Convince me to cruise.

ruby1966

I originally booked a RCI cruise in 2015 but cancelled it as I panicked about feeling claustrophobic in the cabin, and also, stupidly because I can't swim. I know it's not logical, especially as I go on planes but can't fly either.

I would really like to cruise but the only month we can go is in April due to childcare. Would the bay of biscay in April be a bad idea for a first time cruise? I do have really bad motion sickness (my mum informs me I was even sick in my pram!).

I am also worried about the so called cruise cough as I have medical issue which requires me to carry antibiotics and steroids.

I would really value your opinions.

I originally booked a RCI cruise in 2015 but cancelled it as I panicked about feeling claustrophobic in the cabin, and also, stupidly because I can't swim. I know it's not logical, especially as I go on planes but can't fly either.

I would really like to cruise but the only month we can go is in April due to childcare. Would the bay of biscay in April be a bad idea for a first time cruise? I do have really bad motion sickness (my mum informs me I was even sick in my pram!).

I am also worried about the so called cruise cough as I have medical issue which requires me to carry antibiotics and steroids.

1. You panic

2. You are Claustrophobic

3. You cannot swim

4. You cannot fly

5. You are limited to one month out of the year to cruise

6. You have bad motion sickness

7. You are afraid of obtaining the noro virus

8. You have medical issues.

You want us to convince you to cruise? :o

Spend the money instead on a land trip to Kauai in the Hawaiian Islands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1. You panic

3. You cannot swim

4. You cannot fly

LOL. Couldn't have said it better myself! :D

The one thing I agree with in the OP's comments is that it is not logical. But then again, one's perception is one's reality.

1. You panic

3. You cannot swim

4. You cannot fly

:')

You gave us a list of negatives but said you would like to cruise? I don't understand why you would like to with this many negatives in play. Is somebody trying to arm-twist you into joining them on a cruise, you don't want to go, and you want support from us here? And if you can only go in April, and the month is almost over, then April 2018 gives you a lot of time to agonize over it and you'll likely cancel yet again.

There's no shame in cruising not being for you. Given everything that you told us I for one would not try to convince you to cruise.

I am claustrophobic. Book a balcony cabin so I can get outside. But I do not panic. And while You can get outside, If that's not enough, you can't get off the ship. Don't cruise under those circumstances.

I have motion sickness. Kept me from considering cruises for a long time. See doctor for Scop patches before flying or cruising. Great stuff. Much better than any OTC remedy. If you've tried these and they don't work, you're in trouble.

I'm sure there are sick people on a ship, but no sicker than the college students I work with every day (dormitories are far more germ-laden than ships, I suspect). Wash your hands. Use the sanitizer the ships have everywhere. But, I have no medical issues, or at least nothing that others can contribute to. This might be a deal breaker.

If you decide to do this, I"d suggest starting with the shortest cruise you can book.

Thanks for the replies . It would be P and O ventura from Southampton to Spain if we went. I really want to see more of the world and like the idea of cruising. We have flown but I really hate it plus as it's April it will have to be the canaries again. I love the canaries but would have liked somewhere different. I just thought that as my parents had given us the opportunity for a holiday on our own, it might have been an opportunity to try it out as my son refuses to go on a cruise. Thanks for your help.

Because you want to cruise, I will be different and give you encouragement.

1, Great idea to get a balcony cabin, more space and you can be outdoors.

2. You do not need to swim or fly. If something goes wrong you will be wearing a life vest.

3. Talk to your doctor about the best medication for your motion sickness. Many people sail with this.

4. Follow good habits to avoid sickness.

You can do this if it is something you really want to do. One cruise will tell you if this is the vacation for you.

Ruby, let me suggest you try a different type of cruise first: consider doing a Rhine river cruise such as Castles of the Rhine. The Rhine is not very deep. If you fell off your river ship (highly unlikely unless you do something stupid like sit on the railing), you could simply stand up and walk out of the river only a few feet away, so there is nothing to feel panicky about. The ship is in port all day every day except for perhaps 1/2 to 1 day, so if you really hate it, you can simply get off and go to the airport and fly home. Cruise cough - nonexistent on river cruises. On a river cruise most of your excursions are included and everyone onboard is on the same excursion, so you can't get lost and wine and beer are usually included with lunch and dinner as well. You are never outside sight of land and these cruises are smooth as glass - it would be really hard for you to get motion sick. It really is an extremely stress free way to travel and I believe it might be a good experience for your first cruise. Anyway, do give this some thought as I think it would be a better introduction to cruising for you on a smaller scale with a cruise that is highly organized - you will not have to research anything as all the excursions are arranged - you just get onboard and enjoy.

As far as the Bay of Biscay goes - it can be a wild ride and even though I'm not prone to motion sickness, I had to put on the Transderm Stop and go midship for the day and it was really one of the worst days I've had at sea. I would advise you to avoid sailing through there and instead fly to Barcelona to board a Med cruise. But I really think you would be much better off on a river cruise for your first experience.

