Can I wear nice, dressier shorts to dinner

I've seen it attempted maybe three times, and all three were politely denied entry to the MDR.

I've seen is successfully done hundreds of times and never seen anyone denied entry...........................

The signs also say no caps. I've seen lots of idiots wearing baseball caps in the MDR at dinner. Doesn't bother me if they want to look like fools :)

Edited by bouhunter

Should be in your opinion. Sadly, you do not own the cruise line and do not set policy. The policy is no shorts in the MDR at dinner, "nice" or otherwise. Can you imagine the poor employees at the entrance trying to determine if someone's shorts are "nice" or not?

Guess what? It should be in my opinion too. If enough people have opinions then RCCL might change its policy.

Why can't people just follow the rules? It clearly states No Shorts in the MDR, that means No Shorts. You are eating in a beautiful dining room and being waited on hand and foot, if you want to wear shorts, go on a different vacation.

I wear whatever I want at dinner every other night of the year, usually pajamas, but for one week I get dressed up and enjoy the atmosphere of the MDR and being pampered. It's part of the experience of cruising.

Why can't people just follow the rules? It clearly states No Shorts in the MDR, that means No Shorts. You are eating in a beautiful dining room and being waited on hand and foot, if you want to wear shorts, go on a different vacation.

I wear whatever I want at dinner every other night of the year, usually pajamas, but for one week I get dressed up and enjoy the atmosphere of the MDR and being pampered. It's part of the experience of cruising.

So be pampered. To most vacation means relaxation and not dressing like they have to do everyday to work. What does it matter what anyone else wears?

How does someone wearing shorts interfere with your enjoyment? Does it keep you from dressing as you like? Does it prevent your being pampered? You can't tell whether someone is wearing shorts or not once they're seated so how does the fact that they're wearing shorts affect the atmosphere of the MDR?

The reason I asked about shorts is because I normally cruise in the winter and spring...and I never wear shorts to dinner during those times. But it is summertime, it's hot and putting on long, hot clothes after being in the sun all day (100 degrees) is not appealing to me.

If I have on a pair of Ralph Lauren shorts with a very nice button up, not only would it look fantastic it would be nice and cool and enjoyable.

But it sounds like a will have to wear long pants and sweat like Obama during the pledge of allegiance.

How does someone wearing shorts interfere with your enjoyment? Does it keep you from dressing as you like? Does it prevent your being pampered? You can't tell whether someone is wearing shorts or not once they're seated so how does the fact that they're wearing shorts affect the atmosphere of the MDR?

Beside decor, furniture and behavior of people the dress and look of guests of course contributes a lot to the atmosphere of any restaurant or event. If I notice many people in shorts, with baseball caps and flip flops the room does not feel elegant any more.

I also do not like to wear suits as I can do this in the office every day but I follow the dress code out of respect for others. Shorts for dinner are a no go for me. If I do not like to change I go to the Windjammer or Sorentos.

Furthermore the biggest issue are not the shorts or flip flops but the legs and feet of most people dressed like this....

The reason I asked about shorts is because I normally cruise in the winter and spring...and I never wear shorts to dinner during those times. But it is summertime, it's hot and putting on long, hot clothes after being in the sun all day (100 degrees) is not appealing to me.

If I have on a pair of Ralph Lauren shorts with a very nice button up, not only would it look fantastic it would be nice and cool and enjoyable.

But it sounds like a will have to wear long pants and sweat like Obama during the pledge of allegiance.

I'm not going to say whether or not you should be allowed to wear shorts, but what I don't understand is your comment about sweating in long pants. I've sailed in hot climates and never sweated in long pants as my stateroom, the public lounges and dining rooms are all air conditioned.

If I have on a pair of Ralph Lauren shorts with a very nice button up, not only would it look fantastic it would be nice and cool and enjoyable ".

I do not know what ship you are going on, but if it is the Grandeur after the first night, you will be stopped and asked to change into long pants or enjoy your dinner in the Windjammer.

Edited by starlake

I've seen is successfully done hundreds of times and never seen anyone denied entry...........................

The signs also say no caps. I've seen lots of idiots wearing baseball caps in the MDR at dinner. Doesn't bother me if they want to look like fools :)

It doesn't bother me either; just letting the OP know he may or may not be denied entry. If you've seen it hundreds of times, it sounds like people are just better dressed and/or follow the rules better on some cruises than others.

Technically you're not supposed to, but if they are not offensive probably no one will care (that matters). I've seen men and women in shorts at dinner. They are mostly trying to not have people show up like they just left the pool or the beach so if you are nice looking that's mostly what matters.

I'd bring a pair of long pants just in case.

