Constellation as a good Celebrity cruises?

NOSaints1

I listen on my cruise podcast and they say sometimes if your going on your first cruise on a new cruiseline it's good do to a short getaway, having only sailed Carnival I'm wondering if a 5 night on the Constellation is good. What're your thoughts on the ship and what it has to offer and what're the negatives on the ship and would it be right for my DW and I who're in our mid 30s. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Connie sails at 95+% full cruise after cruise! month after month! year after year. Yup, she would be a great ship for a first Celebrity cruise.

But that is just our opinion:D after sailing 7 lines over the last 25 years.

There has been some discussion on these boards that the 5 night sailings on the Connie attracks a slightly different crowd (not that it's a bad thing). If you have already cruised and like it, try a 7-10 nighter to get the real feel of Celebrity cruises.

That being said, the M-Class ships are wonderful. Not as new as the S-Class but still great (I'm on one in 3 weeks).

We love the Constellation and take the 5 night once a year as a quick getaway. Its a fun itinerary, you can just 'go with the flow' and you don't need to spend weeks of planning extensive excursions. I would suggest taking the one where Key West is first. On the other one, you have to get up and do a quick customs check upon docking in Key West, even though its not your final destination. One more suggestion; since these short trips are less expensive, splurge on a larger balcony, an aqua class cabin, or even a suite. :)

The Connie is one of my favorite ships. I'll be doing a TA in November and 14 days in December. Many people do B2B cruises on Connie. Two wonderful Captain's, Nicholas and Tasos, and a great crew. Love Tuscan Grill and Ocean Liners. I once asked a new cruiser how she would describe Constellation. Her response was " very comfortable". Think that's a good description.

We took the Constellation 5 day this spring and it was our first cruise on Celebrity. We had a wonderful time and were so impressed with the ship we booked another cruise on her while aboard. I had also been only on Carnival but now I know what a cruise is.

We love the Constellation and take the 5 night once a year as a quick getaway. Its a fun itinerary, you can just 'go with the flow' and you don't need to spend weeks of planning extensive excursions. I would suggest taking the one where Key West is first. On the other one, you have to get up and do a quick customs check upon docking in Key West, even though its not your final destination. One more suggestion; since these short trips are less expensive, splurge on a larger balcony, an aqua class cabin, or even a suite. :)

This is GREAT information and guidance. My first ever cruise last year was on a Connie 4 night trip. I got a last minute deal getting the penthouse for only $4200. It spoiled me, and got me hooked.

The point about customs and key west is a good one. I did connie this spring and had to do the early morning clearance thing and it was sill, but had to be done. US customs require you to clear customs at the "first port of entry" after visiting foreign ports, so we dod Lauderdale to Cozumel (foreign) to KeyWest, and to clear customs, to Fort Lauderdale, which I swear we again had to clear customs, if memory serves me.

The other routing it is FLL to Key West (no need to clear customs, as no foreign ports had yet been visited) then Coz, then FLL to clear customs when leaving the cruise.

Would you recommend Concierge class or Aqua?

Aqua, it may cost a bit more, but Concierge really is just a normal veranda cabin with a fluffy robe. The cabin is a bit bigger (only on M class which I note you are talking about Connie), but I really don't think it's that much noticeable. With aqua you get some spa perks and BLU.

There's a thread going titled something like "Is Concierge Still Relevant" search for it and it has a good analysis of the differences.

Concierge used to be the bridge between suites and verandas, now it's really just a slightly more expensive veranda, and Aqua is the real bridge between categories.

I say if you want to spend extra do Aqua, if not save even more and do standard veranda and spend the savings at a specialty restaurant to take the place of missing BLU in Aqua.

I agree with everyone above. Sailed on the Connie 5 nights in February. As you will note from my cruise history, we do love to cruise and really enjoy longer cruises now. Five nights was just too short for me but we did have a few nights pre-cruise in Ft. Lauderdale which made up for it.

We also had Aqua class for the first time. Cabin and balcony are no larger than a Category 2 cabin. You get a few perks like infused water, bottled water free and afternoon snacks but you need to be in your cabin. We enjoyed Blu for breakfast but joined friends in the MDR for dinner. I've never had a bad cruise, so remain optimistic on every ship. Go for it but if you can sail 7 nights, that would be preferred. Martini bar is smaller on M class ships but still a great place to go.

Edited by Nanatravel

This November were going on Carnival it cost us 994 after a refund for a suite, sure we get a whirlpool tub, and priority embarkation. I guess on other lines 1000 goes a long way in what you get for a suite. We couldn't afford a suite on Celebrity but even Aqua or concergire, that 1000 goes along way in treatment.

Connie is our favourite ship, having sailed on her for two months on a back to back last year and many times before.

To start out I would recommend a balcony on deck 6, the frugal sweet spot that allows one to sample the ship, get a large balcony to enjoy (larger than most AQ and concierge balconies and still have money left over to try a specialty restaurant or two. AQ will get you a dedicated intimate dining room in Blu but for the price difference one may be able to dine in the specialty restaurants most nights.

We've occupied, insides, ocean views, balconies, concierge, AQ, Sky Suite and Royal Suite on the Connie but on our next cruise we again picked a cabin on 6.

We cruise often and time at sea is more important than the type of accommodations when cruising on a budget.

Enjoy the Connie and perhaps you too will become a Connieseur.

Our only (so far) Celebrity cruise was on the Connie, and we loved it!:) I'm in the process of slowly posting a review (Constellation Baltic Trip Report), and I'll be posting some pictures of the ship in the next few days. We had an aft AQ cabin, and we also really enjoyed BLU...to me, the special dining venue was well worth the price of admission.:D

I have cruised all Celebrity ships sailing since 1992 except Reflection, and Connie remains my favorite ship (with the beautiful Equinox running a close second). M class ships (Millennium class, of which Connie is a part) are older, but very well kept. They are smaller in size but not small, which many of us feel is a decided advantage. Being smaller, there are fewer options for bars, etc.., but plenty to keep you occupied. The average Celebrity cruiser (if there is such a thing:)) tends to be of a slightly higher age range than you are, but the rule of thumb is that shorter cruises tend to skew a bit younger; while longer cruises (over 7-10 days) almost always skew older. So trying out Connie for a five night would be a good first choice - just keep in mind that the age group and therefore the ambiance may be a bit more lively on the shorter cruises than on the longer Celebrity cruise.

On our last Carnival cruise there was people all the way up to 70, so I guess it doesn't matter what cruiseline it is, would you say the Connie is fancy, I think that's what my DW thinks it is .

On our last Carnival cruise there was people all the way up to 70, so I guess it doesn't matter what cruiseline it is, would you say the Connie is fancy, I think that's what my DW thinks it is .

I'd say it's the same dress during the day as any cruise line. However once dinner time comes, people change into what I'd call "resort casual" which for men is long pants, be they pants or jeans, and golf and polo shirts. Many men wear sports coats even on non-formal nights.

It's quite rare to see people after 6pm in shorts or pool attire unless they are actually using the pool or fitness center still.

And as to Carnival versus Celebrity, there is no pool towel accounting, no signing it out and back in again. Apparently Celebrity trusts us not to rob them blind of the cheap pool towels, if that makes them fancy :-)

Edited by cle-guy

The Connie is definitely not fancy! :D You will see people in every type of attire imaginable. On the shorter 5 night cruises, even more so, plus a younger demographic. There will be one formal night but you only need to dress up for that if you choose to eat in the main dining room that night. You can pretty much wear shorts into the evening if you so choose - just not to dinner in any venue, except the buffet. Also, the Sunset Bar is very casual - even in the evenings - and a nice place to "hang out" if you don't wish to dress up.

I think you would enjoy your first Celebrity cruise on her. The crew on the Connie is second to none!!

If I may expound on Cruisenut's description of the deck 6 cabins. There are only 4 Concierge Class cabins on deck 6 that are either larger or have larger balconies. 6135/36 have a larger balcony. The cabins connect to a suite and have fittings to match the décor. 6143/44 are a little larger and have a larger balcony. There is a Sky Suite adjacent (not connecting) on one side and the butler's pantry on the other. There is an exterior service area adjacent to the balconies of 6143/44.

NoSaints1. Physically the Connie and the Summit are equals. They have the same cabin layouts and some of the specialty restaurants may have different names or themes. The décor is not identical since there is quite an emphasis on original art on each ship which gives each a distinctive feel. Both are wonderful. We don't find the ships dressy or formal at all.

If I may expound on Cruisenut's description of the deck 6 cabins. There are only 4 Concierge Class cabins on deck 6 that are either larger or have larger balconies. 6135/36 have a larger balcony. The cabins connect to a suite and have fittings to match the décor. 6143/44 are a little larger and have a larger balcony. There is a Sky Suite adjacent (not connecting) on one side and the butler's pantry on the other. There is an exterior service area adjacent to the balconies of 6143/44.

NoSaints1. Physically the Connie and the Summit are equals. They have the same cabin layouts and some of the specialty restaurants may have different names or themes. The décor is not identical since there is quite an emphasis on original art on each ship which gives each a distinctive feel. Both are wonderful. We don't find the ships dressy or formal at all.

It think he was referring to the "sweet 16" front balcony cabins that have much bigger balconies, and i believe are standard 2C Balconies.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Here's another vote for Constellation being a FANTASTIC ship. Sailed her several times along with her sister ships, Millennium and Summit. I'd highly recommend Constellation for a first cruise on Celebrity.

While there is a formal night on Celebrity's short cruises, you can choose to skip that and either go to the Oceanview Cafe (casual dining on Deck 10) or one of the specialty restaurants. All other nights are resort casual.

Summit is the older sister of Constellation. Very similar in layout and amenities. If I were choosing between the two, I'd choose Constellation. From what I read and from friends who recently disembarked Summit, I think Constellation is in better shape.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose.

How's the entertainment, do you feel crowded on Celebrity ships, how easy is it to find your way around? We found on Carnival to get to one place you would have to go up a flight of stairs than back down.