Cruises to Cuba

godawgs2012

With the news that the US will open a Embassy in Havana and will move to lift the embargo, would anyone be interested in a Princess cruise to Cuba if this all pans out? I think that it would most likely revitalize Caribbean cruising, having access to a port that has been closed off for decades. Thoughts?

With the news that the US will open a Embassy in Havana and will move to lift the embargo, would anyone be interested in a Princess cruise to Cuba if this all pans out? I think that it would most likely revitalize Caribbean cruising, having access to a port that has been closed off for decades. Thoughts?

Depending on how relaxed the relations become, that could be a possibility.

Having visited Cuba, though, I would not do it on a cruise. Too much to see and experience on 1 or 2 half/full day port stops. I guess, though, they could get enough people checking off bucket lists to make it plausible, but if things relax enough then there will be more competition for the land tours which would lower prices.

Depending on how relaxed the relations become, that could be a possibility.

Having visited Cuba, though, I would not do it on a cruise. Too much to see and experience on 1 or 2 half/full day port stops. I guess, though, they could get enough people checking off bucket lists to make it plausible, but if things relax enough then there will be more competition for the land tours which would lower prices.

I have to agree with this - while I'd jump on the chance to take a cruise to Cuba, I'd love to take a land tour there as well. Maybe cruise lines could make this an overnight port in the Caribbean? The ports are close enough that you could feasibly overnight and still visit the regulars.

I would love to vista Cuba, Canadians have been traveling there for years and marvelling at the beautiful beaches and the wonderful people. It's about time, we have relations with far worse countries than Cuba, it's time to put the last vestiges of the cold war in the past.

I can guarantee that once this happens, the place will boom.

No telling how it will shake out, but the Cuban people (including some high ranking economists and tourism personnel that we spoke with) are intending for a slow and steady growth rather than a booming one. They do not want another St. Martin/St. Thomas/Cozumel circus on the island.

Of course, once the almighty dollar is dangled in front of them, who knows? But Canadians and Europeans have been traveling there for years and the Cubans have managed to keep a pretty steady hand on controls. We saw a good number of resorts, but none that we would consider "out of control" which is the case in most of the Bahamas/Caribbean.

Having visited the country I would hate to see large number of cruise ships visiting . The number of visitors would probably destroy the charm that Cuba has now including the 1950's cars. Even now the importation of European cars , bus and fords from Mexico is forcing the disappearance of the old 1950's vehicle.

Cuba probably should stay as a soft adventure cruise with small ship access to it's many ports. Currently there is a small ship cruise from Jamaica that does Cuba as a one week cruise.

Edited by Kamloops50

I would love to vista Cuba, Canadians have been traveling there for years and marvelling at the beautiful beaches and the wonderful people. It's about time, we have relations with far worse countries than Cuba, it's time to put the last vestiges of the cold war in the past.

While we have no interest in beaches, I've been talking about Cuba forever. We are definitely interested.

I would love to cruise to Cuba, and am very happy to see this thaw in relations. However, from what I've been reading this morning, there will still be a ban on tourism to Cuba. I hope this isn't the case. Why go through this normalizing of relations and then continue to prohibit US citizens from vacationing in Cuba?

Don't hold your breath on a cruise to Cuba. With its bad government still violating human rights, cozy relationship with Russia, and extreme poverty it will be several years before cruise ships start heading there

In the meantime I wish princess would offer cruises to Martinique or St Barts. Both offer incredible beaches, great nightlife, and plenty of day excursions. Come on Princess lets move on these fun ports I mean how many times can we visit St Thomas or Grand Turk????

Be well all!

Don't hold your breath on a cruise to Cuba. With its bad government still violating human rights, cozy relationship with Russia, and extreme poverty it will be several years before cruise ships start heading there

In the meantime I wish princess would offer cruises to Martinique or St Barts. Both offer incredible beaches, great nightlife, and plenty of day excursions. Come on Princess lets move on these fun ports I mean how many times can we visit St Thomas or Grand Turk????

Be well all!

We have been to both Martinique and St Barts on Princess cruises. They stopped going to Martinique because passengers did not like it, with language issues and the use of Euros. St Barts requires anchoring/tendering and is probably too much a pain in the butt.

Not sure about "cozy relationship with Russia" because Princess visits Russia...and lots of islands have extreme poverty.

Be well all!

Canadian and UK cruise ships have been going there for years! Fred Olsen is one and this is another

http://www.yourcubacruise.com/Default.aspx

huge Cruise Critic thread here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1850565&highlight=americans

Be well all!

I would not trade one day in Cuba for a week in either Martinique or St. Barth and we have been to all 3. And you are contrasting "extreme poverty" (where in Cuba have you witnessed this?) in Cuba to Martinique?

Be well all!

St. Barts would be overwhelmed by the 3,000+ passengers on a "normal" cruise ship. We have been there a number of times but on a ship with a max of 110 passengers. Still find St. Barts a very crowded small island.

Congress will still need to vote to change the existing law on the embargo before US cruise ships will be able to go. Not likely considering the makeup of Congress.

The current changes involve actions by the executive branch and the Department of the Treasury that currently controls non-tourism travel to Cuba.

The current actions to relax seem to be primarily negotiated to get Cuba to release the US citizen.

Cruises to Cuba would fit nicely into the 3-5 day short cruise from Miami and Port Everglades. If Princess wanted to be creative it would offer pax a overnight land tour getting off in Havana and back on in Santiago.

Who will be the first to offer tours to Gitmo?

Count me as one who would enjoy a visit to Cuba. However, I think that will possibility for a US Citizen on a US cruise ship to be a pretty long way down the road...I'm 42 now and hopefully by the time I retire.

I sincerely hope there would be democracy at that time and one that does not allow DI and the other cruise "shops" onto their island.