Anyone fly British Airways?

dickinson

My next step is picking a hotel in London to spend 1.5 days.... Any suggestions about where is a centrally located area for us to start looking into? We don't mind walking lots of places. Also we will check into tours or HOHO buses. Not being familiar with a city

Given that you've never been to London, I'm going to guess that you want to see the so-called "must see" tourist attractions. If so, I'd look for a hotel in the Westminster area. That's near Victoria Station and I believe you mentioned arriving at there. In that area of London you'll be in easy walking distance to Buckingham Palace, St. James Park, Westminster Abbey, and the London Eye. As a first timer, the HOHO bus isn't a bad idea, and there is also a boat ride you can take up the Thames to Greenwich and back....it's a relaxing way to see the city from the water. We did it a few years ago on a hot afternoon when we were tired of walking and really enjoyed getting away from the crowds to sit and watch the city go by for a while. The London Eye is also a fun way to get a bird's eye view of the city.

We had a day and a half in London this past summer as well, and we went to the Evensong service at Westminster Abbey, which is something I've always wanted to do. St. James Park is really lovely and worth a stroll no matter what else you do or don't do. Enjoy!

Thanks everyone who responded with things to do and where to stay. Never having been to London we definitely want to see the places we have always heard about. We are going again in July a few days before we go on our British Isles cruise so we can see other things then. We booked the British Isles cruise first and then saw this great deal on a transatlantic which was too good to pass up. It just requires tons of planning in a short period of time. After all this I am sure I will feel like an expert if I go back again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's possible that you won't be able to get an advance seat assignment at any cost due to the cheap fares the cruise lines get. You might be limited to center seats.

My opinion is that I pay a huge amount of money for a European/Asian/etc. vacation. I'm going to do anything I can to arrive there as rested as possible--which usually means shelling out the cash for at least premium economy, but more likely business (or when feasible) first class.

No, even business class passengers not flying on a premium frequent flyer status will need to pay for an advanced seat assignment.

Speaking about JFK T4, which DL uses:

Yes, the concourse extension is new. However, that doesn't make it a good deal. LONG walks with few moving walkways, major time issues depending on your luck at C&I, and the fact that you only have 3 hours to do everything. Some reports are that it's now worse than when they used T2 and T3.

I have a sneaking suspicion that your sister (who recommended this) is getting back at you for something you did to her as a kid.....:D

We always fly to New York City and spend two or three days before boarding the early morning British Airways flight to London. We don't like the "over-night" flights that arrive early morning the next day; disorientating and you can't check in to your hotel that early (usually). Never could sleep on an airplane.

By the way, that flight is right at six hours and you arrive early evening; check in to your hotel; walk around the neighborhood and go to bed late that night. The next day, no jet-lag and begin your normal routines.

We will do this again in May!

Kel:)

Just in my personal opinion, my choices would be (in descending order):

1) Nonstop from BWI (pay a bit to choose seats if you can, or even bump up to premium economy if you can afford it)

2) Drive to Dulles and fly nonstop from there on BA, Virgin or United

3) Connect in any city other than JFK

4) Connect via Antarctica, Neptune and the Gates of Hell (yes, all three layovers)

5) Connect via jFK

Honestly, there's just no point in going via JFK. Pretty much any other city would be better to connect through, should you really want to connect. Philly, Boston, even backtracking to Atlanta or Charlotte would be better, in my opinion, than going through JFK. The two airports I actively avoid in the US are JFK and MIA. Not always possible, but I try my best.

But the lounge in Antarctica is nice and Hell has a really good coffee shop right by the gates. :D

Sometimes I wonder why people even bother coming on here and asking for advice. They get plenty of good options and end up doing what they want anyway. And it usually seems like it is really the worst option. Plenty of people on here with many many many flights around the world under their belts and all that knowledge is just wasted sometimes. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I wonder why people even bother coming on here and asking for advice. They get plenty of good options and end up doing what they want anyway. And it usually seems like it is really the worst option. Plenty of people on here with many many many flights around the world under their belts and all that knowledge is just wasted sometimes. :rolleyes:

Don't belittle a person because they did not take your advise. Sometimes there are other factors involved that are not mentioned. Also this is anonymous advice on the internet. You can't believe everything that is posted and have to do what is best for you.

I have a sneaking suspicion that your sister (who recommended this) is getting back at you for something you did to her as a kid.....:D

No , my sister and I are the best of friends. :) Also, we love to walk.

