Correct Terms for Getting on and Getting Off Ship

packedandready

A thread on another board (that's getting a little ugly) is discussing this. I've wondered about the proper terms but didn't want to get involved in that discussion.

Getting on is embark, embarkation, embarking depending on the use. Right?

What is getting off? Debark, debarkation, debarking or disembarking, disembarkation?

A thread on another board (that's getting a little ugly) is discussing this. I've wondered about the proper terms but didn't want to get involved in that discussion.

What is getting off? Debark, debarkation, debarking or disembarking, disembarkation?

Embark - to get on the ship.

Disembark - to get off the ship.

Debark - to get off the ship.

Both are correct.

October, I'm not about to have my dog's vocal cords cut or trimmed! I agree, it is mean to dogs. Whoever does this to their dog deserves to get bitten ;) by their dog after its recovery.

Only ever heard debark from Americans.

We give you a beautiful language, & you destroy it :D

JB :)

PS is that where the ugliness has crept into the other thread? ;)

sez the nation that insists on extra vowels. (aluminium anyone?!)

we are just simplifying things. :D

Correct. :)

Only ever heard debark from Americans.

We give you a beautiful language, & you destroy it :D

JB :)

PS is that where the ugliness has crept into the other thread? ;)

I've heard it from Dutch Officers aboard and some rather Senior in rank. ;)

Correct. All are shown online at http://www.thefreedictionary.com .

Debark and embark also show up as correct English English in my Oxford English Dictionary and as correct American English in my American Heritage Dictionary. There is nothing to argue or get ugly about.

Whatever floats your boat.

I have seen online dictionaries list debark as simply "synonym for disembark" thus in maritime (as opposed to canine) context it lacks any actual etymology, simply evolving through common use. So just because your favorite cruise line uses debark in its website, daily programs and even in announcements does not make it properly equivalent with disembark...unless you want it to be :rolleyes:

(And an anecdote for fellow fans of pedantry: I used to teach bookkeeping and finance classes, and always told my students that when referring to retirement savings(*) if they used the terms deposit and withdrawal rather than contribution and distribution they must put a quarter in my curse jar. Always said that's how I got a new car every year :D)

(*)actual term for retirement savings being deferred compensation, but I didn't hold them to that. Though I did offer extra credit to the first student who could give me the correct meaning of the acronym IRA

Edited by fishywood

To a mariner, we classify cargo by loading type:

Container ship: lift on/lift off (LO/LO)

Vehicle carrier: roll on/roll off (RO/RO)

Cruise ship: walk on/walk off (WO/WO), or more accurately (WOE/WOE)

Remember, cruise passengers are the only cargo that talks back. :D

To a mariner, we classify cargo by loading type:

Container ship: lift on/lift off (LO/LO)

Vehicle carrier: roll on/roll off (RO/RO)

Cruise ship: walk on/walk off (WO/WO), or more accurately (WOE/WOE)

Remember, cruise passengers are the only cargo that talks back. :D

Alternatively for cruise ship passengers:

Walk on, on foot.

Walk off, on foot.

WOOF/WOOF

No confusion there not even with debarking dog ambiguities.

Regards John

I have seen online dictionaries list debark as simply "synonym for disembark" thus in maritime (as opposed to canine) context it lacks any actual etymology, simply evolving through common use. So just because your favorite cruise line uses debark in its website, daily programs and even in announcements does not make it properly equivalent with disembark...unless you want it to be :rolleyes:

(And an anecdote for fellow fans of pedantry: I used to teach bookkeeping and finance classes, and always told my students that when referring to retirement savings(*) if they used the terms deposit and withdrawal rather than contribution and distribution they must put a quarter in my curse jar. Always said that's how I got a new car every year :D)

(*)actual term for retirement savings being deferred compensation, but I didn't hold them to that. Though I did offer extra credit to the first student who could give me the correct meaning of the acronym IRA

Regarding the great deal for the Princess Thanksgiving cruise mentioned in your signature....could it be because they will hold your deposit for 90 years?

Edited by buggins0402

• 1 month later...