Missed Cruise Due to Delta Issue?

FSUNole

I hope cruisers did not miss their ship. Many fly/drive/arrive the day before to avoid unforeseen delays.

M

A very smart piece of advice. I know that a certain amount of cruise passengers fly in on the day of departure, but we always add a day, so that we can relax and know that we will make the ship!:)

Rick

A very smart piece of advice. I know that a certain amount of cruise passengers fly in on the day of departure, but we always add a day, so that we can relax and know that we will make the ship!:)

Rick

Yes, definitely this. We always come in the day before the cruise leaves.

Absolutely plan to arrive a day ahead -- doesn't even have to be the whole day; you could come in late the evening before. But never, never -- unless you're local -- never, never travel "day of". If you don't have time to make it a day ahead, the cruise doesn't fit into your schedule.

Rick

An experience I've encountered ... the flights on an airline with limited code share on the day before were cancelled due to fog. Cruisers who originally had tickets for the day-of were fine but the day-before people missed the ship.

Does that happen often? No. Does it happen as much as problems day-of? No. But in the end, just as with this Delta thing, ^&*% happens. You cannot prepare for every contingency.

Absolutely plan to arrive a day ahead -- doesn't even have to be the whole day; you could come in late the evening before. But never, never -- unless you're local -- never, never travel "day of". If you don't have time to make it a day ahead, the cruise doesn't fit into your schedule.

I don't see the point in being so adamant about an issue that you feel is an absolute to you, therefore everyone should feel the same way. Sure, there is risk to traveling the day of a cruise departure. Yet thousands of people do so, and most of the time it works out fine. Occasionally it doesn't. If you understand there is a risk, and you are willing to take that risk, then there is no problem with flying the day of a cruise.

An experience I've encountered ... the flights on an airline with limited code share on the day before were cancelled due to fog. Cruisers who originally had tickets for the day-of were fine but the day-before people missed the ship.

That's a good point, too. Sometimes things happen "the day before," and if you're not one of the first in line to rebook, all the flights the next morning can be gone.

I'm all for the idea of planning to arrive a day before. I think it's generally good advice. But those who try to say it is somehow mandatory, or the only way to go, are being a bit melodramatic.

Does that happen often? No. Does it happen as much as problems day-of? No. But in the end, just as with this Delta thing, ^&*% happens. You cannot prepare for every contingency.

You make a valid point. However, I'm still of the opinion that it is still safer to get to the port city a day ahead, just in case. However, ^&*% does happen from time to time, so the best approach is to have travel insurance, just in case.

Rick

Anyone on Enchantment, Majesty or other ships miss the boat as a result of the Delta power outage?

We are going out of Miami in September. We live Ormond Beach. We are driving down the day before. However, to FLL, we generally drive down same day.

We are going out of Miami in September. We live Ormond Beach. We are driving down the day before. However, to FLL, we generally drive down same day.

Hope there are no major accidents on I95 and no construction. We are on West Coast of FL and prefer to arrive a day early when we drive to So. FL. There have been threads where FL folks missed ship due to accidents and construction on their route. Better safe than sorry in my book.

Hope there are no major accidents on I95 and no construction. We are on West Coast of FL and prefer to arrive a day early when we drive to So. FL. There have been threads where FL folks missed ship due to accidents and construction on their route. Better safe than sorry in my book.

Exactly!!! I'm in Orlando, and the only ports we do same day are TAmpa and Orlando. FLL is four hours away. I NEVER risk it. I would be way too stressed out to fly same day, we've had disasters both times we did so.

I hope Delta compensates any pax that were put out by this delay. I'm sure we will unfortunately hear about interrupted vacation plans.... missing the ship is a huge dissapointment:mad:

My suggestion:

* One day before if it's a domestic flight or international route with more than two frequencies per day.

* Two days before for intercontinental flights, or international/domestic flight with just one frequency per day.

Edited by Pipo

I get what you are saying but it does not exactly mean it does not fit your schedule. Ive been cruising for almost 20 years and always fly in the day of. Simply because I dont want to waste money on a hotel. But I know that I have just been lucky. The biggest problem I ever had is my luggage getting lost and not getting it until the final hour.

But I think this year I may try the day before just in case. I always cruise in the winter and always pray it doesnt snow the day I leave. I think this year ill leave a day before, before my luck runs out

My parents lived in Ormond Beach. I flew into Daytona 2 days ahead of time. We nearly missed a cruise out of Tampa because of a hazmat spill on I-4. So much for an easy drive that should have taken us 2 hrs and 15 minutes. It took us nearly 6 hours with most of it sitting in bumper to bumper traffic not moving at all. Funny now, but not so much back then.

That's a good point, too. Sometimes things happen "the day before," and if you're not one of the first in line to rebook, all the flights the next morning can be gone.

I'm all for the idea of planning to arrive a day before. I think it's generally good advice. But those who try to say it is somehow mandatory, or the only way to go, are being a bit melodramatic.

Back when we flew, we only flew in early once. Melodramatic is the fuel that feeds this site. :D

Thanks Bob for mentioning this...yes we cruised together long, long time ago on the Mariner out of LA.

As this happened to one of my GF's years ago, probably around the time we cruises 2009...However...i think there is no difference between day of or a day before regarding problems.

I am one who flies the day of the cruise or tour, always do red eyes to Europe from CA...I am at an advantage starting out from the west coast early, but still don't understand why everyone pushes coming in the day before. The cruise line flies everyone in the day of......and they would not be doing it if the success rate was not high.

So far I have been successful in making my destination on time sometimes I will admit, there have been delays and it has been close and i have sweated it out....but still I do it.....just because I want to go directly to the main event, a post trip might be in order but seldom a pre for me.

Edited by land lover