Cruising is boring ?

caribsun

Parents ask this question, will there be enough to do on a cruise ship for my kids. I'm showing my age here but I was happy swimming in a pond for vacation.

I have taken my grandkids on a few cruises with CCL and X and they have a ball just swimming in the pool. They are so grateful that we took them along. They are girls and they just love getting dressed for dinner and having their pictures taken.

So, do your kids whine and complain on a cruise?

My son never gets bored. Swimming, basketball, slides, mini golf, lounging, bowling are all activities he loves to do on a cruise. Our 1st cruise he was only 11. We love the ocean and the ships so much!

This trip is my birthday/h.s. graduation present for him and it's our 3rd cruise together. I think he's going to relax more on this trip because since graduating, he's been working 7 days a week to pay for his car!

Wish I could afford to do more of them, but my hubby won't get on a ship, so we normally do family vacations on the Jersey Shore.

Happy Cruising!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

There are a few smaller ships, such as the Ocean and Pacific Princess that only have a children's program if there are at least a specified minimum number of children on board. For the Princess ships above the minimum is 15. We have been on these ships many times when the threshold was not met.

If I had kids that whined or complained, it would be their LAST cruise (or, vacation, for that matter!)

Now, all kids will have their moments, but if they couldn't appreciate our vacation, no matter where it was, they wouldn't have another. Period.

If I had kids that whined or complained, it would be their LAST cruise (or, vacation, for that matter!)

Now, all kids will have their moments, but if they couldn't appreciate our vacation, no matter where it was, they wouldn't have another. Period.

I feel the same way. I don't know how many times at Disney and a few times on a cruise I heard kids saying they were bored!!!:rolleyes: That would be the last and I would keep them so busy doing chores that they would never be bored again.

Both DDs loved cruising and were never bored when they were still in the kid's clubs. Now that they've aged out one won't go anymore and the other just asked me to find her a cheap, short cruise out of Long Beach.

Edited by SadieN

Yes, my teen complained she was bored on sea days. She loved the port days but on sea days she really missed having constant access to the internet. Overall though she enjoyed the cruise experience. Teen son loved cruising and never complained once.

We've only taken our kids on one cruise, but all six of them absolutely loved

It. We're booked again this coming December & they're crazy excited already. I did worry about some of the smaller ships out there and if they'd still enjoy it as much, but they're biggest draw was the kids/teen clubs and hanging with the new friends so I'm not sure it would matter anyhow.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I feel the same way. I don't know how many times at Disney and a few times on a cruise I heard kids saying they were bored!!!:rolleyes: That would be the last and I would keep them so busy doing chores that they would never be bored again.

Why do I think most of us with this attitude have gray hair. :D

I think a problem with some kids today is that their parents have kept them so busy with planned activities that they never learned how to keep themselves entertained.

When I was in grade school our family would spend a couple of weeks in the summer at my great-aunts place on a lake in northern Michigan. I was an only child and had to keep myself busy. I still remember those trips as some of the best times of my childhood.

Parents ask this question, will there be enough to do on a cruise ship for my kids. I'm showing my age here but I was happy swimming in a pond for vacation.

I have taken my grandkids on a few cruises with CCL and X and they have a ball just swimming in the pool. They are so grateful that we took them along. They are girls and they just love getting dressed for dinner and having their pictures taken.

So, do your kids whine and complain on a cruise?

Wow, I just realized the nuts really don't fall far from the tress after all! Never once an "I'm bored" from any of us while cruising.:D

I think a problem with some kids today is that their parents have kept them so busy with planned activities that they never learned how to keep themselves entertained.

When I was in grade school our family would spend a couple of weeks in the summer at my great-aunts place on a lake in northern Michigan. I was an only child and had to keep myself busy. I still remember those trips as some of the best times of my childhood.

I think you're right! Everyone tries to blame Mickey D's for the kids being fat, but they sit all day in front of a computer or X-Box and never move. Have any of today's kids jumped rope or built a cardboard racer?

Activities planned by parents are the only thing worse than no electronic device in hands or ear today.

When I was a kid, we found scrap wood (hard in built-up neighborhoods) and used worn-out roller skates (No longer available. Today kids don't wear leather shoes, and street skates??) Are they still around?:confused: And we made scooters. After building one, if you ever got a new store-bought one for Christmas, you really took care of it! (Even though I broke my nose on mine one time).

We had doubts and questions on boredom before we went on a cruise - we were concerned for ourselves let alone the kids ! Admittedly we tried a Mediterranean cruise which are usually port intensive but even on the sea day we were well occupied as were the kids. In fact they liked it so much they chose the next one!

Our kids detest sitting on beaches and can only take a day or so by the pool before getting bored.

Edited by 4Mast

I think you're right! Everyone tries to blame Mickey D's for the kids being fat, but they sit all day in front of a computer or X-Box and never move. Have any of today's kids jumped rope or built a cardboard racer?

Schools do not even have bike racks anymore. Kids were driven to school even though the school is really close to home. The few kids who do walk are in danger of getting hit by the parents.:eek:

I was a child in the 70s, no electronics or organized activities, but I was still incredibly bored on family vacations. Personal interests are not hereditary.

Whining is unacceptable, but I wouldn't punish our son simply for being bored. Or take him on the next cruise.

And chores are their own kind of boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My last cruise was with 2 nephews(16 &18) and they absolutely loved the cruise. Maybe that is considered too old. They loved the food choices at dinner and the entertainment provided by the staff.

They also enjoyed the water slides and hot tubs. They can't wait to go again.

I get what you're trying to say, but it sounds more like "if they don't like cruising, they don't ever get a vacation of any kind again". Cruising isn't for everyone, even kids, and if they're bored on the cruise, it doesn't mean they should never get a vacation again.

HaHa. This post has surely hit a bad chord with some including me.

Where in the world do all the references to lazy, fat, tech loving kids come into the conversation? Some kids will be "bored" with cruising just as some adults don't like cruising either.

Kids on vacation with their families for quality time are made to adjust to the kids club or feel like a nuisance to their parents if they don't, have every right to say they are "bored". We all know there is plenty to do on a ship. A little more attention from their parents may make up for the statements of boredom. Ask the questions what ever happened to family dinners?, church on sundays? and family game/movie night?

My son isn't bored but he loves his technology and he builds models and he does community service and plays sports and because he has a backpack that is ungodly heavy he gets a ride to school in the morning. He is not privileged. Those who have said their kids would stay home if they ever said they were bored....Will you stay home with them too and do something they think is fun?

On our last cruise, the staff at the kids club told us that while most kids were busy playing video games in between activities, our kids chose to read books. Proud dad. :D

And we do have a Wii at home, but we don't fire it up very often.

Our son wasn't the type to participate in the children's program. Our daughter was (she passed away) mentally challenged and wasn't allowed to participate with "normal" children(she wasn't a threat to anyone.)

I think the word "bored" over-used! Like I heard Dr. Phil say many times, "people that say they're bored are boring." I also think it's the way the world is. If kids do not have their own friends with them they're bored! JMO