Don't belittle a person because they did not take your advise. Sometimes there are other factors involved that are not mentioned. Also this is anonymous advice on the internet. You can't believe everything that is posted and have to do what is best for you.

So why even bother posting the question if you think we're all out to stitch you up?

Yes, the concourse extension is new. However, that doesn't make it a good deal. LONG walks with few moving walkways, major time issues depending on your luck at C&I, and the fact that you only have 3 hours to do everything. Some reports are that it's now worse than when they used T2 and T3.

You have to re-do the TSA circus also, right? I haven't come home via JFK in awhile (but leave frequently). If true, know that may add substantial waiting/wasting time unless the OP has DL Plat status (or higher) or has Global Entry or paid PreCheck. I have heard anecdotal information on the another forum (named after FlyerTalker ;) ) that it can take 45 minutes to walk from one end of T4 to the other. Not all flights are out of T4 yet - today, the JFK-BWI flight was out of T2, so the OP may have to do the Terminal shuffle. I get to endure the JFK circus inside of a month, but mine is self-induced because I am using my SkyPesos to get to Rome and the only low-level Business award available in my short notice (3 months out) was my home airport-JFK and then Alitalia JFK-Rome and repeat home. My eyes were wide open on this one and am fully prepared to deal with it. I've got my GE and Business class boarding card to ease things a little through TSA and Customs/Passport control.

One thing for the OP: Yes, only "under seat" size things can fit in the overhead of the RJ that you will take from JFK-BWI, but they have plane-side check of rollers that have fit on the mainline flights. So, if you want to do the 21" carryon, you can do it.

Edited by slidergirl

My bet is that many posts are not searching for pre-purchase information, but rather for post-purchase confirmation of the existing choice.

As for providing information....I keep remembering the old line: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

Don't belittle a person because they did not take your advise. Sometimes there are other factors involved that are not mentioned.
And we are supposed to be able to conjure those factors out of thin air if the OP never mentions them? If they are that darned important, why are they kept a secret?

I don't give a whit whether anyone takes my advice. I don't try to belittle any person's choices - that's what free will is all about. But if you wish to prove your stubbornness in the face of rational facts....

Also this is anonymous advice on the internet. You can't believe everything that is posted and have to do what is best for you.
So let's try to work this logically.

1) You post a question in this anonymous forum on the internet

2) You get answers back from individuals who have a proven track record of knowing what they are talking about.

3) You now discount the information provided, claiming that "you can't believe everything that's posted and have to do what is best for you".

4) Which therefore destroys any rational reason for having engaged in #1 above in the first place. If you are going to discount and push aside information provided as a result of your initial question, why bother to ask in the first place?

All of which leads, inevitably, to the conclusion that this is a search for post-hoc confirmation of an already-reached decision.

Have a nice flight. Enjoy the scenic delights of JFK. Write if you escape.

And yes, this may be mean. Not intended to be. It is also quite grounded in reality. And in the end....reality always trumps narrative.

• 2 weeks later...

Our recent trips to Europe, we usually look at flights on British Airways from London to other European cities. For example, in this instance, we flew from London to Rome (to catch a cruise) on British Airways.

I think the BA website is very easy to use. The fares are cheaper if you do not have check-in luggage.

Video of the flight. A short flight and we got a sandwich.

[YOUTUBE]j_69sW_Rbb4[/YOUTUBE]

I realize that OP has booked and is flying from LHR, but just for general info, United Airlines has a nonstop IAD-LHR which is a day flight. You can't beat that.

I agree and also like this flight. It's a long trip coming from the west coast to Europe, and hating red eyes more and more, I choose this option when possible.

Not really sure how this can be a "waste of time", but everyone chooses their own poison.

Not really sure how this can be a "waste of time", but everyone chooses their own poison.
It can eat up an extra day's holiday time; and some people would prefer either not to take the extra holiday time, or to spend that extra day at their destination rather than sitting on an aircraft.

But if you can afford the time, the day flight is a very nice way of crossing the Atlantic eastbound. Earlier this week, I did it for the first time in many years. Fortunately my body clock had not yet fully adjusted, so the 4.45 am alarm was not too painful.

I prefer an overnight so I can sleep and immediately get myself acclimated to the local time zone. It might not be great sleep, and is often inly 4-5 hours, but that's enough to get me until 9:00-10:00 pm the first day and wake up at 6:00 the following morning.

It can eat up an extra day's holiday time; and some people would prefer either not to take the extra holiday time, or to spend that extra day at their destination rather than sitting on an aircraft.

But if you can afford the time, the day flight is a very nice way of crossing the Atlantic eastbound. Earlier this week, I did it for the first time in many years. Fortunately my body clock had not yet fully adjusted, so the 4.45 am alarm was not too painful.

G,

I agree, the day flight is the way to go! That over-night flight is torture for us, and dazed and confused is not the way I want to start a vacation.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Everyone seems to acclimate differently to E & W time zone changes and the time of day of their flight. Both DH and I seem to have opposite body clocks. I like a late night flight, while he does better during the day.

For our upcoming trip, we are leaving BOS a few minutes shy of 11:PM and arriving LHR at 9:20AM - then wait for a gate, customs/immigrations and tote the luggage to LHR Express and arriving at the hotel late morning. We'll go for a long walk, tea at the Orangery, then take a short nap with plans to hit a pub in the evening. On this flight, I'll probably be sound asleep before we reach cruising altitude, while he's reading his Kindle, watching the flight path on the monitor and having a drink or two.

So, for this trip, I got to select the time; next trip we'll do an early morning flight from BOS to LHR and I'll be irritable for about 24 hours.

West bound is better tolerated. Best advice - stay well hydrated even if the wine is free.

Darcy

You don't need a day room, you should be well rested and ready to hit the sights. All respectable hotels will happily hold your bags until check in time. You don't need a HoHo. To be honest, with only half of the first day and then the next you can't do it all. I'd choose the three or four most important things and do those. My list would probably be the Churchill War Rooms, St. Paul's Cathedral, the British Museum, and the Tower of London. Maybe hit the TKTS booth for discounted show tickets the first night.

The Doubletree is only a few blocks from Victoria Station, and is reasonable--for London where everything is outrageously expensive. (Expect to spend 150-200% of what you think you will there) You can walk from there to Buckingham Palace, Westminster, CWR's, and the British Museum. I would take the tube to St. Paul's and the Tower of London.

One thing to note: Cabs in London are ridiculously expensive and drivers surly and beyond rude. Download the Uber app and use them. Drivers are courteous and safe.

If you can manage your luggage, take the tube to LHR. It's 5 pounds 30 per person from Zone 1. Take the District or Circle line and change for the Picadilly line to LHR (make sure you get on the train for the correct terminal) at So Kensington or Gloucester Road.

Can't let that slur on London cabbies go unchallenged. I assume you mean black cab drivers, who speak English as their first language and have to pass a test to ensure that they have memorised every street name and location in the central London area? How many taxi drivers in the US have to pass a test about all the street names in their own cities and speak fluent English? Sure, there will always be some cabbies that are having a bad day, but to demonise them all seems very unfair.

Can't let that slur on London cabbies go unchallenged. I assume you mean black cab drivers, who speak English as their first language and have to pass a test to ensure that they have memorised every street name and location in the central London area? How many taxi drivers in the US have to pass a test about all the street names in their own cities and speak fluent English? Sure, there will always be some cabbies that are having a bad day, but to demonise them all seems very unfair.

Where did I ever say a word about the ability to speak English? We had one who flat out ripped us off by quoting a fare of 60 pounds and then charging 90. We had four others who refused to accept credit cards even though they displayed the logos of same. We had another who refused to take us because he was going off duty in 10 minutes and it was "too far out of his way." We used Uber four times and each was a fantastic experience, and all of our Uber drivers spoke English, were safe and courteous, and because the fare is agreed upon through the app to begin with, there is no way of getting ripped off.

Everyone seems to acclimate differently to E & W time zone changes and the time of day of their flight. Both DH and I seem to have opposite body clocks. I like a late night flight, while he does better during the day.

You know...you could take separate flights and just meet in London.

I'll be irritable for about 24 hours.
No need to be irritable for 24 hours. Everybody's happy.

You know...you could take separate flights and just meet in London.

No need to be irritable for 24 hours. Everybody's happy.

Definitely a possibility. My wife and I looked at this once due to our schedule - flying from KC to London via Chicago, I would leave KC at 5am and get in to London @ 10:45pm, she would leave KC at about 6pm and get in to London around noon the next day. Didn't end up happening, but we were close.

Edited by Zach1213