Someone mentioned the Windjammer. Normally, I wouldn't suggest that since it sounds condescending and I don't mean it to be. On our last cruise we went there for the second week and we really had a great experience and liked it at least as much, if not more, than the MDR. Even if you don't go there every night you may want to try one night just to see it. It's still a buffet, but it's quiet and nice with typically not so many people. The MDR is very loud, you get interrupted with singing waiters, clanging dishes, etc. Also, in the WJ you can eat on your own schedule. They also often have special station foods like pastas, desserts, and other things they make to order.

Since the food quality in the MDR has declined over the years the WJ has kind of caught up a bit.

Sorry... off topic a bit, but I thought worth mentioning.

Tom

Dress Code Policy says no tank tops - Does that include the dressier tank tops that ladies wear now? I can understand not allowing your everyday basic tank tops. We are going to be in the Caribbean in August and I purchased several decorative tank tops to wear.

I don't think there is a correct answer as every ship is so different.:confused: We saw a young woman turned away to go get a wrap? as her top- left open shoulders showing. Almost like a strapless top but for lunch I guess it was not suitable? This was a caribbean cruise.

So, really just bring back up or ask when you are on board at the MDR door. Look for the crew member in the suit at the door, he or she is the one that decides.

This was the argument against jeans in the MDR for years. We seem to have moved past that now and nice jeans are perfectly acceptable. It seems inevitable that the no-shorts rule will evolve the same way in time.

Devolve. <sigh>

Technically you're not supposed to, but if they are not offensive probably no one will care (that matters). I've seen men and women in shorts at dinner. They are mostly trying to not have people show up like they just left the pool or the beach so if you are nice looking that's mostly what matters.

I'd bring a pair of long pants just in case.

Someone mentioned the Windjammer. Normally, I wouldn't suggest that since it sounds condescending and I don't mean it to be. On our last cruise we went there for the second week and we really had a great experience and liked it at least as much, if not more, than the MDR. Even if you don't go there every night you may want to try one night just to see it. It's still a buffet, but it's quiet and nice with typically not so many people. The MDR is very loud, you get interrupted with singing waiters, clanging dishes, etc. Also, in the WJ you can eat on your own schedule. They also often have special station foods like pastas, desserts, and other things they make to order.

Since the food quality in the MDR has declined over the years the WJ has kind of caught up a bit.

Sorry... off topic a bit, but I thought worth mentioning.

Tom

(see red) Gone, I am happy to say.

(btw, I love having dinner in the WJ)

On OasisOTS we only had dinner in the MDR once (not a formal night) because we loved the specialty restaurants ... but there were people seated close to us that time in the MDR at dinner wearing just above the knee length shorts.

Guess it just depends ....

LuLu

Here is my opinion. Shorts are not permitted. Signs are posted. It's a sit down, dinner, with a nice place setting, 3 man service crew etc.

It should not matter if it is "enforced" or if some adult needs to have to turn you away like a child. We are adults. So everyone should "respect" the dress code, where what is appropriate, and just stop asking about it.

Yes, some people sneak in, and without being noticed. But really, why should you need to be told, what you already know. Just be the adult and accept it. Respect and manners are not going away yet.

I have noticed that one of these threads comes up every month.

Personally I couldn't care less what someone wears to dinner. It's their vacation. I need to wear a uniform every working day of my life and on my "off days" I need to wear a suit for half of them due to other work commitments. If I am on vacation I want to wear shorts. The first time I went on a cruise on the Allure I never even brought pants because I knew I wouldn't need them in such hot temperatures. I didn't realize there was a dress code. Anyway, I never got told to go back and change, and if I was told, I wouldn't have had anything to change in to.

If you're on vacation, enjoy it. I would hate to live a lifestyle where the appearance of other people has any affect on my enjoyment of dinner. If I ever saw someone turned away for their appearance (even if I didn't know the person), I would immediately go to Guest Services and revoke all of my pre-paid tips.

I have noticed that one of these threads comes up every month.

Personally I couldn't care less what someone wears to dinner. It's their vacation. I need to wear a uniform every working day of my life and on my "off days" I need to wear a suit for half of them due to other work commitments. If I am on vacation I want to wear shorts. The first time I went on a cruise on the Allure I never even brought pants because I knew I wouldn't need them in such hot temperatures. I didn't realize there was a dress code. Anyway, I never got told to go back and change, and if I was told, I wouldn't have had anything to change in to.

If you're on vacation, enjoy it. I would hate to live a lifestyle where the appearance of other people has any affect on my enjoyment of dinner. If I ever saw someone turned away for their appearance (even if I didn't know the person), I would immediately go to Guest Services and revoke all of my pre-paid tips.

So you are going to punish the crew members (working hard and not getting paid much) for doing their job of upholding the standard (that they didn't set by the way) that someone chooses to ignore? That doesn't make a lot of sense!

So you are going to punish the crew members (working hard and not getting paid much) for doing their job of upholding the standard (that they didn't set by the way) that someone chooses to ignore? That doesn't make a lot of sense!

I agree! It's deplorable to suggest such a thing :mad: