Rant - "too many kids on board"

So often I see threads about "too many kids" on board a ship.

Well ya' know what - I don't drink but I never see threads about "too many drunks" on board; I'm not old and don't complain about all the seniors on board; nor would I ever post about it. :rolleyes:

We were all kids once! Sure the child's behavior will depend on the parents and the way their child has been raised. But what about these adults that over drink and act very childish? Who is responsible for their behavior? I don't care to be around those types, so we steer clear of the bars and avoid those people if at all possible.

We do cruise with our son - always have and always will take him. We home school and usually cruise during the off season. I am always hoping there are lots of kids on board so he won't be alone :D

It just seems to me that if you want a vacation without children - then take that vacation (an all adult, all inclusive perhaps - it's what we did when we wanted a kidless vacation).

Clearly a cruise is family friendly and affordable so there will always be kids on board - especially during holidays and summers.

Sorry - that is my rant - I don't post much but I just don't "get" it and felt the need to rant :o

Happy Cruising!

I agree with you about the drunks. I do like to drink and have a great time, but I don't get sh*t faced!

We stayed at an all inclusive adult only in Mexico on our last vacation. There were no less than 10 wedding parties there and they were OBNOXIOUS!

First couple of days, it was fun watching, but after a while it wasn't.

On the other side of the coin, so to speak. I have been on vacations when children were allowed to run wild. I know not all children are like that but many are.

I just stay away from kids areas like you do bars.

I think you're blurring the lines between an unreasonable complaint and an honest observation. I'm a pediatrician. I work with kids all day long. Nights, weekend, holidays... I deal with kids. When I have time off, I want a break from kids! As such, I tend to cruise at times when it is less likely to encounter large numbers of children. September and January are great for me, because very few people take them out of school right after the sessions begin.

Perhaps some of these "complaints" you are railing against are simply lamentations or observations. Furthermore, I find it very helpful when people share their experience with regards to there being a lot of children on a particular itinerary at a particular time. As it helps me plan accordingly.

Lastly, it seems rather shortsighted to take your home schooled child on cruises during the off season and then hope there are lots of children on board. Honestly, it sounds about as backwards as cruising on a school vacation week and complaining about all the kids!:rolleyes:

Well ya' know what - I don't drink but I never see threads about "too many drunks" on board; I'm not old and don't complain about all the seniors on board; nor would I ever post about it. :rolleyes:

We were all kids once! Sure the child's behavior will depend on the parents and the way their child has been raised. But what about these adults that over drink and act very childish? Who is responsible for their behavior? I don't care to be around those types, so we steer clear of the bars and avoid those people if at all possible.

We do cruise with our son - always have and always will take him. We home school and usually cruise during the off season. I am always hoping there are lots of kids on board so he won't be alone :D

It just seems to me that if you want a vacation without children - then take that vacation (an all adult, all inclusive perhaps - it's what we did when we wanted a kidless vacation).

Clearly a cruise is family friendly and affordable so there will always be kids on board - especially during holidays and summers.

Sorry - that is my rant - I don't post much but I just don't "get" it and felt the need to rant :o

Happy Cruising!

Don't take it personally. I looked at the other thread - I have sailed with my children many times and I took no offence at the post. And even thought my next cruise will be with my two children, I can understand the posters reluctance to sail with 1,000 children - it changes the overall feel of the cruise.

When I read the post about horrible kids I don't bat an eye because I know that mine are not the ones running the halls and sitting on the stairs. They like spending vacation time with Mom and Dad which suits me fine. So if your child is well behaved and well supervised just rest in the thought that they are talking about somebody else's kid - and agree with them - you don't want to be around the brat they describe either.

We cruised last week, the middle of summer and yes there were plenty of kids on board, but honestly I never noticed them. Perhaps I was at different places (solarium) or maybe they were a group of exceptionally well behaved kids!

Yes - the regular pool were crowded, and the kids splashed all over but hey it is a pool, what do other adults expect?

We had over 200 Quinceaneras on board and unless you saw then entering the dining room ( all well dressed), on their special beach area at Coco Cay or at their private parties you would not know they were in board.

RCCL is a family cruise line.

M

I must be the one lucky because I don't see all these drunks that so many on Cruise Critic use to buttress their defense of unruly kids, balcony smokers, or any other poor behavior they choose to defend. Happy sailing! ;)

I think you're blurring the lines between an unreasonable complaint and an honest observation. I'm a pediatrician. I work with kids all day long. Nights, weekend, holidays... I deal with kids. When I have time off, I want a break from kids! As such, I tend to cruise at times when it is less likely to encounter large numbers of children. September and January are great for me, because very few people take them out of school right after the sessions begin.

Perhaps some of these "complaints" you are railing against are simply lamentations or observations. Furthermore, I find it very helpful when people share their experience with regards to there being a lot of children on a particular itinerary at a particular time. As it helps me plan accordingly.

Lastly, it seems rather shortsighted to take your home schooled child on cruises during the off season and then hope there are lots of children on board. Honestly, it sounds about as backwards as cruising on a school vacation week and complaining about all the kids!:rolleyes:

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other if there are lots of kids or none although there usually is a fair amount no matter what time of year we cruise.

We do not cruise for my son to have companions as we spend most of our time together.

My main point was I do not complain or worry about "too many of this or that" on board and just don't understand why it is such an issue. No one can speculate the number of children on any cruise - but it would be safe to assume that there will be more during the holidays and over the summer.

Just go and have fun - avoid what you don't want to be around - it's that simple.

Cruises with to many kids are much more fun then cruises with to many whiny seniors. With kids you have active parents around the ship contributing to the fun with seniors you have clogged halls piss and moan attitudes that everyone is rushing them. That is until it's time to disembark all of a sudden they all move like gazelles to exit. Love kids dislike seniors.

(edited out) We had over 200 Quinceaneras on board and unless you saw then entering the dining room ( all well dressed), on their special beach area at Coco Cay or at their private parties you would not know they were in board.

RCCL is a family cruise line.

M

We were on a cruise with a large group of quinceaneras from Brazil (I think they have a different name for it) and found them to be very well behaved young ladies. We saw them around the ship and shore and they caused no issues at all yet I heard people complaining. Sometimes people make a big deal out of small things and I am sure on occasion kids do cause problems but in general it's no different then anywhere else.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I must be the one lucky because I don't see all these drunks that so many on Cruise Critic use to buttress their defense of unruly kids, balcony smokers, or any other poor behavior they choose to defend. Happy sailing! ;)

As I don't see all the unruly kids.

It's all in what you chose to "see." If you do not smoke - you will smell every cigarette that is lit; if you do not stay up late, you will be bothered by those walking down the hall at all hours; if you don't drink you will notice all the drunks; if you don't care for kids, you will see every little devil child on the ship.

As a side note, I was once in an elevator with a drunk man in his undies who was trying to find his room :o

It takes all kinds - and they all like to cruise :D

Now you've offended me..lol:D. Whiny senior I am not..lol (remember the old moaners were once young moaners people don't change) at my advanced age I've learnt to live and let live and realise someone will always complain about something or someone unfortunately that's life. Take it all with a pinch of salt unless someone has a valid complaint or has received bad treatment then that's a different matter. Just go and cruise gave a great time and forget others who have nothing better to do than moan.

Cruises with to many kids are much more fun then cruises with to many whiny seniors. With kids you have active parents around the ship contributing to the fun with seniors you have clogged halls piss and moan attitudes that everyone is rushing them. That is until it's time to disembark all of a sudden they all move like gazelles to exit. Love kids dislike seniors.

Some day you will be one, and then you can stay at home.

Well,I'm a senior and love to have kids on board. They give life wherever they are.I moved from a predominately senior subdivision to one with plenty of kids. If you don't want kids, don't cruise Christmas time, spring break, or summer, when the kids are out of school. Another idea would be HAL, where they roll in the decks at 9PM.

Some day you will be one, and then you can stay at home.

It gets to me that young people never realize someday they will be seniors. I agree that if you were whiny when you were younger you will be whiny when you are older. As far as kids go, most are fine, it's the parents that never seem to notice their kids are acting up!!!!

But what about these adults that over drink and act very childish? Who is responsible for their behavior? !

I agree with you one hundred tri-million percent and for the record, I only had 2-2-2 beers and a vodka martini.

As for the seniors on board, they usually don't run around the ship, yelling, and flicking boogers. They're all in the Solarium where it's warm. They're like reptiles. The heat keeps their blood circulating. :p

Happy cruising.

... No one can speculate the number of children on any cruise - but it would be safe to assume that there will be more during the holidays and over the summer...
Okay - speculation is wrong, but assumptions are alright.

:confused::confused:

...(remember the old moaners were once young moaners people don't change).....

When younger, I was not a moaner.

But now that I am getting older,

I will moan more, it is one of the perks of getting old !

;)