When does your "cruise" start?

marshhawk

Is it when you get to port?

Is it when you board the ship?

Is it when the ship leaves the dock?

I love the excitement of getting to the port, the people all happy to be going on a cruise, but to me it's when I hear the ding when my Sail and Sign card is first swiped to get on the ship. When I take that step from "ground" to "sea" the weights of the world drop off my shoulders, and I am on cruise mode.:D

The vacation starts the night before. We eat out because we've emptied the fridge, dropped off our furbabies at their home away from home where we know they will be loved on, gotten the luggage packed and hung up our clothes for the next morning. The cruise begins when we step up and put our SeaPass card in the machine and hear the familiar pings.

It "unofficially" starts the minute DH walks through the door on the last work day before the cruise. We may still have a million things to do, the atmosphere is different.

That's the way it is for us too, but it really starts when we pull out of the driveway...and the further away we get from home, the more relaxed we are :cool:

Is it when you get to port?

Is it when you board the ship?

Is it when the ship leaves the dock?

I love the excitement of getting to the port, the people all happy to be going on a cruise, but to me it's when I hear the ding when my Sail and Sign card is first swiped to get on the ship. When I take that step from "ground" to "sea" the weights of the world drop off my shoulders, and I am on cruise mode.:D

Since we always have a connecting flight to get to port city we stay overnight in a hotel the night before the cruise. That is a preliminary start to our vacation but the actual cruise for us doesn't start until after we have our sea card and are aboard ship. All the stressors are over and we can truly relax.

Edited by NMLady

I guess for me, I feel it starts a little later than the others. Even though I always board early, eat early, and enjoy a drink or 2, my "ahhhh" moment is when the muster drill is over and I turned off my phone. That's when I feel my cruise has officially begun.

Edited by Aquahound

That is exactly the way it is with me. That step makes it all real. The whole cruise is still in front of me. True bliss!

Since we had a mishap on our last cruise:

We had missing luggage (both our bags and half of the plane) from the airline on last cruise - thankfully the embarkation port (Buenos Aries) was an overnight port and although arriving in Buenos Aries 3 days before the cruise left port our luggage made it to the airport the day we were leaving port - 5 hours before sail away.:eek: We spent our last day in BA taking a cab to the airport to pick up our bags.

So, my cruise no longer starts when I check in at the pier - now I wait until I have my luggage, then go to the pool bar and get my first drink!:D

Even though it is about 3 hours to the nearest port, once the garage door is down is the start of our vacation. We enjoy the trip to the port as we talk about what we might want to do aboard ship and in port, etc. I usually fall asleep about an hour into the car trip and do the head-bobbing thinks that my husband finds so funny. : )