Ruby... I've crossed the BOB many times, and at least 8 of those would be on Ventura. She's a big ship and rides well; we're not long back from 28 days on her, crossing the Atlantic both ways, and I think the sick bags were only out twice... :)

Look for a cabin close to the lifts and stairs, so that you can be out on deck in a minute. It's best to be as central as possible, because of the see-saw movement of a ship, and lower down, too.

Just like being in a crowded precinct, hall, school etc, there will be germs around, but no more than on any other form of transport. Do check with your Dr for seasickness pills which will work with your other medication, though. The ones sold on P&O are Avastin. Your Dr will know what combination for you. I don't know about a "cruise cough", but there are usually people with colds on board when we're on in winter- I didn't notice much out of the ordinary this time.

Do ask again if there's anything I can help with.

Jo

Edited by jocap
typo

Book a balcony cabin or ocean=view to avoid claustrophobia.

Book a mid-ship, lower deck cabin for more stability and less ship rocking.

Book a shorter cruise first just to try it out and not feel trapped.

Be sure to bring your meds. Consult your physician for advice about seasickness.

Don't get overtired trying to do every activity on the ship and taking every excursion because if you get run down you will be more likely to fall ill than if you stay rested.

Be prepared for the fact that you may absolutely love your cruise.

But, be prepared for the fact that you might not enjoy cruising. Not everybody does and that is OK too.

I can't swim either, and I get terrible motion sickness in cars. I have no problem with the notion of cruising, since mostly if the ship goes down it won't help me to be able to swim anyhow. And I don't get seasick. Go figure on that, but it's a fact. Carsick yes, seasick no.

If you have all of the issues you've indicated, and feel you need to be convinced to cruise, then I would say - don't bother. You're coming into the program with preconceived notions that you'll be claustrophobic, seasick, can't swim (not that this will ever come up), have medical issues and are worried about getting a cough from others onboard - that doesn't bode well for a relaxing cruise vacation. I'd stick with land vacations and leave the cruising to others.

I'm always skeptical when people come on these boards and want others to convince them to either cruise, or to try different ships, etc. It is taking the responsibility of their vacation off their shoulders and they can blame others if their experience is less than stellar.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have thought about the OP's post from the point of view of a person that loves both travel and cruising. My conclusion is that there is no way I would try to convince you to cruise. You might be better served in spending the cruise time at home trying to get help in dealing with all your fears, concerns, issues. We do wish you the best..in whatever you do.

Hank

I have thought about the OP's post from the point of view of a person that loves both travel and cruising. My conclusion is that there is no way I would try to convince you to cruise. You might be better served in spending the cruise time at home trying to get help in dealing with all your fears, concerns, issues. We do wish you the best..in whatever you do.

Hank

Agree. I thought it - you said it. ;)

LOL. Couldn't have said it better myself! :D

The one thing I agree with in the OP's comments is that it is not logical. But then again, one's perception is one's reality.

WWith that list off reasons, I don't think i would try t o covince you.Why? I don't know you. :shrug

You won't know if cruising is a good choice for you until you try it. Suggest you make a list of all of the positive things you expect to gain from the cruise experience. For example, seeing new areas of the world and meeting new friends. If you book for next April, you would have plenty of time to sign up for swimming lessons if you wished to conquer one of your fears. Try not to let your fears limit your choices in life. As you get older, you may find that the decisions you made motivated by fear are not the wisest. If you frame a positive outlook about your cruise vacation, you may discover that you are capable of expanding your view of the world while developing a new sense of confidence and pride that you were able to handle a challenging situation. Best of luck to you however you may decide.

We sailed the bay of Biscay in May so just after April and it was fine with minimal motion...make sure you choose a low deck cabin mid ship. Big ships rock less too! I assume you might be looking at the Indepedence of the seas or the Navigator this time? We did the above cruise on the Indy...shes lovely.

Go and see if you can get any motion medicine or patches just in case but you will likely be fine. I am a big advocate of flat coke and ginger if you prefer natural methods. Also try and get a cabin with a window to look out on the horizon.

Ships are awesome with medications and requirements (I sail with a T1 diabetic) and now have much better emergency staff and procedures on board as well as a medical centre. People sail with a dialysis machine and love their cruise so you can do it too!

The best thing to do would be to try and get fresh air and turn of air con in the cabin then you coughing should be no more irritated than normal.

Don't let worries hold you back! Bilbao and Gijon are great ports by the way....as is Cherborg. Le havre not so much but thats a personal thing. :)

It seems like it would feel close, and some staterooms are bigger than others, but it's not as bad as imagined. I do insist on at least a balcony. All passengers have to attend a safety talk called a muster drill. There are enough lifeboats for everyone, they are stocked with life vests and food and water, and they have motors to get you to shore. I have really bad seasickness. I just bring along some Bonine (less drowsy Dramamine, Antivert, Meclazine) and it works perfectly. Sometimes our fears are paper tigers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums