemic has world wide.

More than 500 Americans are killed every year by riding lawnmowers. Thousands more are injured by the same machines.

This is a serious threat.

What are the cruise lines doing about it?

Huh? :confused:

When was the last time any of us saw a riding lawnmower being used on a

cruise ship? :D

It is not as impossible to imagine the admittedly small chance for a case of ebola.

Got a better chance of falling out of bed and breaking your arm or neck than catching Ebola. Also, what makes you think all those 150 travelers from the entire part of West Africa are planning to go cruising or even work fir a cruise line? For all we know, they might work or stay at the Sofitel in DC. *shrug*

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

Huh? :confused:

When was the last time any of us saw a riding lawnmower being used on a

cruise ship? :D

It is not as impossible to imagine the admittedly small chance for a case of ebola.

some of the people on their scooters drive like they are on a riding mower...

only a minority of course:)

There are several Ebola threads going on the various boards. Any chance of the moderators combining them?

I doubt the NCL one will be combine, more likely it will get deleted due to someone getting political (why did they go there, no clue....)

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk