RYNDAM & STATENDAM to P&O Australia

eroller

I'm disappointed that this day has come, to say the least. I have a special fondness for the S-class ships, and the Ryndam in particular.

Thanks for the link, eroller.

I'm so glad I'm booked on the Maasdam for December. Will look into the Ryndam for early 2015 to bid a farewell. The Ryndam was our first HAL ship. Made many wonderful friendships with some of the crew.

I'm a little sail about the Ryndam. We sailed her twice. We took our parents on her in the late 90s, and we sailed with friends for DW's birthday a few years ago when the Mexican Riveria cruisers were still going strong.

Well, how sad. I wonder how long the refurbishments will take and if "join the fleet in November 2015" means taking passengers or entering dry dock for the work to be done.

Usually that means they'll be refurbed and ready to go in November 2015. If the last few P&O ships are any indication, they'll more than likely go to Sembawang Shipyard in Singapore for the refurb before positioning down here to Oz. I'm excited!

Edited by Royalty X

Will either Veendam or Masdam be ported in Tampa during the 2015 winter season?

Will these remaining S class ships be sent to Costa to continue Neo collection?

Will the new pinnacle class ship be named Statendam or Nieu Statendam?

As for Statendam and Ryndam......I enjoyed Ryndam; sailed Veendam before her bastardization in the stern and loved the Masdam. never made the Statendam which I regret.

Good luck to these two ships down under, hope the refit is stunning so I can choose Statendam down under.

Now ernie....get the scoop on the new ship . Will she follow the trend of Haven/ Yachtclub ship with in a ship design?????

RMS Olympic.

If the ship takes the name of Statendam it will only be called Statendam. Also the Pinnacle Class is a larger and wider derivative of the present Signature/Vista class vessels with some new differences on them. You will provable find the same things with the new ship as you see on Eurodam and Niuew Amsterdam. Maybe a few more specialty restaurants will be found on board.

Now ernie....get the scoop on the new ship . Will she follow the trend of Haven/ Yachtclub ship with in a ship design?????

Don't expect anything ground breaking with the new ship. She is essentially just an enlarged Vista Class. Not sure this is a good thing. More decks of cabins but the same exterior top deck space which essentially remains static. Thankfully the Vista Class is fairly spacious so hopefully the extra pax won't make the new ship too dense. One change I do expect is decor. Expect lighter and more sophisticated decor than current HAL ships. I would say more along the lines of Celebrity but not quite that extreme.

Ernie

The transfer of the two S-Class ships is interesting for a couple reasons. It's no secret that Carnival Corp. was actively looking to sell one or more of these ships. I'm speculating that wasn't possible so instead they decided to place them where the best revenue potential exists. Apparently that is no longer Holland America. Also interesting that HAL's capacity will remain flat for the foreseeable future and perhaps even decline if any more ships are transferred out. There is only one new HAL ship order and that will not increase capacity, only keep it flat when the two existing ships are transferred out. Replacing two ships with one may keep capacity flat, but it does place limitations on itinerary expansion. One less ship to explore new itinerary options. There are no indications of any additional new builds for HAL at this time, but of course that can change. Carnival Corp. rarely builds one of anything.

I'm just uncertain what all this spells for the HAL brand. Perhaps nothing? Not being in growth mode is never a good thing for any company, and shrinking is even worse. I just wonder how well HAL is doing these days. Apparently not well enough to warrant growth at the moment.

The transfer of the two S-Class ships is interesting for a couple reasons. It's no secret that Carnival Corp. was actively looking to sell one or more of these ships. I'm speculating that wasn't possible so instead they decided to place them where the best revenue potential exists. Apparently that is no longer Holland America. Also interesting that HAL's capacity will remain flat for the foreseeable future and perhaps even decline if any more ships are transferred out. There is only one new HAL ship order and that will not increase capacity, only keep it flat when the two existing ships are transferred out. Replacing two ships with one may keep capacity flat, but it does place limitations on itinerary expansion. One less ship to explore new itinerary options. There are no indications of any additional new builds for HAL at this time, but of course that can change. Carnival Corp. rarely builds one of anything.

I'm just uncertain what all this spells for the HAL brand. Perhaps nothing? Not being in growth mode is never a good thing for any company, and shrinking is even worse. I just wonder how well HAL is doing these days. Apparently not well enough to warrant growth at the moment.

There is actually an option for a second Pinnacle class ship for delivery somewhere in 2018-2019.

We knew she was for sale but I am very sad that the Statendam will be leaving. She was our first ship and holds so many fond memories. At least we will have 31 days on her this fall.

They Ryndam will also be missed. In fact, we love the S & R class ships and do not like the Vista ( or larger ) class at all. I am just hoping that the small ships that are left will last as long as the cruising days we have left to us.

BINGO !

My own opinion as well...and I couldn't have framed it better !

Very good analysis;thank you.

Cheers