Knee replacement and security

karlsselindh

I've had two bionic knees installed in the last year, and later this month we're going on an Eclipse cruise to celebrate my becoming ambulatory again. I haven't flown or cruised with the new knees yet.

Will I have trouble going through ship security with the new knees?

Thanks!

I have a replacement hip. London's Heathrow is the only place I've had trouble. Very rude security people who acted like I had a bomb in my hip. Very aggressive about patting me down and asking questions.

Other places I just have asked for the hi-tech scanner to be used instead of the older walk through system. They can see my metal/plastic hip and no one asks questions. I do tell them before I walk into the scanner. Never a problem in US airports.

No problems on any cruise ship I've been on either in USA or Europe.

Edited by Trainer

As a double hip replacement guy, I have never had an issue with cruise ship scanners. We have cruised Royal, Princess and Celebrity.

Enjoy your new hinges.:-)

I have a plate and 7 screws in my right ankle and a replacement knee on the left side. When we went on the Quantum last November, I was wanded, patted down, etc., etc. I told them I had the surgeries, but they still weren't taking any chances. We fly in 2 weeks, so I can only wonder how much they will put me through there!

I think you'll find every airport/port different, in fact it often depends on the screener. Not to trivialize this, but get used to it...it just comes with the territory and you may have to spend a little more time than prior to the bionics. Many have plates, screws, knee and hip replacements so you're not being singled out....but be glad you're walking better and just go with the flow and don't blame the inspectors....they are, at least in theory, trying to stop the bad guys from killing you and me.

DH has had both knees replaced. Every time he goes through security, both cruise and airport, he gets wanded. He tells them ahead of time, but they still check him out. On a cruise ship the security guys start to remember him but they still give him the once over. It really isn't that big of a deal. Maybe a 30 second delay?

I've had two bionic knees installed in the last year, and later this month we're going on an Eclipse cruise to celebrate my becoming ambulatory again. I haven't flown or cruised with the new knees yet.

Thanks!

My husband had knee replacement in February 2014. He has been stopped on every single cruise we have sailed on after that. His surgeon gave him a card that identifies the surgery, the date and his name on it, he's shown it every time, and then let through.

Have 3 friends who have had joint replacements. Each has a card from the Ortho to clear security at airports, cruise ports, etc

I do have a card from the surgeon giving the dates of the surgeries, but I've read that the card doesn't mean much since such cards can be forged. I'm actually reassured to have increased scrutiny and happy to show off my scars.

A card? I don't think that would make much difference from a security point of view...at least I hope it wouldn't! My mom has two bionic hips and knees and rings off every time. Most security is respectful but the worst airport is Fort Lauderdale. She really feels violated every time and it's very upsetting for her.

My husband had knee replacement in February 2014. He has been stopped on every single cruise we have sailed on after that. His surgeon gave him a card that identifies the surgery, the date and his name on it, he's shown it every time, and then let through.

It's about time these cards were issued in UK. I know they are issued in NZ as well.

The last time I was at LHR , I was actually asked to show my knee, so I agree that the full body scanners at airports are preferable. I think it is above and beyond- what if I had had a hip replacement, would they have asked me to reveal that?

The only airport scanner which didn't detect my replacement knee was Huston, so I immediately concluded that their equipment was inferior.

my wife has had both knees replaced and the cards mean nothing at the airport - at least in our experience (nor should they really) - we just plan on extra time going through security. No real issues with ship's security that i can recall.

my wife has had both knees replaced and the cards mean nothing at the airport - at least in our experience (nor should they really) - we just plan on extra time going through security. No real issues with ship's security that i can recall.

we've had the same experience. Airport security has no interest in looking at any 'card'

Thanks!

One, get a note from your doctor. Believe me, this will help immensely!

Two, just inform TSA as you're approaching the machine about your knee replacements and that you may set it off. Show them the note.

Odds are, you'll set it off, they'll pull you aside, and then use the wand on your to verify.

My late MIL was in the same situation and this is what they did. As long as you let them know, it should not be a problem! :)

One, get a note from your doctor. Believe me, this will help immensely!

Two, just inform TSA as you're approaching the machine about your knee replacements and that you may set it off. Show them the note.

Odds are, you'll set it off, they'll pull you aside, and then use the wand on your to verify.

My late MIL was in the same situation and this is what they did. As long as you let them know, it should not be a problem! :)

Great answer.

I'm in the camp that says don't bother with cards or letters. TSA, CBSA or any other agency tasked with airport screening MUST conduct an in situ verification and can not accept written or verbal third party information as to the cause of detection systems going off.

Doctor who implanted my pacemaker told me under no circumstances to go thru scanner so I just walk to side and say wand me and pat me down. I now have device implanted in spine and a new left hip so no way will I do scanner.

Pat away. DH has port implanted so he requests pat down too. Was not an issue.

Letters from doctors, etc. have been useless for me and DH. He had knee replacement and I have an insulin pump. Just inform TSA and you will be wanded and patted down and sent on your way. I have not had anyone at our TSA check points or any other country I have visited even want to see the letters.